Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Syd Barrett invented Noise-Rock
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2008, 11:35 AM   #1
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Yes alright I know he didn't, but it got your attention.

Is anyone familiar with Syd Barrett's track No Man's Land ?, from my all-time favourite album The Madcap Laughs (1970). I read somewhere this song was one of the earliest British rock songs to properly embrace what would later be known as 'Noise-Rock'. I was just wondering if people would agree with this, and what earlier British studio tracks embraced feedback quite like Syd does here?

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
I was just wondering if people would agree with this, and what earlier British artists embraced feedback quite like Syd does on this track?

Jeff Beck and the Who used feedback earlier than that, I haven't heard the Syd Barret song.

EDIT: I think you meant in the studio, so I can't give a specific answer then.
Old 03.23.2008, 01:45 PM   #3
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, your quite right, in the studio, i'll add that in then

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 03.23.2008, 01:57 PM   #4
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
keith rowe was before him and influenced him

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 02:12 PM   #5
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
keith rowe was before him and influenced him

Yes, but the emphasis here is on studio ROCK tracks not the avant-garde tinkerings. If this turns into 'but what is rock, really?' faces will be slapped.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 03.23.2008, 04:47 PM   #6
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
The Sonics were way before Syd and noisy all over the place. The Who and The Kinks openly admited they were borrowing heavily from them.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 05:45 PM   #7
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
the godz were in the 60's and they were definitley noisy.

and nihilist spasm band is an honest to god noise band, and they were in the 60's, why does everyone forget these guys.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
the godz were in the 60's and they were definitley noisy.

and nihilist spasm band is an honest to god noise band, and they were in the 60's, why does everyone forget these guys.

Well, he swore up and down that he only wanted to discuss "rock" bands. Sun Ra was already doing some noisy stuff in the '50s if we're going to look at all genres, and the Futurists were making noise music in the 1910s-1920s.
Old 03.23.2008, 06:57 PM   #9
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Yeah, i wanted this discussion to be confined to British acts really, simply because I'd get a million posts saying "THE VELVET UNDERGROUND!" otherwise (and quite rightly so). The Nihilist Spasm Band were Canadian, and Sun Ra was from outer-space, right?

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 03.23.2008, 08:10 PM   #10
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
No Man's Land was one of the few songs from Madcap that I liked when I first listened to it. I liked how it was a bit more of a "rock" song than the other acoustic ones. Now though, my favourites are Dark Globe, Golden Hair, Octopus, Late Night. But No Man's Land is still good - better than If It's In You.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 09:27 PM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
my bad, didnt read closely enough, sorry yall.

but the gods still apply.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.23.2008, 09:27 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

godz*

listen to pink reason
Old 03.23.2008, 09:27 PM   #13
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Interstellar Overdrive is pretty good evidence for your noise rock theory.
Old 03.23.2008, 10:17 PM   #14
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Yeah, i wanted this discussion to be confined to British acts really, simply because I'd get a million posts saying "THE VELVET UNDERGROUND!" otherwise (and quite rightly so). The Nihilist Spasm Band were Canadian, and Sun Ra was from outer-space, right?

You keep changing the rules! Next thing you'll say you only want it confined to guys who wore flowered and paisley shirts and drank acid instead of orange juice for breakfast!
Old 03.25.2008, 12:46 AM   #15
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

I just listened to The Madcap Laughs today, and No Man's Land is great, lots of feedback/distortion and a really good solo. Now it's one of my favourite Syd songs.
Old 03.25.2008, 07:47 AM   #16
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i don't get the fuss about syd barrett, i mean he's ok
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2008, 11:03 PM   #17
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I went back in time and found a band of caveman who called themselves "uggghr uggh ughhh" who hit shit with sticks and screamed in front of large audiences of other cavemen with their arms folded and slowly nodding.

Uggghr Uggh Ughhh were the first noise rock band

unless you cound Reeeeeeeowwwwwwwarrahhhh, the Velociraptor trio that entertained all the other dinosaurs
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2008, 12:31 AM   #18
batreleaser
invito al cielo

syd barret was a great songwriter, just listen to piper at the gates of dawn. that ablum was miles ahead of all the other psych bands, it actually sounded like an ablum inspired by acid, as oppose to all the other super happy psych shit goin on at the time. people whove done acid know its not all flowers and giggles and kaleidescopes on that shit, it can be one lonely, ugly expericne givin any arong stimul. not to mention, without syd, floyd got progressivley worse with every ablum. in fact theres not one floyd record i really like post-piper.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.26.2008, 05:28 AM   #19
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
syd barret was a great songwriter, just listen to piper at the gates of dawn. that ablum was miles ahead of all the other psych bands, it actually sounded like an ablum inspired by acid, as oppose to all the other super happy psych shit goin on at the time. people whove done acid know its not all flowers and giggles and kaleidescopes on that shit, it can be one lonely, ugly expericne givin any arong stimul. not to mention, without syd, floyd got progressivley worse with every ablum. in fact theres not one floyd record i really like post-piper.

Was this post inspired by acid too?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2008, 11:01 AM   #20
batreleaser
invito al cielo

maybe it was...

listen to pink reason

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth