Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston speaks: Brother From Another Planet: Sun Ra (Part III)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2006, 06:56 PM   #1
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDLIUhANWo

Thurston speaks a little about longtime Sun Ra Arkestra member the brillant and considered the greatest well respected free-jazz saxophonist John Gilmore (who had apparently taught John Coltrane some techniques in the late 50's)...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2006, 11:25 PM   #2
Intellivision
i'm a rotten little fuck

Intellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's asses

Intellivision is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 11:49 PM   #3
wagonchrist
empty page

wagonchrist has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDLIUhANWo

Thurston speaks a little about longtime Sun Ra Arkestra member the brillant and considered the greatest well respected free-jazz saxophonist John Gilmore (who had apparently taught John Coltrane some techniques in the late 50's)...

If you live in the state of MA you may know that our governor-elect Deval Patrick is the son of Pat Patrick, onetime Sun Ra Arkestra member.... weird.
wagonchrist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 12:58 AM   #4
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonchrist
If you live in the state of MA you may know that our governor-elect Deval Patrick is the son of Pat Patrick, onetime Sun Ra Arkestra member.... weird.

That's incredible. Is he a good guy? I was just in Mass (Boston on Sunday, Amherst on Wed.) and I was wondering why they were installing Moog's at all the reststops.......
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 07:32 AM   #5
wagonchrist
empty page

wagonchrist has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
That's incredible. Is he a good guy? I was just in Mass (Boston on Sunday, Amherst on Wed.) and I was wondering why they were installing Moog's at all the reststops.......

He does indeed seem like a good guy. Democrat, first african-american governor ever, I believe.

The only "official" word I can find is here:

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_art...p1=MEWell_Pos5

It's been widely discussed elsewhere. I believe his father played with Coltrane and Monk, among others.
wagonchrist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 02:04 PM   #6
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
interesting info about Deval Patrick...

Pat Patrick is considering one of the best baritone sax players in jazz and especially of the 1st generation of freejazz musicians (even starting in the 50's...) he followed a very similar path as John Gilmore where he never really led his own groups or played outside the Arkestra such that he dedicated his musical career and communal activities to Sun Ra. Though he managed to play in other groups (often only with Ra's permission) like on Coltrane's Africa/Brass Sessions in 1961 (which btw is one of the many stellar Coltrane recordings!). Patrick is one of my fav. sax players his tone is very familiar and noticable in Sun Ra's landmark albums from the 60's. In my opinion Sun Ra had the best make up of musicians and arguably the best reed section in free jazz (Marshall Allen, John Gilmore, & Pat Patrick) next to fellow Chicago freebirds the Art Ensemble of Chicago.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2006, 03:41 AM   #7
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the link
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 03:25 AM   #8
DJ durutti
empty page

DJ durutti has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
see also: http://djdurutti.blogspot.com/2006/1...for-deval.html

for more on Pat Patrick, Sun Ra & MA Gov-elect Deval Patrick from a Thurston, Sun Ra and Deval fan in Boston.
DJ durutti is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth