Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page how do you feel about The Eternal as a "final album"?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.27.2012, 08:05 PM   #61
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
nurse marked a changing point in my life

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2012, 09:27 PM   #62
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
meee too. Nurse is still my fav whole album, although I do love some early moments. Nurse came at the perfect time for me to get back into the yooth again (and noise rock).
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2012, 11:14 PM   #63
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
It really doesn't have to be anymore complicated than just realizing the majority aren't very fond of RR or The Eternal. I have yet to see anyone express a feeling of "betrayal" because they were disappointed in the last two albums... which is just silly.

I actually believe both albums have received an abundance of unnecessary criticism in the past ("past" being the key word), as both are still very listenable. But why would a "serious music fan" settle for mediocrity in the first place? Of course my expectations will be high for this band.... why wouldn't they be? regardless of the preceding albums. My experiences listening to both of those records have been intermittent, and maybe someday I will appreciate them more... but right now that just isn't the case. It has more to do with preference than anything else.

And no offense... but to me it sounds like you're attempting to invigorate something that even you don't think is a big deal (apparently). I will stay loyal to them and whatever the members do elsewhere, that doesn't mean I abruptly begin feeling like the band has betrayed me because I was disappointed in their last album. I do however question why you'd want them to persist in releasing records that are merely listenable, and have hardly much else to offer aside from that.... as it could result in deplorable redundancy.

Not thoroughly enjoying the latter part of SY's career isn't really relevant when it comes to posting on here, is it? The Eternal was released in 09, and for all we know that was the final studio album we'd ever hear out of them again. But you're still visiting this board, no? I firmly agree with a lot of demonrail's comments, and they're still probably my favorite band of all time. They have done enough for me to accept whatever direction they choose to pursue... This is a very similar outlook I have on many artists whom I admire. I don't expect them to be impeccable... every single piece of work a masterpiece. This doesn't make it impervious for me to dislike something they've done.

It seems you donīt understand what I have written or you just donīt want to understand what I have written. I think you havenīt been as active as I in this board, because you think here are no fans that think Sy has betrayed them. Just search old "rather Ripped" thread and you can read how much hate there is about that album.

You can think am I serious listener or not, but I donīt want to listen music that is mediocre. But that doesnīt mean I listen only avantgarde. To me most important thing in music is that it gives me strong feelings and musicmaker has making it putting 100% from himself to it. And in my opinion SY has put 100% all of their records.

Are you really forgetting SYR9 came 2011 (and itīs not SYR release from older material like some others, it is recorded in 2010)? I think itīs recorded in studio, so to me itīs also studio album. And when Itīs SY-record, to me itīs totally same is it official or not. After that has came at least Thurstonīs two solos, Leeīs Solo, Ono/Gordon/Moore-release and soon Glacial. To me SY is living band and no-one knows are there coming also some new SY-release sometime in the future. But really, if SY will split, I will not be here anymore.

The whole point into my writing is that if you donīt like the newest SY material, why you have to complain about it now and then? I have been great Red Hot Chili Peppers-fan, but I donīt like their two last albums at all. I donīt have any interests to go their message board, but if I had, I wouldnīt go there now then keep on saying how lousy album Stadium Arcadium is. There really has been lots of comments "rather ripped is shit, I hate it" "the eternal is shit" etc. Also itīs not very long time when E. noisefield started thread where he wants to tell he donīt like Eternal. If you havenīt seen them, you really havenīt been active here. I donīt really believe also SY will ever make like for example Metallica, I mean try to do album what fans want to them (Death Magnetic=the worst Metallica album Iīve heard).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2012, 01:16 AM   #64
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Nobody is in any position to suggest how people should feel about an artist's body of work.

It was a question. Not a suggestion. Every single person in this thread is speaking about their own feelings.

Try reading the thread title, reading the posts, and even *thinking* before you try to snark off on everyone.

Smile, Charlie.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2012, 08:32 AM   #65
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i thought Murray Street was their best album since DDN.

Sonic Nurse was way better than The Eternal though, yes.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2012, 10:06 AM   #66
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Sonic Nurse would have been the perfect ending. enough said. i still love the etermal thogh.

Based on my rankings [below], I completely agree.

Sonic Youth - 6/10
Confusion Is Sex + Kill Your Idols - 8/10
Bad Moon Rising - 7/10
Evol - 9/10
Sister - 10/10
Daydream Nation - 10/10
Goo - 8/10
Dirty - 9/10
Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star - 7/10
Washing Machine - 9/10
A Thousand Leaves - 6/10
New York City Ghosts & Flowers - 5/10
Murray Street - 9/10
Sonic Nurse - 8/10
Rather Ripped - 7/10
The Eternal - 7/10

The Whitey Album - 7/10
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2012, 10:17 AM   #67
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
It was a question. Not a suggestion. Every single person in this thread is speaking about their own feelings.

Try reading the thread title, reading the posts, and even *thinking* before you try to snark off on everyone.

Smile, Charlie.
Sweet cheeks, not only you're terrible at writing about music, but you also seem to have problems reading. I wasn't referring to the title of the thread with that but to something Suchfriends wrote on the post right after my first on this thread. Now, if you don’t mind, I am a busy mother and need calm and peace before the kids are back from school.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2012, 04:10 PM   #68
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
Due to this thread I've been listening to Rather Ripped and rather loving it.

I can't wait.. to taste yr face!? whoa.

Really though.. RR is noteworthy for SY trying to encapsulate a lot of their different sonics into smaller, pop-structured songs. I do prefer The Eternal for that larger (noise) rock sound.. I guess I never thought of it (Eternal) as a final album because T had joked about it being a play on a black metal title, and I just always interpreted it as that.
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2012, 04:35 AM   #69
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Based on my rankings [below], I completely agree.

Sonic Youth - 6/10
Confusion Is Sex + Kill Your Idols - 8/10
Bad Moon Rising - 7/10
Evol - 9/10
Sister - 10/10
Daydream Nation - 10/10
Goo - 8/10
Dirty - 9/10
Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star - 7/10
Washing Machine - 9/10
A Thousand Leaves - 6/10
New York City Ghosts & Flowers - 5/10
Murray Street - 9/10
Sonic Nurse - 8/10
Rather Ripped - 7/10
The Eternal - 7/10

The Whitey Album - 7/10
since i have nothing better to do..

Sonic Youth - don't care
Confusion Is Sex - 7
Bad Moon Rising - 9
EVOL - 8
Sister - 10
Daydream Nation - 10
Goo - 7
Dirty - 6
EJSTNS - bad
Washing Machine - 7
A Thousand Leaves - 9
NYC Ghosts & Flowers - 6
Murray Street - 9
Sonic Nurse - 8
Rather Ripped - 4
The Eternal - 5

The Whitey Album - 6
Old 06.29.2012, 04:44 AM   #70
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
lol.

EJSTNS? Bad? LOL!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2012, 04:51 AM   #71
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
lol.

EJSTNS? Bad? LOL!
i was trolling tbh, need to re-listen to it sometime.
Old 06.29.2012, 04:52 AM   #72
louder
invito al cielo

you gotta admit i was right about all the other ratings though.
Old 06.29.2012, 05:31 AM   #73
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Yeh, yer in the ballpark for most of 'em. Kill yr Idols I'd give a 9 for sure though....and NYC a 9 as well....and Rather Ripped is at least a 7.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2012, 09:14 AM   #74
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth - 9
Confusion Is Sex - 10
Bad Moon Rising - 9
EVOL - 8
Sister - 10
Daydream Nation - 8
Goo - 7
Dirty - 6
Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star - 5
Washing Machine - 5
A Thousand Leaves - 7
New York City Ghosts & Flowers - 7
Murray Street - 7
Sonic Nurse - 4
Rather Ripped - 4
The Eternal - 5

The Whitey Album - 6
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2012, 12:11 PM   #75
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Sonic Youth - 7
Confusion Is Sex - 9
Bad Moon Rising - 9
EVOL - 8
Sister - 9
Daydream Nation - 8
Goo - 7
Dirty - 6
Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star - 1
Washing Machine - 6
A Thousand Leaves - 9
New York City Ghosts & Flowers - 8
Murray Street - 6
Sonic Nurse - 11+
Rather Ripped - 6
The Eternal - 5

The Whitey Album - 4

fixed that for ya

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2012, 02:58 PM   #76
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Think RR would've been a great finishing album, some super-arch meta statement about avoiding cliche by writing conventional material, doing it damn well then disappearing into the ether with but a wry wink from Thurston to let us in on the joke. Also, the PROBLEM with The Eternal is that it sounds a bit like every other record but without the edge of the earlier stuff, the sprawl of the midperiod or the melodicism of the latter, and though I'm not normally toooo bothered about production values Protools-ing or whatever a band that rely so heavily on tone is a crime against humanity.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2012, 03:03 PM   #77
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Based on my rankings [below]Sonic Nurse - 8/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Sonic Nurse - 8/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Sonic Nurse - 11+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Sonic Nurse - 10

That's probably the album I've listened to least. It's never grabbed me in any way but, given its almost across the board love, I'm sort of curious to give it another go now.

Have it on now.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2012, 07:16 AM   #78
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
That's probably the album I've listened to least. It's never grabbed me in any way but, given its almost across the board love, I'm sort of curious to give it another go now.

Have it on now.
this thread just made me give Sonic Nurse another go, myself. i do enjoy the album a lot more than i remembered. maybe i should've rated it even higher than an 8.
Old 07.01.2012, 12:57 AM   #79
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth - 8.5
Confusion is Sex - 8
Bad Moon Rising - 9.5
EVOL - 6.5
Sister - 7.5
Daydream Nation - 8
Goo - 4
Dirty - 6.5
EJSTNS - 7.5
Washing Machine - 5.5
A Thousand Leaves - 10 + + +
NYC Ghosts & Flowers - 8.5
Murray Street - 8.5
Sonic Nurse - 10
Rather Ripped - 3
The Eternal - 5.5

My current feelings.
Old 07.01.2012, 02:49 AM   #80
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth - 8.5
Confusion is Sex - 9.666
Bad Moon Rising - 9.4
EVOL - 12
Sister - 9.777
Daydream Nation - 10
Goo - 9.75
Dirty - 8
EJSTNS - 9.2
Washing Machine - 9.54
A Thousand Leaves - 10.8
NYC Ghosts & Flowers - 9