Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page thurston tonight at the stone
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2006, 03:48 PM   #1
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
is anyone going? i know they don't do advanced tickets so i'm wondering, if i go, how early i should get there. have never been to the stone. how big is it? i know i don't feel like getting there any earlier than an hour earlier. any advice appreciated from anyone who's ever been to the stone and knows how hard it is to get in. it was advertised in timeout with a little red star.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 03:52 PM   #2
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
well, i don;t know how close to schediule the stone runs but, based on previous thurston shows in nyc, i would advise you not to get there too early. he doesn't really draw a crowd. please report on your expereince.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 04:07 PM   #3
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
is anyone going? i know they don't do advanced tickets so i'm wondering, if i go, how early i should get there. have never been to the stone. how big is it? i know i don't feel like getting there any earlier than an hour earlier. any advice appreciated from anyone who's ever been to the stone and knows how hard it is to get in. it was advertised in timeout with a little red star.

The place is tiny, real small. As a matter of fact I think it fits like 3 people: Me, My girlfriend, and one of My Friends who are going. If you show up and try to take one of our spots we will kill you and breakfeast with Thurston on the milky rich marrow from you're bones. Thurston has an excellent bib designed specifically for such purposes. He's a messy eater.

But seriously, its a very small venue, I'm showing up early.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 04:39 PM   #4
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Hook us up with a review if you guys go
Old 05.10.2006, 04:43 PM   #5
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I'm missing this by one freakin day... I'll be in NYC from Thursday thru Sunday...

I would've tried to go to nyc today if my band wasn't playing a show tonite, opening for Parts & Labor... though that should be fun too.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 09:04 PM   #6
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
so thewall91, how was it?
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 12:50 AM   #7
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty fucking sweet... I saw the first set and it was Thurston Moore and Jim O'rourke. Thurston played guitar and Jim played PREPARED MOTHERFUCKIN' PIANO!!!

It was hot shit, with lots of sensititivity and thurston rocking the tiny sounding intricate shit, and the well-aimed feedback, and Jim responding in kind with extremely well thought accents and an occasional repetitive melody.

I'm tired right now, so I can't give a real specific rundown. They played three "songs" and it was a nice solid like 45 minutes. Very fucking good. One of the more responsive and intimate sets I've seen thurston play.
Old 05.11.2006, 04:04 AM   #8
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Pretty fucking sweet... I saw the first set and it was Thurston Moore and Jim O'rourke. Thurston played guitar and Jim played PREPARED MOTHERFUCKIN' PIANO!!!

It was hot shit, with lots of sensititivity and thurston rocking the tiny sounding intricate shit, and the well-aimed feedback, and Jim responding in kind with extremely well thought accents and an occasional repetitive melody.

I'm tired right now, so I can't give a real specific rundown. They played three "songs" and it was a nice solid like 45 minutes. Very fucking good. One of the more responsive and intimate sets I've seen thurston play.
damn, that sounds fuggin awesome!
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 06:47 AM   #9
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
sounds great... good to know jim hasn't sworn off music completely like some earlier rumours stated.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 06:53 AM   #10
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
fuck. that's awesome. i had planned to go to the later show but i got stuck in class. anyone know who the special guests were for that one?
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 09:01 AM   #11
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
i went to the early show. got there about an hour early so was like fourth in line. ended up with a great seat about two feet in front of jim. for a guy who's like three feet tall, he has the most beautiful eyes. loved the intimacy of the whole thing. i'm not a huge noise fan and would never buy a recording of the show to listen to, but i really enjoyed the performance art aspect of it. i don't think it would have been the same had i been really far away looking at it on a stage.

thurston came out and didn't say a word. nobody clapped when he came out. it was complete silence. then at the end all he did was introduce jim and then walked out. kind of strange since he's usually so charismatic, but interesting nonetheless. nice experience for $10.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 09:36 AM   #12
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
There should have been clapping as soon as Thurston or Jim stepped out. Show a little respect for these great noiseniks...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 09:51 AM   #13
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
i filmed it. it ruled.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 01:11 PM   #14
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
i filmed it. it ruled.

is it going to sit on your hard drive like most of the other stuff you filmed?
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 05:16 PM   #15
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
i went to the early show. got there about an hour early so was like fourth in line. ended up with a great seat about two feet in front of jim. for a guy who's like three feet tall, he has the most beautiful eyes. loved the intimacy of the whole thing. i'm not a huge noise fan and would never buy a recording of the show to listen to, but i really enjoyed the performance art aspect of it. i don't think it would have been the same had i been really far away looking at it on a stage.

thurston came out and didn't say a word. nobody clapped when he came out. it was complete silence. then at the end all he did was introduce jim and then walked out. kind of strange since he's usually so charismatic, but interesting nonetheless. nice experience for $10.

i've noticed at solo/noise shows thurston has a complete different personality to his SY persona... it's like he's trying to be more avant-garde and mature maybe... like his noise shows are more serious and /. or spiritual... like personal rituals... whereas sonic Youth is high school goof (off)
and noise fans try to act all aloof hence the lack of appluase maybe...
Old 05.11.2006, 05:28 PM   #16
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
i've noticed at solo/noise shows thurston has a complete different personality to his SY persona... it's like he's trying to be more avant-garde and mature maybe... like his noise shows are more serious and /. or spiritual... like personal rituals... whereas sonic Youth is high school goof (off)
and noise fans try to act all aloof hence the lack of appluase maybe...

I think it's shyness. In a smaller venue, it's much more up close and personal, whereas on a stage in a bigger venue, you're not really "interfacing" with the crowd.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2006, 05:30 PM   #17
whorefrost
invito al cielo

that's a good point
Old 05.11.2006, 05:38 PM   #18
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm still kind of surprised that no one clapped.
Old 05.12.2006, 01:32 AM   #19
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I'm still kind of surprised that no one clapped.

Well, I think that was because it was so intimate... I mean I doubt there were more than 50 seats there, maybe less, and they were all filled. Thurston came out and grabbed his guitar and started playing pretty quickly. When he first came out, I made a single clap, expecting people to join in but no one did and I felt weird. I think it was the intimate and kind of informal nature of the show that made people not clap when he first came out. I mean there wasn't a stage or anything, Thurston was on ground level about 5 feet away from me, like 2 feet away from the people in the front row of chairs. People clapped when they finished each song and at the end of the set. Thurston thanked the crowd and introduced Jim O'rourke and people clapped for him, but when they first came out it didn't have that super-show like atmosphere when like the artist finally takes the stage and you greet them... Thurston just walked out put on his guitar and played a couple harmonics kinda like he was chilling in your living room and then went off from there. What really weirded me out was that a couple people in the audience were giggling at the beginning like something was funny. Maybe they thought he was gonna play sonic youth songs or something.
Old 05.12.2006, 01:39 AM   #20
krastian
invito al cielo

Yeah I know what you mean, but I know I would have clapped as soon Thurston or Jim came on "stage" like you did. I mean we're not in church people!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth