Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm sorry, but Sonic Youth are no longer my favourite artist
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2008, 05:34 AM   #1
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
That honour now belongs to Autechre, I decided this evening. It's been a nice 4 years of having SY at the top, however, times change and they have been overtaken by incredibly awesome electronic music.

Granted, they are still my favourite band, just now if someone asks who my favourite artist is, I can no longer truthfully reply with Sonic Youth.
Old 08.22.2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Right now, they're not my favourite artist. I don't know if they will be again, I've tried listening to Confusion is Sex, Sonic Nurse, Sister, Murray St recently, but I don't love them as much as I used to. I might try Daydream soon.
My favourite artist is Ed Kuepper, he just has so much amazing stuff - The Saints, Laughing Clowns, The Aints, a solo career.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:42 AM   #3
al shabbray

f you like autechre then you should check out all of warps backkatalog. this label is unbelieveable!!!
favourite warp artist and favourite electronic artist of all time for me:

BOARDS OF CANADA

they are creating some of the most beautiful music out there
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:46 AM   #4
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Yeah Boards of Canada are another favourite of mine. Music Has The Right to Children brings back memories of my last summer holidays. I'm rather fond of that album, Geogaddi was a bit of a let down though.
Old 08.22.2008, 05:47 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah Autechre were my favorite for about 6 months at some point.

Sonic Youth has never been my favorite artist. I just think this board is one of the best gatherings of people into all types of different music. So, in that regard, maybe Sonic Youth is technically the best, if not my favorite. It's like what I always say about the Misfits... you can be a "punk", a metalhead, a goth, whatever, but you'll probably groove to the Misfits. Well, you may be into gamelan, glitch music, 90's college rock, power electronics, rap, whatever, but you'll probably like (or at least appreciate) Sonic Youth more than most other bands of this type.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Luna
empty page

Luna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's assesLuna kicks all y'all's asses
SY never were my favourite band. It's Pink Floyd for me.
Although they certainly are one of my favourites.
Luna is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:48 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
As far as electronic music goes, as I always say, listen to Eight Frozen Modules - Thought Process Disorder. It's like Venetian Snares covering Autechre songs or something. It's really weird stuff; it's got that cold electronic sound but it's also one of the most stereophonically-fucked things you'll ever hear too.

Old 08.22.2008, 05:48 AM   #8
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I still enjoy listening to Sonic Youth but not as much as I used to. Maybe sometime I'll get into them again but I reckon it will take a long while.
Old 08.22.2008, 05:49 AM   #9
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah Autechre were my favorite for about 6 months at some point.

Sonic Youth has never been my favorite artist. I just think this board is one of the best gatherings of people into all types of different music. So, in that regard, maybe Sonic Youth is technically the best, if not my favorite. It's like what I always say about the Misfits... you can be a "punk", a metalhead, a goth, whatever, but you'll probably groove to the Misfits. Well, you may be into gamelan, glitch music, 90's college rock, power electronics, rap, whatever, but you'll probably like (or at least appreciate) Sonic Youth more than most other bands of this type.
Yeah I'd agree with what you said about SY there. They're kinda the middle ground, I reckon. Got me into loads of other music.
Old 08.22.2008, 05:49 AM   #10
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Yeah Boards of Canada are another favourite of mine. Music Has The Right to Children brings back memories of my last summer holidays. I'm rather fond of that album, Geogaddi was a bit of a let down though.
really? my favourite is geogaddi.
I love its overall atmosphere and some of my favourite BoC tracks are on there, like gyroscope, down chorus, julie and candy etc.
the one I dont like that much s the campfire headphase, but its still a good album in general. the "some old tunes" tracks are awesome too
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:50 AM   #11
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth has never really been my favorite, but they've been up there.

Not for a while though, but I have been listening to them a bit more lately.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:51 AM   #12
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Yeah I'd agree with what you said about SY there. They're kinda the middle ground, I reckon. Got me into loads of other music.

yep I kinda owe sonic youth my whole musical evolution, as a starting point and as a middle ground.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:52 AM   #13
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
really? my favourite is geogaddi.
I love its overall atmosphere and some of my favourite BoC tracks are on there, like gyroscope, down chorus, julie and candy etc.
the one I dont like that much s the campfire headphase, but its still a good album in general. the "some old tunes" tracks are awesome too
Yeah every BoC fan sucks the dick of Geogaddi, I just feel it's inferior to MHTRTC. Like, sure it's a different album and stuff, but MHTRTC just has a sound that appeals to me moar.
Old 08.22.2008, 05:53 AM   #14
al shabbray

and thats good. I always thought that way bout mhtrtc, haahaha.
ok lets meet us un the middle (old tunes) they got the best of both
*staringthroughtheBOCkaleidoscopeintothesun*
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:54 AM   #15
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
My musical starting point was the Ramones. They used to be my favourite band, but I hardly ever listen to them now. If I'm asked about my favourite bands, I usually don't mention them.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 05:57 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

For the record, my favorite band of all time is either Captain Beefheart, Sun City Girls, or Boredoms. It changes depending on which one I'm listening to at the time.

Old 08.22.2008, 05:58 AM   #17
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
i ve been questioning the same, some years now, but i have decided they will remain my favourate band.
its so many years and they are loveble in multi ways for multi reasons.
also its due to them, i started looking around and having flirts, crushes, love affairs and lasting love relationships, so i have to love them more for that.
plus it breaks my heart when they do things i dont like and thats one reason im sealing my mouth about them. i speak only one time and then i shut up.

exactly. I wouldnt walk around telling everybody I am listenign to them. I just say it once out of a conversation, but afterwards I never mention that again. its the only act I do it that way. with everything else I could rush around and tell everbody that they have to listen to it. with SY its kinda different. you nailed it nefeli
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 06:01 AM   #18
Benedictus
empty page

Benedictus has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Sonic Y. doesn't really need to stay on top of the top of all good bands theres millons of bands out there, that are amazing, but how many bands got influenced by SY, but of how amazing music did SY get influenced by. As long SY leaves a experimental avantgardist message they are happy that people go out with such an idea.Especially for people that dont dare to step out lavels. I myself do a lot of world music, but depends on the mood, theres soundtracks for every day, and every moment. I am not sad if SY is not on my stereo every single day.
Benedictus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2008, 06:01 AM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

WHY?! WHY?!!!!!!!

Old 08.22.2008, 06:03 AM   #20
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Traitor !!
Leave this board immediately !!!

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth