Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Why are the Black Keys FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.01.2014, 04:45 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
My favorite 2 member band (and it is bass and drums) is Death From Above 1979. I think they took it to such a full sound so energetic, no attempt to "blues it up". They straight RAWKED it Fucking love them.

Black Keys sounds to me like generic blues rock.

The White Stripes took that same tack but their heavily distorted and gain up to 11 guitar sound made it sound fresh and new, plus Jack White seemed to experiment more with song structure and tension in White Stripes as opposed to his terminally dull solo and raconteur stuff.

I have literally never heard Death From Above 1979, and I don't know why. Their s/t album is, like, a classic now. Yet I've never even thought to listen.

I think it's because I was a big DFA fan and DFA sued their asses long ago. Am I remembering that correctly even? I was sure that had happened. Anyway even if it didn't happen I thought it did, and just thought "Fuckers" and that probably primed me for a DFA1979 free existence.

Jesus I think they even played a festival I attended! How did I not hear or see them? That's some funny shit. Some dweeb momma's boy pitchfork writer wrote a biased piece about it or something- or maybe just phrased it in a certain way- and I wrote them off without even knowing it. Ha. Ah, the priming effect and negativity bias, Ho! Psychology, la la la.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2014, 04:46 PM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Anyway should I listen to DFA1979? I probably won't without some serious convincing, due to the brainwashing and whatnot.
Old 06.02.2014, 08:17 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
depends on what you like to rock to.
Old 06.02.2014, 10:24 AM   #24
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I've gotta say I laughed out loud when I read what Jack white wrote about this Dan Auberbach dbag in those ultra personal emails no one had any business reading.

But then, later, publicly, Jack said:

"There are kids at school who dress like everybody else, because they don't know what to do, and there are musicians like that, too. I'll hear TV commercials where the music's ripping off sounds of mine, to the point I think it's me. Half the time, it's the Black Keys."

-----

I'm sure they are all awful people. Awful people are the only musicians who get famous, generally speaking.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2014, 11:50 PM   #25
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Sticky Fingers > Jack White > Black Keys... THERE, resolved that issue

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2014, 01:11 AM   #26
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
I did a fucking coffee spit when I read that whole "they copied me!" thing. jesus christ jack, are you kidding? he's based his entire career on ripping off garage rock and blues, two genres which in their embryonic form (that is the exact form he presents it in) they're not exactly ripe for widened interpretation, and to have the temerity to accuse someone of 'stealing' your ideas when they're merely (really) minor permutations from a distinct lineage you have to be totally nuts.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2014, 04:03 PM   #27
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
For white stripes dont bother fucking around with their records, the epitome of what was good about them is captured in the live dvd under black pool lights

Old 06.19.2014, 09:47 AM   #28
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Sticky Fingers > Jack White > Black Keys... THERE, resolved that issue

If we're talking about Jack white solo then I don't have a fucking opinion because the music isn't interesting enough to inspire one. To be clear, I'm talking about the White Stripes when I talk about Jack being musically superior.

As people, yeah. They're all probably really fucked up. It's not very "punk" to put your kids in expensive private schools and worry about sitting through parent teacher conferences with other rich white people.
Old 06.19.2014, 10:26 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Anyway should I listen to DFA1979? I probably won't without some serious convincing, due to the brainwashing and whatnot.

I try not to convince people to listen to things, but their only full-length LP You're a Woman, I'm a Machine, is a fucking awesome album. It can either be blistering riffs with monster stomping drumming, or sexy groove guitar dancepunk type of thing. I love it. I have all their shit (EP's, singles) and for two dudes from Canadia ( ) they really bring the fucking heat.

Turn It Out (rockin)- http://youtu.be/So-yZjdHnK8
Sexy Results (groovin) - http://youtu.be/7oSbS3TmVq0
Old 07.08.2014, 04:20 PM   #30
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
ok, i finally found out who sings that 90's rip of T-REX via the Stones. what horseshit.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2014, 06:22 PM   #31
Beautiful Plateau
children of satan

Beautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's asses
Damn it! They truly are everywhere. They did a gig in my town last Saturday.

Beautiful Plateau is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2014, 06:33 PM   #32
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Plateau
Damn it! They truly are everywhere. They did a gig in my town last Saturday.

Motherfuckers!!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth