Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee Ranaldo picks his favorite albums of the decade
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.29.2009, 07:43 PM   #21
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you so much for posting this, Moshe - the video really made my week. l know, Lee's a "super Dylan freak" (his own confession on the I'm Not There DVD extras), but still, "Love and Theft" has meant so much to me for nine years now that it was a joyful jolt to hear him talk about it (not to mention it makes me feel less of a nerd for posting those deranged amounts of Dylan torrent links on this board's Dime thread). You Are Free is also a record I love deeply and the fact that he ranks it right up there with Blue and Songs of Love and Hate is FABULOUS! Now, the cherry on top of the cake is his response and body language when the interviewer (dude, you were Q&A'ing Lee Fucking Ranaldo - was it so hard to film this thing from the opposite angle? Shit, you didn't even need to place the camera elsewhere; just switch chairs with Lee, son!) mentions that Radiohead albums were topping the radio station's list at that moment: arms cross, leg goes up and on top of the other, and a resounding "Really...?" Perfect.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2009, 02:40 AM   #22
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
I sorta like Love and Theft (even if it is a retread of the much better Time Out of Mind.)

Whaaaa? It perplexes me when people say this! I know Time Out of Mind was the big 'comeback', but to me it feels very hollow and the production is lacking.. some of the songs are beautiful, but to me 'Love and Theft' is a masterpiece from start to finish, with all kinds of intricacies in the instrumentation that keep me listening over and over. If anything, I'd consider 'Modern Times' part 2 of 'Love and Theft', but I really see it as quite far beyond 'Time Out of Mind', in both style and sound...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2009, 03:27 AM   #23
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i can't say i've ever found the two all that different aside from a production standpoint. perhaps "retread" was really poor wording. "love and theft" is an exceptional effort in dylan's catalog and much better than "modern times" and "together through life" (these two i'd be more keen to call "retreads"), but i feel he perfected the same rootsy/bloozy approach a lot better with "time out of mind."

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2009, 05:05 AM   #24
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, maybe I just can't see past the production. "Love and Theft" just sounds so full of life while "Time Out of Mind" sounds like I'm listening to it on an AM radio from the 50s (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

The live versions of 'Trying To Get To Heaven' and 'Cold Irons Bound' on the latest Bootleg Series are phenomenal though... but I digress...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2009, 03:25 PM   #25
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpotbntmy
Lee Ranaldo picks his nose.

Lee looks like the Fonze here
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2009, 03:28 PM   #26
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Just makes me wish even more that Lee would release a stripped back solo record of songs, ala Trees Outside the Academy. I'm sure that would blow minds.
I've been waiting for that damn thing since 2006, when it was mentioned on The Wire that Lee's singer-songwriter album was in the works/coming soon and all it needed was a little push from Thurston to finally get done and released. LR, give us that record in 2010 or I will kick your ass!

The closest to a singer-songwriter Lee recording we have by now is that "Eric's Trip" demo, isn't it?

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2009, 04:28 PM   #27
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
The closest to a singer-songwriter Lee recording we have by now is that "Eric's Trip" demo, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirttail
Don't forget the "rehearsal tapes" version of "Wish Fulfillment" on the deluxe edition of Dirty!

Both of which are amazing! Get it together Lee!
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2009, 03:57 PM   #28
e_s_d
little trouble girl

e_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's asses
Day After Tomorrow... Independence Day...

Arg.

Do you think/hope that Lee's joking?

Kinda ruined my day.
e_s_d is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth