Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Horrors
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2007, 09:34 PM   #1
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
having read the christmas issue of NME (THE shittiest publication I have ever read), I came across a band called the Horrors. Even though I knew they would probably be bad, I youtubed them up, and what I discovered was the biggest copping of the Birthday Party if I'ved ever heard one (I want to check out the BP more btw).

Proof:

compare these two videos (live)

The Horrorshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKf5zccHeOU

the Birthday Partyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWn0qcRYFA

The Horrors cop them off from the hair, the voice and even the Fender jaguar.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 09:51 PM   #2
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Interesting. Well, if it turns out that you end up really liking The Birthday Party after checking them out, then you should also like The Horrors, given that they copy the BP so well. Unless, of course, if the copying is only on the surface, which I suspect it is.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 10:14 PM   #3
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
The video is silly, but I can't really form an opinion without hearing an original song of theirs, assuming that they do those too.

Not that I expect an original song could redeem them, but fair is fair, after all.

I like it when bands shamelessly imitate other bands. In this case, it's like they think they're the only ones who have listened to the Birthday Party, and therefore no one else will notice, or something. I don't know, but that has always been funny to me.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 10:19 PM   #4
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Ive always felt i should get a Birthday Party album or something, Nick Cave's solo work has always been pretty shit to my ears. Ive not heard either The Birthday Party or The Horrors, what are they like? Is it this kind of "Psychobilly" thing, like 80s Matchbox b-line disaster?
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2007, 11:19 PM   #5
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Whether you like them or not, you have to admit, they're more proof that NME is rather ignorant of old underground music.

Old 01.19.2007, 11:23 PM   #6
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

the Birthday Party are reallly interesting me at the moment. They're like Joy Division meets the Stooges on acid.

Old 01.19.2007, 11:57 PM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
Whether you like them or not, you have to admit, they're more proof that NME is rather ignorant of old underground music.

Well its a magazine unaware of its own cultural importance. The last culturally important thing they did was to endorse the libertines, but since then theyve taken zero risks. I still remember seeing that Godspeed! You black Emperor front cover and thinking how incredibly brave and daring it was to have that front cover.
Its so sad how NME has driven away people who would normally read it, I can understand its motivation to sell copies, but they have just become an industry mouthpiece. A magazine like that should be pushing acts not massively popular - although i realise putting muse on the front cover is going to be done, i wish they would give something to the less popular string of the musical world. I mean, even if they put something like Explosions in the sky on the cover.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2007, 06:49 AM   #8
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
The singer got beaten up by a random person a while ago round here where i live.They're shit and the only interesting thing about them is that Cunningham video.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth