Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.15.2016, 11:15 AM   #20201
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoyed Titanic when it came out. a big weepy fairy tale for the ladies to cry over. It was not bad as a movie. I thought DiCrapio was the worst part in it, worse than Billy Zane!

I was in love with Kate Winslet so that may color my perceptions....
Old 12.15.2016, 11:16 AM   #20202
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I never watched good will hunting because I had grown tired of Robin Williams' schtick after Dead Poets Society. I will watch it someday.
Old 12.15.2016, 11:32 AM   #20203
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I never watched good will hunting because I had grown tired of Robin Williams' schtick after Dead Poets Society. I will watch it someday.

I'm with NR. It's a great movie. Robin's best performance. And honestly I never was mychnof a fan of his, but it's not a "Dead Poets Society" kind of role. For a movie with such a stupid name, it's obscenely good.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2016, 11:36 AM   #20204
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

will check it out this weekend. I am going to see Rogue One tonight, gonna need something more intellectual to cleanse the palate!
Old 12.15.2016, 11:43 AM   #20205
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
for me it was so-so. i didn't love it. genius wish fulfillment fantasy seemed a bit... maybe i missed something. everyone wanted to be a genius in the 90s.

the problem with robin williams is that his sad eyes and manic humor weren't a schtick

if you'd see past the laughs , you'd catch his sadness, and then it became painful to watch-- hence the fatigue.

apparently he was great as a villain. i never saw 1 hour photo because i was also burned out on him. maybe i should put in in the queue for future disturbances.

okay honest-honest i didn't like good will hunting. found it to manipulative and sentimental. sorry. won't see it again.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2016, 11:58 AM   #20206
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

let me start by saying this is not a brag.

I am considered by the appointed testing authorities as a "smart" person. The tests all say this, and my people know I am a bit of a polymath whose intellectual interests are far ranging and that I am full of data. Because of this, I have friends and family and co-workers recommend me these movies, like Good Will Hunting, The Imitation Game, and A Beautiful Mind, always saying "You would love it! It is about this really smart person!" and invariably, I watch the film and find it wanting, mostly because the films are portraying supposedly very smart people in a manner that will allow the "regular" person to be awed or impressed by the protagonists amazing mind.

In other words, they are portrayed with a shorthand that lets non-smart people know that so-and-so is VERY SMART. I find this shit so tiresome and uninteresting and it ruins the shit for me.

Contact was a movie where nearly every single character is a VERY SMART person and they are portrayed like real humans, without the visual storytelling shorthand that telegraphs their "intelligence".

Re: One Hour Photo - I saw an hour of it, couldn't give a flying fuck about what I was seeing, and turned it off. I hated it but Robin was creepy and good in it.
Old 12.15.2016, 12:09 PM   #20207
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
CONTACT you say? the jodie foster yeah? i'll take a look, thanks.

(and yeah good will hunting traumatized genius solves math in his head while mopping floors, he'll show them snobs, oh if only he could only get 4 therapy sessions...)
Old 12.15.2016, 12:59 PM   #20208
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
possibly part of my love for GWH came from living in Massachusetts. I don't know. I love it though.
Old 12.15.2016, 01:05 PM   #20209
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
possibly part of my love for GWH came from living in Massachusetts. I don't know. I love it though.
i liked THE FIGHTER which is also a mass. thing
Old 12.15.2016, 01:05 PM   #20210
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
The Fighter was great.

<3 Amy Adams
Old 12.15.2016, 01:25 PM   #20211
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, it was pretty good, but I saw too many fights with Micky Ward to appreciate the concept behind it.

Amy is looking pretty good in NA's

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2016, 01:30 PM   #20212
noisereductions
invito al cielo

she is great.
Old 12.15.2016, 01:50 PM   #20213
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
let me start by saying this is not a brag.

I am considered by the appointed testing authorities as a "smart" person. The tests all say this, and my people know I am a bit of a polymath whose intellectual interests are far ranging and that I am full of data. Because of this, I have friends and family and co-workers recommend me these movies, like Good Will Hunting, The Imitation Game, and A Beautiful Mind, always saying "You would love it! It is about this really smart person!" and invariably, I watch the film and find it wanting, mostly because the films are portraying supposedly very smart people in a manner that will allow the "regular" person to be awed or impressed by the protagonists amazing mind.

In other words, they are portrayed with a shorthand that lets non-smart people know that so-and-so is VERY SMART. I find this shit so tiresome and uninteresting and it ruins the shit for me.

Contact was a movie where nearly every single character is a VERY SMART person and they are portrayed like real humans, without the visual storytelling shorthand that telegraphs their "intelligence".

Re: One Hour Photo - I saw an hour of it, couldn't give a flying fuck about what I was seeing, and turned it off. I hated it but Robin was creepy and good in it.

Yea that's all well and good but Rob. How do you like them apples?
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2016, 01:55 PM   #20214
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Yea that's all well and good but Rob. How do you like them apples?

Ha!
Old 12.15.2016, 02:34 PM   #20215
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what apples?
Old 12.15.2016, 04:02 PM   #20216
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
The Fighter was great.

<3 Amy Adams

I'd seen her in films before The Fighter but that was the one where I first really noticed her. There's something mesmerising about her. She's one of the only actors right now whose films I'd watch just because she's in it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2016, 04:05 PM   #20217
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'd seen her in films before The Fighter but that was the one where I first really noticed her. There's something mesmerising about her. She's one of the only actors right now whose films I'd watch just because she's in it.

straight up: That's what I've been doing the past few months. I told my wife that, "hey - I just wanna see everything she's in." Watched Enchanted, Muppets, and Man Of Steel most recently. She's great in everything.
Old 12.15.2016, 07:51 PM   #20218
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
for me it was so-so. i didn't love it. genius wish fulfillment fantasy seemed a bit... maybe i missed something. everyone wanted to be a genius in the 90s.

the problem with robin williams is that his sad eyes and manic humor weren't a schtick

if you'd see past the laughs , you'd catch his sadness, and then it became painful to watch-- hence the fatigue.

apparently he was great as a villain. i never saw 1 hour photo because i was also burned out on him. maybe i should put in in the queue for future disturbances.

okay honest-honest i didn't like good will hunting. found it to manipulative and sentimental. sorry. won't see it again.

Hey, spot on on Robin Williams. I agree completely. He reminds me a lot of a teacher I had in high school who also had a deep sadness tucked away behind his fags and slapstick.

But re: Williams as villain...
One Hour Photo is just ok. I remember feeling sorry for his character even though he was a creepy murderer. Sadness still reigns.

BUT... Have you ever seen Insomnia? Chris Nolan's Insomnia? The one after Memento, before all the stuff he's now famous for. Al Pacino = homicide detective chases psychopath killer to Alaska. Robin Williams is NOT a sad sack in that film. He's Fucking terrifying.
Old 12.15.2016, 07:52 PM   #20219
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
what apples?

Bahahaa!
Old 12.15.2016, 08:59 PM   #20220
Severian
invito al cielo

Love Amy Adams. There's something almost addictive about her when she's on screen. Especially in more human roles like in the Fighter, Doubt and American Hustle.

Glad you liked Man of Steel, NR.
5119119611001100810091010 1011 101210131014102110611111 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth