Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm sorry, but Sonic Youth are no longer my favourite artist
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.23.2008, 06:14 AM   #61
sarramkrop

Sonic Youth are and will always be my favourite rock band that mixed weird sounds with rock in a song format that has vague potential to appeal to the masses. I don't listen to them much anymore, not just because their records have been a let down in the last few years, but because I have literally played the records to death, to the extent that they have become a major influence in how I think about music. When I do put on one of their records everything that I love about their music is there present and correct. They also happen to be that rare breed of geniuses who seem to have an approachable and relaxed manner about them, so extra points to them.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 06:39 AM   #62
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
ain;t nothing gonna top coming down from a 10 hour LSD trip around 7:00am and running into a fneighbor in my dorm and asking if he ahd some mechanical music because I needed mechanical music and he played me 99% NOW TURN ON TUNE IN BREAK OUT THIS IS A GAME...and I sat and listened to the whole album
YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER! and I loved it and it made everything alllllllright and then I slept for 10 hours.

ahhh, 1993.

That's one thing that I have never done: played SY's music on drugs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 06:43 AM   #63
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Never were mine, darling.
Old 08.23.2008, 07:33 AM   #64
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
That's one thing that I have never done: played SY's music on drugs.

Listened to A Thousand Leaves on pills once. That was amazing. Unfortunately, the nature of the pills was such that absolutely everything was amazing, to the extent that I'm pretty sure there was a Philip Glass tune stuck for about 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 09:04 AM   #65
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i love sonic youth, but theyre not my favorite, close though.

favorite artist: captain beefheart
favorite band:the fall

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 09:18 AM   #66
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
and as for 'bad lietenent', what the fuck werner? i was actually looking forward to a remake because as much as i love the originals, and keitel's performance is one of the best of all time, i always felt the film could have been enhanced by a slightly bigger budget. but nick cage filling in for harvey keitel? this aint never gonna work. i love cage when he was younger like in 'wild at heart' and 'raising arizona', but he has seriously just gotten worse and worse at acting every film hes been in for like 12 years. and herzog may have lost it. i thought 'rescue dawn' was a piece of shit film as well, and now hes ruining bad liutenent.

listen to pink reason
Old 08.23.2008, 09:38 AM   #67
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Re "Bad Lietenant" - Herzog is obviously doing it for money, and don't me get started on Nicholas "I shagged Jemma Jameson, and she dumped me, I'm that much of a loser" Coppola....

I still love what Sonic Youth stand for, and have a huge amount of admiration for them in general. Having said that, much of their post-"Daydream Nation" releases have left me either cold or simply bored...
Old 08.23.2008, 09:52 AM   #68
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I still love what Sonic Youth stand for, and have a huge amount of admiration for them in general. Having said that, much of their post-"Daydream Nation" releases have left me either cold or simply bored...

Thats probably more than two thirds of everything they've ever done!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 09:55 AM   #69
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Yup, sure is. I've been very reliably informed to re-listen to "A Thousand Trees", so will be doing so this weekend.
Old 08.23.2008, 09:56 AM   #70
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
ATL is amazing melly.
Old 08.23.2008, 10:09 AM   #71
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
It is a lovely album actually, and I've only actually truely discovered that this week, I used to have it down with Dirty as my least enjoyed SY albums, but Kims tracks are so... heavy, and Lee's are so poetic and beautiful. Thurston's tracks are pretty dull, but it, interestingly, it's the only SY album where Thurston DOESN'T sing the majority of tracks, therefore its thoroughly bearable.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 10:45 AM   #72
batreleaser
invito al cielo

a thousand leaves is thier best full length of the 90s, for me, by far.

listen to pink reason
Old 08.23.2008, 10:55 AM   #73
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth are still my favourite band.

I'm not too into A Thousand Leaves though, I prefer Washing Machine.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 11:00 AM   #74
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Melly: ATL. It's the one. NYCG&F is also great. But ATL is the one. For a context, remember that alternative-rock was getting into a bit of a Tortoise/ Post-rock hole at the time, and ATL sort of fits into that genre and kind of destroyed it (for me at least). Which is odd, SY coming back to eat a genre that they were partly responsible for in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 11:16 AM   #75
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Cheers Glice. Will check out NYCG&F afterwards as well.
Old 08.23.2008, 12:16 PM   #76
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Sonic Youth are and will always be my favourite rock band that mixed weird sounds with rock in a song format that has vague potential to appeal to the masses. I don't listen to them much anymore, not just because their records have been a let down in the last few years, but because I have literally played the records to death, to the extent that they have become a major influence in how I think about music. When I do put on one of their records everything that I love about their music is there present and correct. They also happen to be that rare breed of geniuses who seem to have an approachable and relaxed manner about them, so extra points to them.
exactly
well said
you're still a twat though
Old 08.23.2008, 01:34 PM   #77
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's funny for me because while my favourite albums remain those released prior to DDN, I actually think they're a more interesting band now. I may not like much of what they've done since those early releases, but it still intrigues me. Even something like Rather Ripped (which is an album I really dislike) is arguably more interesting - as a 'chapter' in the SY 'saga' than my favourite LP of their's, Sister. I get the feeling that since the release of Murray Street they've become their own band. Whether that band is necessarily a good one is largely beside the point.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 02:26 PM   #78
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Who the FUCK is Sonic Youth?
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 02:32 PM   #79
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, just some no-name band.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2008, 02:38 PM   #80
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
If you want to know who sonic youth is, listen to the wesley willis song "sonic youth".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth