Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What does the 'grub' t-shirt say?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.27.2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Ileana
empty page

Ileana has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The Raymond Pettibon pic on the 'grub' t-shirt, what is the caption? Could anyone tell me please? Cheers. Ileana
Ileana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I think it says "We don't like the grub in here!"
Old 08.27.2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Ileana
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I think it says "We don't like the grub in here!"

Thank you! May I ask how you know? Is it just that you have incredible eye sight and can read the image at the store?
I think I'm missing something... Is the caption supposed to be witty or deep? Explain!
Old 08.27.2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I think I just have good enough vision, I took my glasses off and tried and couldn't read it at all though.

A lot of Raymond Pettibon's captions are just kind of weird, I don't really know what to think of them. I do like them, I think they are very good looking and the captions just bring a cool aesthetic to them.
Old 08.27.2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Ileana
empty page

But I'm wearing my contacts and I can't read it Hmmf.

I rather like the t-shirt you see and wanted to check that the meaning of the caption was not wildly at odds with my world wiew or something, before buying it. Well, muchisimas gracias, I believe I shall make this purchase.
Old 08.27.2006, 04:53 PM   #6
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
i own the shirt and yea thats what it says

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2006, 03:02 AM   #7
Ileana
empty page

Thankoo
If you've any idea what it means...
Old 08.28.2006, 08:04 AM   #8
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
grub is slang for food, right? some sort of pun, no?
Old 08.28.2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I don't really think it is supposed to mean anything specific. I think a lot of Pettibon's stuff is that way, open to interpretation, allowing us to make up our own meanings/stories.
Old 09.11.2006, 09:37 PM   #10
ricerocket
empty page

ricerocket has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
the complete picture is of a woman in prison and she is protesting about the food. the original pic was in raymond's book "jane's book of fighting" from 1985.
ricerocket is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth