Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal Streaming Review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2009, 03:24 PM   #121
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizophrenia
i found two links. one in a blog and other in a music forum
quality seems good
PM Link? I've been listening to it streaming all day, but have a long drive tomorrow and wouldn't mind putting it on in the car
Old 04.28.2009, 03:25 PM   #122
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
this place kinda looks like this right now:

(guy in the middle is me listening to Anti orgasm)
Old 04.28.2009, 03:36 PM   #123
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I obviously need to let all of this sink in and listen to it a lot more, but my super-quick first impressions:

1. Sacred Trickster- An ok song, awesome opening to the song. Fitting as a quick opener.
2. Anti-Orgasm- This has some awesome fucking noise that we have not heard in quite some time. And have not heard in quite this way. Definitely one of the better tracks, it has a bit of everything. But not a stand-out track... and I mean that in the best possible way, as it implies an air of similar quality throughout the rest of the album.
3. Leaky Lifeboat- Beautiful opening. On the montage preview I was not at all excited for this. And it's awesome. Some amazing guitar sounds. New guitar sounds for them too.
4. Antenna- Sunny opening. Vocals not so hot, for me anyway. The vocals are similar to what they've done post-NYC Ghosts + Flowers. This is the only song that didn't excite me on first listen, and it was by no means bad. For all I know I could end up getting way into it next time around.
5. What We Know- Awesome opening. This album has lots of strong openings. My favorite Lee song in quite some time.
6. Calming the Snake- Fits into the album at this point nicely. I don't think it's lacking in any way.
7. Poison Arrow- Lou Reed-like vocal delivery from Thurston. Apparently lots of you thought this too. Ha ha.
8. Malibu Gas Station- Opening melody reminds me of the snow levels in Donkey Kong Country. Recent 'Daydream Nation' touring definitely influenced this one.
9. Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn- Some 'Nurse' sounds in a little bit of the guitar work, but not much. A good song.
10. No Way- This sounds way better recorded than when it did live almost a year ago whe I first heard it. Some nice rocking in this one. Some of the vocals sound like recent album vocal stylings, but inoffensively so.
11. Walkin Blue- The opening to this gave me a boner. Parts sound reminiscent to past Lee songs? Or am I just remembering the montage? But definitely awesome.
12. Massage the History- Acoustic guitar in Sonic Youth songs is weird to me. Otherwise enjoyable.

In sum:

All of the songs are rocking, but largely in a slightly relaxed way. The rock is there, the noise is there, the melodies are there. And it feels comfortable. Aside from the opening track, the tempo is pretty moderate. Ideas don't overstay their welcome. And I like this. Unlike the last two albums, I don't feel a nostalgia of songs past in the music. This album has its own awesome distinct feel, which 'Nurse' and 'Rather Ripped' were lacking. This 'feel,' which all of my favorite Sonic Youth albums have in spades, will become more clear as more time passes.

As for comparisons to other albums:

A Thousand Leaves- I don't hear it. There are a few meandering melodies, but not nearly as meandering, mellow, or expansive. I wouldn't compare the two at all.

Nurse- Nope. Aside from a couple of riffs here and there, I don't see this as Nurse 2.0 in the slightest. None of that jammy bullshit. Sure, 'Massage the History' is in the same vein as 'I Love You Golden Blue,' but 'I Love You Golden Blue' is nothing like the rest of 'Nurse.' This is completely a distinct album. At best, you can place it in a timeline, but that's it.

Goo- Uh, where? This comparison is confounding to me.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 03:38 PM   #124
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
THIS LP IS STRONG MY FRIENDS.
SOLID YOUTH.

~happy Rex~

Old 04.28.2009, 03:42 PM   #125
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

haha! why I can't rep you for the second time this day..?

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 03:43 PM   #126
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Glad to hear everyone is liking this. I just can't bring myself to listen to a rip of a web-stream, so I'll wait until the release date.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 03:44 PM   #127
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
8. Malibu Gas Station- Opening melody reminds me of the snow levels in Donkey Kong Country. Recent 'Daydream Nation' touring definitely influenced this one.

Haha how cool I want to hear this now

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 03:44 PM   #128
Schizophrenia
little trouble girl

Schizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

AHAHAHA this made my day

Schizophrenia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 03:49 PM   #129
Spiritual Amnesia
children of satan

Spiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
so, if i haven't pre-ordered the album, is it still possible to hear the stream?

yep!

---

anti-orgasm and massage the history are amazing !!!
Spiritual Amnesia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 03:50 PM   #130
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's not really the consensus per se. It's that...SY, for me, breaks down like this:

1. Early/Harsh/Dark=SY EP-EVOL
2. Epic Era=Sister/DDN/Goo
3. Being hounded by Grunge=Dirty/EJSTNS
4. 90s back to form=Washing Machine/1000 Leaves
5. Early 00's finding a new way=NYC/Murray Street
6. Mid 00's losing the way=Sonic Nurse/RR

The Eternal would, on first listen, create a #7. I not going to try to say The Eternal touches #s 1 & 2. But I could say it's the best they've done since Dirty barring Murray Street, "The Diamond Sea" and a few songs from EJSTNS.

Sounds about right. Though I'd call the late 90's period something a bit different than "back to form" because Washing Machine and ATL are nothing like their earlier stuff IMO
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 03:54 PM   #131
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
me likey the vibe in Malibu GS
Old 04.28.2009, 03:55 PM   #132
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Sounds about right. Though I'd call the late 90's period something a bit different than "back to form" because Washing Machine and ATL are nothing like their earlier stuff IMO

True, I couldn't think of anything to call it. "Diamond Sea" just throws everything for a loop...
Old 04.28.2009, 04:00 PM   #133
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Listening to this right now.. I really like how it does remind me of Rather Ripped, since I'm one of the few who enjoyed that album, but it's also more remniscient of A Thousand Leaves kind of. If not in sound, then in theory: The Eternal seems to combine their prettier and noisier moments, which is why ATL kicks so much ass

Old 04.28.2009, 04:02 PM   #134
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead

I'd put 'NYC Ghosts + Flowers' in the same category as 'Washing Machine' and 'A Thousand Leaves.' 'Murray Street' was the departure and beginning of a new period there. And I wouldn't call that period 'losing the way' as a result. Moreso just... derailed exploration of an idea? In which 'The Eternal' forms the next category, but not as a clean break, but as a bridge.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:07 PM   #135
summer
stalker

Eh "What We Know" seems like they're going through the motions more than anything

Old 04.28.2009, 04:15 PM   #136
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
It pisses me off slightly that it's leaked already, less than one day in; in truth, I bought more for the live LP than to hear it early, but still.

I've only listened to a few tracks. I'm tempted to listen to the whole album, even though I wanted to keep some of it.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:19 PM   #137
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
i really really DONīT like that record. Coming up with my song by song review. Prepare: Itīs done in a really good english! :-)
killthecaliforniagirls is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:26 PM   #138
Schizophrenia
little trouble girl

Schizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty good stuff.
Favorites at the time: Anti-Orgasm, Malibu Gas Station, Walkin Blue, Massage The History.

Schizophrenia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:27 PM   #139
summer
stalker

Thunderclap is a LOT better than the preview made it out to sound

Old 04.28.2009, 04:32 PM   #140
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
You guys are making it sound so good! I gotta wait until June.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth