Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page nirvana ripped of sy
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.11.2006, 05:22 PM   #21
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
so fucking what?

Exactly. Not so many chords but some blistering songs. Nevermind really isn't a very good album but In Utero, Incesticide & Bleach are all excellent.

Was a fan bout 12-15 and then went through a phase of distain and snobbery brought on by all those little kids with the Cobain hoodies, Nirvana was a kids band so I ditched them. Only started to re-evaluate them about a year ago.

I think a lot of people go through this process.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 05:33 PM   #22
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlycommercial
Exactly. Not so many chords but some blistering songs. Nevermind really isn't a very good album but In Utero, Incesticide & Bleach are all excellent.

Was a fan bout 12-15 and then went through a phase of distain and snobbery brought on by all those little kids with the Cobain hoodies, Nirvana was a kids band so I ditched them. Only started to re-evaluate them about a year ago.

I think a lot of people go through this process.

You're totally right. I went through the exact same thing. I loved Nirvana as a kid, then I went through a time in my life where I didn't really like them and kinda thought they were overrated and not that great. It was only recently that I've kinda rediscovered my love for Nirvana. In Utero is just such a great album, I love it.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 07:47 PM   #23
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Whoever invented the electric guitar totally ripped it off of the acoustic guitar guy. And he ripped that off the lyre guy. They're such posers.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 10:25 PM   #24
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, way too much hate for Kurt Cobain around here. Very negative. You didn't even know him. And who are you to judge someone else's actions concerning themselves? So what if he committed suicude? That's not oyur business. They guy was addicted to drugs and was depressed. It happens to thousands of people every year. He was just another statistic.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 10:30 PM   #25
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
And I don't get why so many people here hate Nirvana. I know they're not the best band in the world ("best" of course always being a matter of opinion when it comes to art/music), but they were still a very good band. Sure Kurt mat not be the most technical guitarist or the best guitarist ever, and he may have taken a lot of influence from his heroes, but he had a lot of passion and he had determination. No one here is really in too much of a position ot make judgement calls on him. I doubt too many of you have ever met the man.

Old 06.11.2006, 10:35 PM   #26
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Oh, and one more thing, I'd listen to Nirvana over 95% of the other shit that's been super popular in the past 50 years any day of the week. Fuck Elvis! Fuck Hank Williams! Fuck Paul McCartney! Fuck Journey! Fuck Foreigner! Fuck Duran Duran! Fuck Pat Benetar! Fuck Poison! Fuck Motley Crue! Fuck Backstreet Boys! Fuck Hanson! Fuck Britney Spears! Fuck Candlebox! Fuck Pearl Jam! Fuck My Chemical Romance! Fuck it all! Give me In Utero.

Old 06.11.2006, 10:39 PM   #27
SolidZach
children of satan

SolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentata
Kurt is just a dumb asshole.

SolidZach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 04:00 AM   #28
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
theletsslagoffnirvanaandpretendweneverlistenedtoem atall
becausewearewaycoolerthanthat thread #25489761225456

so what. nirvana admitted to ripping off the pixies, the kinks, the knack, the stooges, sonic youth, buttholes, whoever, and so what and yeah they were huge if u guys wanna blame anyone for nirvanas huge money meltdown and multi million sales worldwide(which a lot seems to have a problem with???) well i sugest BLAME THURSTON AND KIM cuz wasnt it them that got them the geffen deal, wasnt it them that gave them the exposure pre nevermind, wasnt it them who let them tour with sy everywhere, wasnt it them who gave a lot on the line to stick with these 3 rockin guys from seattle, not because they were gonna make millions but because they rocked bigtime, well wasnt it? im so tired of all the nirvana hate threads on this board. so what if you dont think its cool not to like em, so what if it demeans your "streetcred indieness" so fucking what. i still wear my smiley nirvana shirt and in fact its sandwiched between my galaxie 500 and my fall shirt in my wardrobe, does that make me fake? does that make me uncool? do i give a monkeys?

look sorry for the rant but at the end of the day, the vast majority of us wouldnt be here posting on this thread if it wasnt for nirvana. and thats a fact so plaese no one say "uh, i never liked em" cuz i dont believe you!

my story...... i got into nirvana via sy after a mate saw em in dublin 89 and gave me a copy of bleach. i still play negative creep in my dj sets! i know im lame........

What he said
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 05:05 AM   #29
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
Another example would be

The Zombies- Time of the Season
Echo & The Bunnymen- The Killing Moon
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 05:13 AM   #30
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Who hasn't "tried".
Old 06.12.2006, 11:03 AM   #31
funhouse
little trouble girl

funhouse ain't too shabbyfunhouse ain't too shabby
i actually enjoy nirvana alot they "broke punk". they were a good punk band that related to teenagers they weren't really that original or anything like that, they were just a band that kids could relate to.
funhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 11:06 AM   #32
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
i actually enjoy nirvana alot they "broke punk". they were a good punk band that related to teenagers they weren't really that original or anything like that, they were just a band that kids could relate to.

exactly!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth