Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Iggy Pop-"The Idiot"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.19.2007, 09:59 PM   #1
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
My dad gave me a bunch of vinyl for christmas including new stuff as well as a bunch of "oldies". Included in this was Iggy Pop's "the Idiot". Before he forced me to listen to it, my dad told me that he used to piss of his most indie homies with this record and i would like it. We listened to it; it's fucking insane! Everything goes perfectly together in a totally fucked up way. The whole thing sounds really dark, the production is extremely murky and bass heavy. This is made even more enjoyable by the odd synth noises and 80's drum sound, the whole thing is so cool and out there. Really , this record sounds like nothing else..it's such a DIRGE, its so slow and muggy sounding. The best thing on here is undoubtably the last track, Mass Production. It starts out with a echoed synth growl somewhere in the desert, or sea.. whatever. The sound gets louder and finaly hunt sales comes in with one of his messy, inventive fills and kicks into the most awesome "dirge" ever. the bass is heavy and unrelenting, Iggy howls in a haunting monotone. The best part is like halfway though when these weird out-of-tune "yow" noises take over. It's awesome.
Just wanted to know if anyone else had any love for this record/ song?
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 10:47 PM   #2
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I've been hooked on Lust For Life, but the Idiot is awesome too.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 11:14 PM   #3
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
It's not just punk

That's exactly the point. I do think it's records like this one that made punk rock worthwhile. I mean the majority of so-called punk music is just boring and unchallenging, and I don't mean it as a criticism of their musicianship, but rather an overall lack of creativity. A lot of those groups were good for maybe one or two songs, and a lot of the time not even that. The hostile mentality toward chart music is also off-putting. Iggy sounds great singing over beats that wouldn't feel out of place on a disco record.

Anyway what I'm probably trying to say here is that I really like the Birthday Party a great deal, because that's usually what I do in the Non-Sonic Sounds section. But this is a thread about "The Idiot", which is good too.

Also, Stroszek is a great movie. It is my favorite movie. I guess it's considered a bit depressing, but when I watch it now I just think that it's very good.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 11:29 PM   #4
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
What are your thoughts about it being related to David Bowie's Berlin trilogy? Is there any love for mr. Bowie here in this board?

I doubt I have any thoughts concerning its relation to the Berlin trilogy. There is much love for Bowie from me, though I still prefer Scary Monsters over any of the Berlin albums. That's not to put them down though, as I enjoy them all.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 04.19.2007, 11:46 PM   #5
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
What are your thoughts about it being related to David Bowie's Berlin trilogy? Is there any love for mr. Bowie here in this board?

Bowie is my all time fave.

I love Low, and Lodger is awesome. Heroes doesn't really do it as much for me. Probably the least excessible of the trilogy.

For me with Bowie it goes something like. . .

1. Diamond Dogs
2. Low
3. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
4. Station to Station
5. Lodger
6. everything else
Old 04.19.2007, 11:54 PM   #6
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Bowie is my all time fave.

I love Low, and Lodger is awesome. Heroes doesn't really do it as much for me. Probably the least excessible of the trilogy.

For me with Bowie it goes something like. . .

1. Diamond Dogs
2. Low
3. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
4. Station to Station
5. Lodger
6. everything else

No one should like Diamond Dogs that much. It has some good tunes like We Are The Dead, but it also has crap like everything else. I'm exagerrating here but I hope you get my point.

More love for Scary Monsters (not a fan I take it?) and Station to Station. And Hunky Dory, which has Quicksand, which might be my favorite song of his.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 04.20.2007, 12:02 AM   #7
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

I haven't listened to Scary Monsters in a long time. . . lost my copy. The title track is good, but I've always considered Ashes to Ashes to be a pretty cheesy song.

There isn't a single bad song on Diamond Dogs.

Future Legend- Awesome
Diamond Dogs- Awesome
Sweet Thing-Fucking Awesome
Candidate- Really Fucking Awesome
Sweet Thing reprise- fucking awesome
Rebel, Rebel- fucking awesome
When You Rock 'N Roll With Me- cute
We Are the Dead- Drop dead fucking awesome
1984- cool funky dancy tune
Big Brother- great/awesome song- I love the mellotron choral voices
Chant of the Ever-Circling Skeletal Family- the weakest track on the album, but a fitting outro for Big Brother

It isn't as revolutionary an album as Low per se. . . but it is my favorite. I used to listen to it when I was 5 or 6 because I liked how he howls in Diamond Dogs.
Old 04.20.2007, 12:06 AM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, the reason I let that cat get out of the bag is because I know some supposed punk purists (maybe that mean retards) that put "The Idiot" down because David Bowie's input it's pretty obvious in this record, adding electronic stuff and layers of instrumentation to Iggy Pop's punk sound. And I think it certainly is artistically related to the David Bowie's Berlin Trilogy. I mean after collaborating with Iggy, Bowie then explored the possibilities of electronic pre-industrial music and "The Idiot" pretty well could have been the start of all of it.

I'm gonna rep you for equating punk purists to retards.
Old 04.20.2007, 12:20 AM   #9
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
by no means was "the idiot" the beggining of industrial music. at all at all at all....im sure bowie had an influence on alot of yr original industrial acts....but i dont think the idiot had anything to do with it.
I think that is sort of a hard argument to make, that "the idiot" didn't have any influence. By no means was it the first album that brought those kind of vibes to the table though.

Quote:
i dont think "punk purists" are retards, i just think alot of those kids are working with a different mentality than most. punk rock has certainly had a drastic effect on some people, and i cant blame em for taking it too seriously...and on that note....iggy never really claimed to be "punk". hes often put down for "selling out" or whatever, but he never really claimed to be anything that he sold out against....if that makes any sense?

By different mentality do you mean a retard mentality? The mentality that all music has to sound the same? The mentality that drives these kids to go see "punk bands" that sound like really shitty versions of Suicidal Tendencies and Black Flag even though it is 2007 not 1987? I mean, I fucking love punk. . . but I am not gonna listen to a bunch of new bands that are just living in the fucking past. I'd rather listen to the bands from the past and live there myself.

Iggy was never financially stable until Bowie's "Let's Dance" came out, because China Girl became a huge hit. He definitely never sold out. . . he got signed to a RCA because Bowie got them to, he didn't change his sound to get on RCA (and once he got on RCA, supposedly he spent his advance all on drugs.)

Quote:
but, as for me, i dont care to talk to any punk rock kids that have never heard the stooges, unless its me telling em they need to hear funhouse or some shit..heh

I don't really judge people by their music taste, but once I'm friends with them I'll start insulting it.
Old 04.20.2007, 12:23 AM   #10
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I haven't listened to Scary Monsters in a long time. . . lost my copy. The title track is good, but I've always considered Ashes to Ashes to be a pretty cheesy song.

There was a time when I didn't like Ashes to Ashes. How wrong I was. Then again, maybe I just like it when he sings "Time and again I tell myself / I'll stay clean tonight" because that part is quite good.

But the rest of the album is even better really. I get stuck on It's No Game (Pt. 1 is much better than Pt. 2), Up the Hill Backwards, Kingdom Come, and Because You're Young.

Up the Hill Backwards reminds me of a song from this Bible cartoon video I used to watch when I was very young called The Amazing Book.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 04.20.2007, 12:28 AM   #11
luxinterior
invito al cielo

I don't like Rebel Rebel. It has never struck me as being a good song. It has some good lines but I never have the urge to listen to it. It's okay when he starts to sing You've got your transmission and etc, but the rest of the song doesn't do anything for me.

EDIT: It did make for a funny joke on Reno 911 however.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 04.20.2007, 12:55 AM   #12
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i think this should settle the whole "punk purist" discussion.

long live the minutemen

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2007, 05:34 AM   #13
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I like The idiot more than Lust for life.

Regarding the "electronic stuff", David and Iggy were hugely into Kraftwerk (and Can and Neu!) at the time. What's more I read that Kraftwerk met Iggy and told him they were big fans of the Stooges.

luxinterior you have great taste !
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2007, 10:10 AM   #14
loopheadtapenoise
empty page

loopheadtapenoise is a jewel in the roughloopheadtapenoise is a jewel in the roughloopheadtapenoise is a jewel in the roughloopheadtapenoise is a jewel in the rough
not listened to the idiot since my record player's stylus died - but remember it as bloody good - as is lust for life - possibly better than lust for life on mature (?) reflection
but without Bowie/Eno combo working with Iggy would he not have become the cartoon Stooge that he has become now, only earlier
but it's a dollar, i guess - shame that it is so... so... so Green Day *

*cockney rhyming slang for gay
loopheadtapenoise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2007, 02:34 AM   #15
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
I don't like Rebel Rebel. It has never struck me as being a good song. It has some good lines but I never have the urge to listen to it. It's okay when he starts to sing You've got your transmission and etc, but the rest of the song doesn't do anything for me.

EDIT: It did make for a funny joke on Reno 911 however.

Maybe Rebel Rebel is a guy thing. I think it is a really sexy song.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth