Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.27.2016, 07:16 PM   #48241
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
swear to god there was a discussion on ett at least when it came out, was a beautiful record, knows how to arrange sounds so so well.

raglani - husk

above ground pool - bolger cupcake dynasty

ryuichi sakamoto - esperanto

babyfather - platinum tears

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2016, 10:36 AM   #48242
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest

babyfather - platinum tears

This is really great. How'd you feel about the BBF record with DJ Escrow that came out earlier this year?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2016, 02:40 PM   #48243
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Old 10.29.2016, 10:14 AM   #48244
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses

Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2016, 07:11 AM   #48245
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
^banger. that section where fell's drums just collapse in at the tail end of the first piece, or when ambarchi properly rips it at the peak of the last one.....so many special moments on this.

Old 10.30.2016, 08:38 PM   #48246
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
This is really great. How'd you feel about the BBF record with DJ Escrow that came out earlier this year?
ummm well I'd seen them at like their first or second show just prior to the full-length coming out so this tape was the only thing to go by, and seeing them live really hoped contextualise it all a bit better: much beefier sound, an odd little amalgam of disparate uk soundsystem cultures. and I think bbf helped realise that idea a lot more strongly than platinum tears, I'm massively into it. don't really think anything blunt's doing can top hype williams, and it's interesting to see that copeland was actually the one pushing them into more outré/knotty territories, but it doesn't change the fact that the record fucking bangs. much better than those dry sketches he chucked out under the hw name a couple months back...

Old 10.31.2016, 03:47 AM   #48247
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening to my new tracks that I put together when I was sick a couple of weeks ago.
Finally some new tracks. They're good.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2016, 06:54 AM   #48248
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
^banger. that section where fell's drums just collapse in at the tail end of the first piece, or when ambarchi properly rips it at the peak of the last one.....so many special moments on this.
I am still quite perplexed by the Part 2, but it works.

David Grubbs - Prismrose
Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2016, 08:23 AM   #48249
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses

On repeat over and over again..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2016, 10:38 AM   #48250
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

On repeat over and over again..

Oh, of course! I've listened to this several times over the past week too, after reading about Dylan's Nobel win (which I'm honestly NOT sure he deserved ... the man has done so much for music and for the world that there isn't an award in existence that could hope to do justice to his legacy, but I'm not convinced that his legacy is a literary one) but for me, this is pretty much THE Dylan album, and when Dylan is in the air, this is the record I turn to.
Old 11.01.2016, 10:39 AM   #48251
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh and this is what I'm listening to at the moment:

Old 11.02.2016, 07:58 AM   #48252
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Highway 61 Revisited is in many ways the Illmatic of rock. Illmatic is the Highway 61 Revisited of hip hop, to be more exact. Has this comparsion been made before?

I actually agree with your sentiments about Dylan's Nobel win.

How's the Leonard Cohen album?

I finally listened to Skeleton Tree. Man, it's been a glorious year for old rock legends. Also, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds is quite possibly the best band in the world right now.
Old 11.02.2016, 09:58 AM   #48253
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Highway 61 Revisited is in many ways the Illmatic of rock. Illmatic is the Highway 61 Revisited of hip hop, to be more exact. Has this comparsion been made before?

I actually agree with your sentiments about Dylan's Nobel win.

How's the Leonard Cohen album?

I finally listened to Skeleton Tree. Man, it's been a glorious year for old rock legends. Also, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds is quite possibly the best band in the world right now.

You Want it Darker is very good. Go stream it or something! I remember you saying it sounded like it might like be Cohen's version of Blackstar, and in a way I think you may have nailed it. Stylistically there's virtually no similarity to speak of, of course, but thematically it's definitely got a kind of knowing, will and testament feel to it (then again, death is not a new topic for Cohen AT ALL.)
The tone is quite a bit less optimistic than Blackstar — which I know doesn't sound poppy, but it still gives one the feeling that Bowie was going rather jubilantly fearlessly into that good night — but darkness is also nothing new for Cohen.

It's a beautiful record, meticulously produced but also ragged and organic. My favorite kind of "old guy" record, like Tom Waits' Real Gone and Alice/Blood Money. Some really ghastly moans and groans and chamber sounds. Good Halloween listening.

"They're lining up the prisoners and the guards are takin' aim
I've struggled with some demons they were middle class and tame
I didn't know I had permission to murder and to mame
You want it darker"
Old 11.02.2016, 10:02 AM   #48254
Severian
invito al cielo

And yeah, I really like Skeleton Tree as well. Think I prefer it to Push the Sky Away. Nick Cave is pretty much always on point. I really like the lyrical dynamic of Skeletrom Tree... the classic Cave character narratives are gone for the moment, replaced by something both more personal and more elemental. It's a damn powerful album.

I'm very grateful for Nick Cave musically too. He's one of the few punk personalities who has successfully evolved into just an out-and-out great rock/folk artist with the help of Mick Harvey and Warren Ellis. He has aged in style and grown to represent something much bigger and broader than "just" punk, without losing his edge so to speak. You look at the musicians who managed to do something similar to that, and you have a very short list: SY (and Thurston, Kim, Lee solo), Lou Reed, John Lydon, Joy Division > New Order (and others of course, but not a ton of them). Aging gracefully over the years to create a legacy that breaks genre restrictions. Maybe Iggy Pop too, though he's certainly had his missteps.

You'd think "modern" aging punk types would look at these musicians and strive for the same kind of reinvention. But... nah. Green Day just wants to be "the Green Day of yesteryear" forever. Blink 182 just wants to find new ways to get away with wearing baggy shorts and Hurley shirts into their '40s. Pretty much a staunch refusal to grow or evolve in any way.

'Course these butt shits didn't grow up listening to Sonic Youth or the Birthday Party/Bad Seeds. I'd wager they don't even consider Joy Division "punk" or punk adjacent, if they have any feelings on JD whatsoever. And I've heard nothing in their music to suggest that they've ever payed much attention to anything Lydon did post-Pistols, or anything Iggy did post-Stooges.

Nick Cave has successfully grown into a kind of classic baladeer and troubadour. More than just about any of his peers. And The Bad Seeds are just a great band, so it's not just the Nick Cave show. I really appreciated the minimalism of Push the Sky Away, and the synths and atmospherics, and I'm stoked to hear that sound explored more on Skeleton Tree. Thinking about "Anthrocene," "Jesus Alone" ... it's a great direction, and makes for some really captivating moments.
Old 11.02.2016, 03:14 PM   #48255
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
right now i'm listening to oval's fourth parabolic mix. if you like overcommers, this is a similar sounding lesser known gem. i can't recommend it highly enough.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2016, 04:19 PM   #48256
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Desolation Row is crazy! I love Highway 61. I got the mono vinyl box.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2016, 04:56 PM   #48257
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
And yeah, I really like Skeleton Tree as well. Think I prefer it to Push the Sky Away. Nick Cave is pretty much always on point. I really like the lyrical dynamic of Skeletrom Tree... the classic Cave character narratives are gone for the moment, replaced by something both more personal and more elemental. It's a damn powerful album.

I'm very grateful for Nick Cave musically too. He's one of the few punk personalities who has successfully evolved into just an out-and-out great rock/folk artist with the help of Mick Harvey and Warren Ellis. He has aged in style and grown to represent something much bigger and broader than "just" punk, without losing his edge so to speak. You look at the musicians who managed to do something similar to that, and you have a very short list: SY (and Thurston, Kim, Lee solo), Lou Reed, John Lydon, Joy Division > New Order (and others of course, but not a ton of them). Aging gracefully over the years to create a legacy that breaks genre restrictions. Maybe Iggy Pop too, though he's certainly had his missteps.

You'd think "modern" aging punk types would look at these musicians and strive for the same kind of reinvention. But... nah. Green Day just wants to be "the Green Day of yesteryear" forever. Blink 182 just wants to find new ways to get away with wearing baggy shorts and Hurley shirts into their '40s. Pretty much a staunch refusal to grow or evolve in any way.

'Course these butt shits didn't grow up listening to Sonic Youth or the Birthday Party/Bad Seeds. I'd wager they don't even consider Joy Division "punk" or punk adjacent, if they have any feelings on JD whatsoever. And I've heard nothing in their music to suggest that they've ever payed much attention to anything Lydon did post-Pistols, or anything Iggy did post-Stooges.

Nick Cave has successfully grown into a kind of classic baladeer and troubadour. More than just about any of his peers. And The Bad Seeds are just a great band, so it's not just the Nick Cave show. I really appreciated the minimalism of Push the Sky Away, and the synths and atmospherics, and I'm stoked to hear that sound explored more on Skeleton Tree. Thinking about "Anthrocene," "Jesus Alone" ... it's a great direction, and makes for some really captivating moments.

I now see yr secret weapon is spouting yr nerdiness all over everyone. good job man! thumbs up to yr thumbs.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2016, 01:32 AM   #48258
louder
invito al cielo

His "nerdiness"? What do you mean? I always enjoy reading Sev's posts.
Old 11.03.2016, 10:58 AM   #48259
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
His "nerdiness"? What do you mean? I always enjoy reading Sev's posts.

He's not wrong. I am a fucking nerd and a half in a number of different ways.

It's not a secret though, and it's certainly not a weapon.
Old 11.03.2016, 11:55 AM   #48260
louder
invito al cielo

Luckily I stopped caring about whether I'm seen as a "nerd" or checking whether other people are when I finished high school.. heh.
1913231323632403241024112412 2413 241424152416242324632513 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth