Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NR Essentials #3: Prince - Purple Rain
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.26.2008, 06:40 PM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Mmm... the point I was making is that enjoying music isn't really about irony. Irony doesn't really enter into the equation. There's no-one who enjoys anything ironically. Irony is a non-sequitur in art. I believe that quite whole-heartedly. People may be mis-led, or just plain wrong, but irony doesn't really feature in the qualities that lead to appreciating any art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2008, 07:03 PM   #22
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Mmm... the point I was making is that enjoying music isn't really about irony. Irony doesn't really enter into the equation. There's no-one who enjoys anything ironically. Irony is a non-sequitur in art. I believe that quite whole-heartedly. People may be mis-led, or just plain wrong, but irony doesn't really feature in the qualities that lead to appreciating any art.

I have to disagree. I think people like Knifehandchop, Kid606 or Girl Talk pretty much make a career out of irony as art.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2008, 07:04 PM   #23
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Purple Rain is the shit.

Don't fuck with Prince. Minnesota pride, bitches.
Old 09.27.2008, 04:53 PM   #24
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Purple Rain is the shit.

Don't fuck with Prince. Minnesota pride, bitches.

Since the Trailways/Greyhound station is right down the street from 7th Street Entry, I got to see the club on a layover. I talked to a guy who was there during the early eighties when Prince and the Revolution were still playing there as a support act or (later) with their various support acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I'm more of a "Around the World in a Day" kinda guy

I love Purple Rain, but yeah, Around The World In a Day is a forgotten gem. It's my favorite.

I've mentioned this before, but the Purple Rain Original Motion Picture Soundtrack sparked the whole PMRC hearings thing.
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
The formation of the PMRC began in 1984 after Tipper Gore, along with her daughter Karenna, heard Prince's song "Darling Nikki." This track, which appears on the soundtrack to the film Purple Rain, contains references to sex and masturbation ("I knew a girl named Nikki/I guess you could say she was a sex fiend/I met her in a hotel lobby/Masturbating with a magazine").

Gore watched other rock music videos and concluded: "The images frightened my children, they frightened me! The graphic sex and the violence were too much for us to handle." Susan Baker became alarmed when she heard her seven-year-old daughter singing along with Madonna songs that Baker considered "suggestive." Gore and Baker, along with Howar and Nevius, formed the PMRC in May 1985.

The PMRC claimed that the change in rock music was attributable to the decay of the nuclear family in America. [1] Gore asserted that families are "haven[s] of moral stability" which protect children from outside influence, and that without the family structure rock music was "infecting the youth of the world with messages they cannot handle."
Thing is, the album has the lyrics printed right on it. Nevermind that it's also the soundtrack to an R-rated movie!

Um, I have the audio for his Superbowl XLI performance and also the warm-up gig from NFL Network. Have the video too, but alas, it's VHS. Yes, it was an amazing halftime show. Best ever.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2008, 08:47 PM   #25
Smokers Gifts
little trouble girl

Smokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's asses
I love Prince, but y'all want to listen to this

And find out where he got all his ideas from. Just listening to this today and funking out, it's nuts!
But yeah, Go Crazy, amazing, Doves Cry, super, Purple Rain= one of the best endings to an album ever. Half the songs on it wash over me though, there's a fair bit of filler. Looking at the track listing I can't remember what half the tracks sound like. Computer Love? Baby I'm a Star?
I would take a few tracks off each album over any one album of Prince's. Dirty Mind and Sign O the Times get more plays round here.
Smokers Gifts is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 12:12 PM   #26
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I have to disagree. I think people like Knifehandchop, Kid606 or Girl Talk pretty much make a career out of irony as art.

you're saying that like it's a good thing.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 02:06 PM   #27
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Take Me With U is purely amazing, lush and incredible...the intro & outro wall of sound is immense. It's certainly Wendy & Lisa's standout song. Wondering if anyone else has ever heard their touching ballad "This Is The Life."

When Doves Cry is intricate and intimate...melodic funky pop rock at its best...Prince's phrasing and multi-tracked vocal tones is are just remarkable. & the part in the video with the reverse imaging and all is magic.

Purple Rain and Let's Go Crazy are extremely good too! The others less so, but still fine.

I hope some of you downloaded the soundboards from the Purple Rain tour that I posted, I don't know, a year ago or so.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2014, 05:54 PM   #28
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bytor Peltor again.
Old 06.25.2014, 06:13 PM   #29
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2014, 08:47 PM   #30
noisereductions
invito al cielo

oddly, I actually DO have it on vinyl as well.
Old 06.25.2014, 10:58 PM   #31
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Minnesota won't shut up about it.
Prince eats it. Sorry.
Tasteless virtuosity and awful tone.
Nostalgia aside, fuck this music.
I really wish my town would get over the fucking 80s.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth