Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you love/hate about music right now?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2008, 07:48 AM   #1
sarramkrop

Not your own (unless you put anything out). You start, I haven't finished eating my baguette.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I'm enjoying plenty of foreign music at the moment. I think the language barrier lets me listen more to the melodies, and they are good melodies.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 07:51 AM   #3
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I hate how everyone and their grandma has a fucking band right now. I love how paying for music has become, for the most part, optional.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 07:53 AM   #4
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I love that there are so many great drone releases coming out in the meantime since it's that genre that I fancy the most nowadays.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 07:58 AM   #5
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I hate the fact that there's no way I could keep up with all the releases put out by bands I like.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 07:59 AM   #6
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Love - the sheer variety and creativity of some of the better music out there at the moment. The greatness of some writing within the blogosphere.

Hate - The ever-increasing tabloidisation of music coverage in the UK, and the continuing pointless existence of the NME - once a genuinely entertaining and iconoclastic read, now reduced to whoring themselves to the major record labels to get "exclusive" access to the likes of the worthless Coldplay and the vacuous Kylie. Also: Noel "I'm a stupid, bigoted cunt" Gallagher and Jo "yah, I'm so indie OK, I was just saying this to my girlfriend Mary J Blige at the nail salon in Soho" Whiley.
Old 06.23.2008, 08:28 AM   #7
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
love- tonnes of great music that suprise you when you come accross it

hate- tonnes of shite shite music that pisses you off when you come accross it.
Old 06.23.2008, 08:46 AM   #8
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
I love to discover new bands thanks to this board.
I hate the "music" on the radio.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
love - blues/garage/etc revival
love - what the NME would call "new weird america"

hate - the fact that everything good is relatively obscure to the mainstream public and not getting the exposure it deserves
Old 06.23.2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
love - what the NME would call "new weird america"

is that different to what the wire calls new weird america?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
is that different to what the wire calls new weird america?
is what wire calls new weird america like devendra banhart and ariel pink and shit like that? they all live in LA and take DMT.

i don't know, i don't read any music magazines, i find them all to be pretty shit and very boring
Old 06.23.2008, 09:00 AM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
love - there's no restriction on music anymore. Anyone can make it -- which obviously spawns lots of bad shit, but it also means there's tons of amazing shit we'll actually hear thanks to myspace, soulseek, etc. Anyone with a computer can easily record albums now. It's nice. Also, plenty of great labels (Tzadik, Ipecac, Web of Mimicry) still release plenty of innovative records. Never to be taken for granted.

hate - The wrong bands (No Age, Be Your Own Pet, HEALTH, Deerhunter, etc.) usually get all the attention. Not that all those bands are necassarily awful, but there are plenty more amazing bands doing plenty more amazing things that never get the exposure they deserve. It's always been like that, though, and I guess in this age -- when any band is a soulseek/myspace/youtube/last.fm away -- I figured it wouldn't totally 100% be like that.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 09:01 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Also, when I think of new weird america, I try to just focus on cerberus shoal and six organs of admittance and sun city girls. You know, the good stuff that gets lumped in that supposed "genre".

Old 06.23.2008, 09:11 AM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
love - I love how younger bands have realized that putting out a vinyl release with a CD-R of the record inside, or a coupon for a free download of the album allows their fans to blast forth their music in any way they so choose, but still get a sweet piece of art in the vinyl.

hate - as always, bleep bloop electronic repetetive music made by some dipshit on his apple computer.
Old 06.23.2008, 09:22 AM   #15
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
love: there is a higher volume of incredible underground and extreme bands in america now than there ever has been.

hate: there is a higher volume of absolute bullshit bands in america than there ever has been.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 09:27 AM   #16
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
love - there's no restriction on music anymore. Anyone can make it -- which obviously spawns lots of bad shit, but it also means there's tons of amazing shit we'll actually hear thanks to myspace, soulseek, etc. Anyone with a computer can easily record albums now. It's nice. Also, plenty of great labels (Tzadik, Ipecac, Web of Mimicry) still release plenty of innovative records. Never to be taken for granted.

hate - The wrong bands (No Age, Be Your Own Pet, HEALTH, Deerhunter, etc.) usually get all the attention. Not that all those bands are necassarily awful, but there are plenty more amazing bands doing plenty more amazing things that never get the exposure they deserve. It's always been like that, though, and I guess in this age -- when any band is a soulseek/myspace/youtube/last.fm away -- I figured it wouldn't totally 100% be like that.

the reason those bands are gettin more exposure is because, though theyre so called 'underground', theyre still a helluva lot more accesible than say, rat bastard. i generally think of there being an 'underground', with bands like no age and deerhunter and liars, and then a 'sub underground', where the really wild shit goes down. i mean, i like no age, they make nice enthemic sing alongs, and deerhunter is pretty good, and liars used to be sorta allright, but none of those bands are anything fascinating, and are all pretty easy to grasp. thats why they get all the exposure. its always been like that. in the 80s, you could read a hundred articles about the replacements and rem every week, but prolly would have to break your neck to find something about hanatarash or borbetomagus. underground and sub-underground.

listen to pink reason
Old 06.23.2008, 09:32 AM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I honestly think LIARS kinda suck ass. Drum's Not Dead is cool but having recently went back and listened to their entire recorded output... wow. Like I've always said, they're awful songwriters (and actually kinda shitty musicians), and the only really talented members left after the first album. They get a lot of credit for "changin their sound" every album -- but tons of bands do that and with a lot more interesting results than LIARS. Also, the singer for that band is just completely awful; he uses the same "chanting nonsense through a distortion pedal" effect on every song. I heard bands like HEALTH called "Liars-like" now. What the fuck does that even mean? LIARS do have some cool songs scattered throughout their catalogue, but their EP's especially are filled with shit. Yet somehow... SOMEHOW... I still have an urge to listen to them, hoping they'll do something amazing. Drum's Not Dead is pretty awesome beginning to end, but I love drums in general and I mainly like that album for the way the drums sound.

Okay, sorry to derail the thread, back on topic...

Old 06.23.2008, 09:35 AM   #18
batreleaser
invito al cielo

'drums not dead' was a very cool record. trippy, good to get stoned too, etc.. 's/t' was shit, which ive said many times. 'they were wrong so we drowned' was like 5th rate nowave/noise rock, fuck it. 'they us all in a trench' was cool.

listen to pink reason
Old 06.23.2008, 09:37 AM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

drum's not dead, to me, sounds like they were trying to do a "dark-indie" vision creation newsun (which itself was a more psychadelic "future days"), but it is good.

they were wrong so we drowned, I've always hated that album, there is one song on it that is absolutely genius though... that "I'll take care of you" song..

Old 06.23.2008, 09:40 AM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
After I saw Liars live 2 months ago, I can honestly say they're one of the best current live bands around. The show was infernal.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth