Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Trees outside the academy leak
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2007, 10:55 AM   #121
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
I had Rather Ripped long before it's street date and that didn't spoil my appreciation at all. If anything it was fun to go buy the "new" SY album that I already knew front to back.

Same with Mr. Moore's new album -- how can you not listen to it? I say it's a welcome departure from what the band does, and a deliberate one at that. My only qualm is that maybe he didn't go far enough down that detour, and a couple of songs sound like they could've been off of Psychic Hearts.

But whoever said this isn't a summer record, it sounded pretty lovely from my porch in Burlington yesterday.
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2007, 12:29 AM   #122
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
>>>>I know what you're saying but we still ain't talking hometaping/downloading ---- we're talking leaking!!! I have no problem with downloading the album/ or copying it when it's RELEASED.

So I guess I don't get how downloading the album in advance (out of sheer unbearable anticipation) with every intention of purchasing it when it comes out is so much worse--or any worse, for that matter--than copying it for free after the release date, when you could just as easily go down to the record store, or Amazon or whatever, and spend the money to support the band. To me that seems like rather odd logic. I mean, as soon as I heard Rather Ripped leaked, I downloaded it and proceeded to listen to it incessantly. And the day it came out, I had my boyfriend go to the store and buy it for me (cause I was at work). And as soon as I got in the car when he picked me up, I giddily ripped open the plastic, fawned all over the artwork, and put it in the cd player. And for the next several *months*, I continued to listen to that album on a nightly basis, discovering new things each time, and appreciating the album even more. Bottom line: while I appreciate the notion that an artist has a "vision" that is spoiled by an album leaking, most people develop their own personal relationship with a great album, independant of its official release date, and/or artwork. Impatience/lack of self-control should not be equated with the deliberate cheating of a band out of their due profits, as was suggested by the person who said they have no problem with copying a CD after its release date. In summary: WTF???
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2007, 12:31 AM   #123
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Can I just mention that if I ever invite any of you to dinner at my place and I find you picking at the food before I'm ready to serve it at the table, I won't be at all happy and you won't be invited back.

Well, that is why you never invite bums, or starving children.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth