Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Demonlover
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.12.2008, 12:59 AM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
It's been a while...

I'm not sure if this really belongs in this section of the forum because it's not totally SY related (chabib, feel free to move this if you feel it necessary), but I saw Demonlover (that French film from a few years ago that SY did the background music for) over the weekend and was interested if anyone else saw it and what they thought of it...

Musically, the score was great...probably did a better job of capturing the on-the-edge mood of the film than any standard orchestral score could...

Plotwise, I felt it was interesting (though the French dialog was a bit of a hurdle) though I'm not quite sure how I felt about the ending.

Other thoughts/opinions?
Old 02.12.2008, 03:05 AM   #2
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
the movie was so/so... but the soundtrack is the shit! just have a look at the appreciation thread is tarted a few days ago about it:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19555

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
I saw it last week at Anthology, here's a good link about this flick and SY:
http://www.reverseshot.com/legacy/se.../daydream.html

I thought the score was kind of minimal in this movie, I think SY stood out more or was used to better effect in Asia Argento's "Heart is Deceitful..."

As for the movie itself, I found it pretty good. Connie Nielsen was great in the lead role I think, and obviously she looked very beautiful here. I think the movie was a bit ambiguous on what happened in that house she gets taken to (wearing that hood, and then next scene we see her with the wound on her arm etc), Im wondering if that was the 10 minutes that got cut out after the Cannes fest. I thought the ending was pretty good too, the last shot when she is looking into the camera. She def played that role well, the whole sadistic/masochistic dichotomy, the attraction/repulsion to it. But the movie had so many angles it wanted to cover, like also the political angle, (notice what's on the newscasts) and the economics as well. Overall Id give it 7/10.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2008, 06:42 PM   #4
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
i own it and ive watched it a few times. i can't get myself to pay attention through the whole movie though. the soudntrack is tight as hell though.
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2008, 10:54 AM   #5
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
demonlover is a very interesting film, unique even. The magazine Film Comment ran a few good articles about it in 2002 and 2003. If you can dig them up, they're worth it.
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth