Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Recommend me 1 record to buy now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.18.2006, 03:08 PM   #21
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
If you want to dig into the 70s/80s scene a bit, how about some Mars, or the No New York album? Got any Patti Smith, Television?

Oh, I did get the NNCK Qvaris album, which is fairly recent (2005?). It is a bit more on the experimental side, but it's really fine.
Old 10.18.2006, 03:13 PM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
got nny on a vinyl reissue last year, and i even got an old cassette of the bush tetras; ive been in love w/ patti smith for over a decade now, and i like television.

i think i have sufficient schooling in rocknroll history to get me a passing grade, what i'm lacking is the current newspapers... i live way way out in the sticks and my internet connection has been nearly non-existent outside of working hours...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2006, 03:15 PM   #23
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I find it hard to keep up with current stuff beyond the obvious (YLT, SY, and the like). And I'm not that much interested in doing so, either, unless I stumble upon a band I really like and start to follow them.
Old 10.18.2006, 03:16 PM   #24
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Klaxons - Atlantis to Interzone.
I heard it in a club the other day and it was ace on toast.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2006, 05:09 PM   #25
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Since you specifically requested "something with melody" & considering that you've been diggin' the soulful stylins of Miss Marshall's latest, I suggest...

Notes (from cd universe)
Originally released on Hi (32074) Personnel: Al Green (vocals); Tennie Hodges (guitar); Andrew Love, Ed Logan (tenor saxophone); James Mitchell (baritone saxophone); Wayne Jackson (trumpet); Jack Hale (trombone); Charles Hodges (piano, organ); Leroy Hodges (bass instrument); Howard Grimes (drums); Rhodes, Chalmers & Rhodes (background vocals). Liner Note Author: Colin Escott. Recording information: Royal Recording Studios, Memphis, Tennessee. There are few perfect records in the world, but Al Green's I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU may be one of them. Backed by producer Willie Mitchell's phenomenal stable of musicians, including drummer Al Jackson and the three Hodges brothers, Green reached deep into his soul to pull out one of the finest recordings of his (and, arguably, anyone else's) career. The opening title track is classic Green, with staccato punctuation from the Memphis Horns and Jackson's relaxed, syncopated drum pattern setting the stage for the singer's luxurious, silk-voiced expressions of devotion. The drums and slinky organ riff that kick off "So Glad You're Mine" are irresistible, while the inventive chord progression and infectious call and response section help make "Love And Happiness" one of the singer's finest moments. Continuing his tradition of turning unlikely outside material into gorgeous R&B, Green works his soulful magic on Kris Kristofferson's ballad "For The Good Times" and Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman." The high point comes with "Simply Beautiful," an aptly titled tune that finds Green weaving his ethereal falsetto in and around a hypnotic groove with a grace that justifies his reputation as the king of R&B crooners. In truth, I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU is almost too good to believe. Not incidentally, it set the standard for the next 20-plus years of R&B music.

Rolling Stone (3/6/03, p.72) - 5 stars out of 5 - "...All you need is right here..."
Customer Reviews

Average Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars

(3 reviews submitted)

Timeless classic love ballads for any occassion
There can't be another one of its kind anywhere. This is my 3rd time ordering this album and everytime it is mnore than worth it! The best of his albums by far!
Submitted by
lamont200326 in Columbus OH
Good Soul
Number 626 in my All Time Top 1000 Pop Albums
Submitted by wolfmanstag in Mannheim, Germany, EU
Da Panty Dropper
Al G is the man this is a classic cd every real man should have
Submitted by Reese in North Veg
Simply Outstanding
I grew up listening to Al Green. Through all my days of confusion in my teens, I could always listen to this album and know there was a God above. How else could you explain this man's vocal style? Awesome!

---

Call Me & Explores Your Mind are also especially great and he has other good ones as well.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2006, 05:15 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Klaxons - Atlantis to Interzone.
I heard it in a club the other day and it was ace on toast.

Shit on my tits. That is a good 'un. My artist mate who you met at the Foundry has that 'un.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 02:34 AM   #27
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
how about animal collective? it's melodic but you don't get easily bored. "sung tongs" is my favourite.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 02:37 AM   #28
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
nuggets vol 1.
Old 10.19.2006, 05:02 AM   #29
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
The new Six Organs of Admittance.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 05:31 AM   #30
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Comets on Fire - Avatar
Old 10.19.2006, 05:45 AM   #31
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
How about a nice bit o' Bardo Pond.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 06:42 AM   #32
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
________666666666666666________
______66666_________66666______
____666 66____________66 6666___
___666__666_________666___666__
_666____ 66 6_______6 66____666_
666______66__66666__66______666
66________6__ 6666 __6________66
66________666_____666________66
66 _____6 666_______666 6_____ 66
66__666___ 66_____ 66___ 666 __66
66_6666666666666666666666666_66
666_________66___66_________666
_666_________6___6_________666_
__666_________666_________666__
____666_______ 66_______666____
______6666_____6_____6666______
________666666666666666____

Genghis Tron - Dead Mountain Mouth

Myspace

Official site
Old 10.19.2006, 07:04 AM   #33
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
like Inhuman already said: Gang Gang Dance ---- they are amazing.
you can´t go wrong with Bardo Pond (although i haven´t heard ticket crystal yet)
Check out the first Comus lp if you haven´t already
Bruce Haack - some very cool electronic stuff
---
%
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 07:13 AM   #34
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
got nny on a vinyl reissue last year, and i even got an old cassette of the bush tetras; ive been in love w/ patti smith for over a decade now, and i like television.

i think i have sufficient schooling in rocknroll history to get me a passing grade, what i'm lacking is the current newspapers... i live way way out in the sticks and my internet connection has been nearly non-existent outside of working hours...

uugghhh I was such an idiot this summer. I was at a sonic youth concert and bush tetras played at a different stage, and Sonic Youth were there the whole day, and unfortunately I didn't know the Bush Tetras at the time, so I missed out in meeting the youth. Can you reccommend me a tetras album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
like Inhuman already said: Gang Gang Dance ---- they are amazing.
you can´t go wrong with Bardo Pond (although i haven´t heard ticket crystal yet)
Check out the first Comus lp if you haven´t already
Bruce Haack - some very cool electronic stuff
---
%

Hmm, I've never even heard of Ticket Crystal! But Gang Gang dance are so worth the listen
Old 10.19.2006, 09:23 AM   #35
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Ticket Crystals is the new album by Bardo Pond

ummmm

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 01:10 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
inhuman- from bush tetras i got "better late than never" which is a 1989 cassette that gathers their1980-83 recordings. i got it for $1 in a leftover bin in a record store (they were getting rid of their cassette selection). oh yes, that was sweet.

since they recently reformed, some other stuff might be in the works.

porkie- i went to the amazon site & listen to some magnetic fields samples, i don't remember what else it was but the singer's voice vaguely reminded me of syd barrett.

bardo pond might be nice but i was looking for something a little less "weird"-- not that i mind weird, but i'm looking for something more rocking or even conventional this time around. i'm still working my way through these albert ayler records. same reason why i'll pass over nnck this time around.

so far i'm thinking yo la tengo is candidate #1 and then tv on the radio or erase errata... hm...

atari, when i first read your post i thought "is he joking?" but hm no, maybe no, and maybe i could find something like that in the bargain bin, i figure, so i'll check it out, but i hope you're not pulling my leg.

about animal collective - last year (or was it this year? so much has happened since) i went to their show & got ALL their records, so many the guy gave us a free bag. i think i got all their records yes, and listen to them on a regular basis. sung tongs i also my favorite but that strange ep with vashti bunyan is also very pleasing.

thanks to everyone for your time & contributions! i won't pester you any more for a bit...
Old 10.19.2006, 01:55 PM   #37
gmku
invito al cielo

Old 10.20.2006, 03:46 PM   #38
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

just as an update & to show i read all the stuff you wrote & thank you i'll say i'm ordering the ylt lp (that first track alone is worth the price of the record) & erase errata's nightlife.

thank you all.
Old 10.20.2006, 03:50 PM   #39
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
The Evens LP
http://www.dischord.com/store?action...&relNumber=150
Good music, good price and vinyl!
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2006, 04:00 PM   #40
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
... and I think sound-wise it is exactly what you are looking for.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth