Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page So I'm now a newspaper section editor...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.27.2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Alright, after some hard work I'm now an editor at my university newspaper. We have a circulation of a few thousand so it's pretty swish, and I'm editor of the MUSIC section!!!11

Anyway, I'm here to steal some of your ideas. What would you like to see in a music pullout feature-wise. BEARING in mind this is a student newspaper, nothing too hardcore/wilfully obscure.

I'm thinking of introducing a local gigs listings page, a "classic" obscure album profile each issue along with the usual reviews et al. Any other ingenious ideas? PROPER ideas?!!!!!
Old 04.27.2007, 06:47 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
that's a nice job to land.

congrats!

it must be the power of powdered toast.

do a running "this album SUCKS" feature. that would be sure to make you enemies (and sell more papers).
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
do a running "this album SUCKS" feature. that would be sure to make you enemies (and sell more papers).

That's a good idea!

Also, make up bands and write reviews for them. The album, "When You Find Your Love In The Arms Of Some Scotsmen From Hull" by Arthur Hodgeson and The Kneecaps is... sensational..

A joke review would become a funny favorite for readers, so you'd sell more copies for each issue.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 07:17 PM   #4
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I remember trying to do fake reviews for my high school paper but the rest of the staff was all "journalistic integrity" this and "duty to the Truth" that.

Explains why nobody cared about reading the rag.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 07:28 PM   #5
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
my father is a newspaper editor.
Old 04.28.2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Jawsome. What does he do to sell papers?

...Don't say sex. Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatinsmothly
it must be the power of powdered toast.

POWDERED. TOAST. ...MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

I wish I had a phone embedded in my tongue too. And two slices of toast for a head for that matter.
Old 04.29.2007, 03:05 AM   #7
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
Jawsome. What does he do to sell papers?

well, he's not the managing editor, so he has nothing to do with sales. he works for the large regional paper (the Spokane Spokesman-Review), which pretty much sells itself.
Old 04.29.2007, 06:50 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
you should talk about scissor shock..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
This is the job I want when I go to uni next year. A 'Where To Start with...' feature is always good and can be most useful when just discovering a new artist....The classic album feature is a must, Daydream Nation, Funhouse, Spiderland would be a few good titles to start with.
Old 04.29.2007, 07:24 AM   #10
The Black Wizards
empty page

The Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's asses
Are you actually interested in our ideas or did you just want to boast to a bunch of faceless strangers?
The Black Wizards is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Jt
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
This is the job I want when I go to uni next year. A 'Where To Start with...' feature is always good and can be most useful when just discovering a new artist....The classic album feature is a must, Daydream Nation, Funhouse, Spiderland would be a few good titles to start with.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain the classic albums feature can work - basically at the meetings I'll probably just throw it open to whoever suggests a decent album. What do you mean by 'Where To Start with...' though? Like a guide to a bunch of albums by an artist? I think Mojo do that (they did one on SY once I seem to recall). If that's what you mean it's a good call - I might try developing that. The problem would be space - it'd be like 500 words minimum to be deep enough, right? I'd probably need to expand the section for that, which is risky because if I ask for more pages for the section and wind up not being able to fill them some issues, I *will* get verbally raped. And probably fired.

I was thinking for next issue maybe a feature on feminism through the ages in rock - I've been listening to Bush Tetras and Au Pairs a lot recently and I think it could make an interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Wizards
Are you actually interested in our ideas or did you just want to boast to a bunch of faceless strangers?

A. Who the hell are you?! Did you introduce yourself on the other thread?
B. What would be the point in that? I'm here to tax ideas from people since I figure people on an SY board probably read loads of music rags and I want to hear what they think worked in other papers. Criiipes...
Old 04.29.2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
yeah thats what I mean, Say if we we doing Sonic Youth, a brief history - some essencial albums and a few tracks to check out.
Old 04.29.2007, 01:10 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
Alright, after some hard work I'm now an editor at my university newspaper. We have a circulation of a few thousand so it's pretty swish, and I'm editor of the MUSIC section!!!11

Anyway, I'm here to steal some of your ideas. What would you like to see in a music pullout feature-wise. BEARING in mind this is a student newspaper, nothing too hardcore/wilfully obscure.

I'm thinking of introducing a local gigs listings page, a "classic" obscure album profile each issue along with the usual reviews et al. Any other ingenious ideas? PROPER ideas?!!!!!

congrats, nice gig.

you could do rocknroll "histories", in installments. bands, movements, genres... installments keep people coming back.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Jt
children of satan

Yeah! Good stuff - maybe like every issue a focus on another movement in music. So shoegaze one week, new weird America the next, golden-age hip-hop the week after, krautrock... and so on? Like a continuing feature?

Hmmm. What about Artist Profile maybe, too? A few hundred words each issue on a lesser-known, up-and-coming band/artist every issue? Like "Getting To Know..." or something.

So, thus far the ideas I'm liking are:

"Getting To Know..." - Profile of a band; history et al, as they release a new album.
"Movements" - I need a better title, natch, but a spotlight on genres/eras in music through the ages - a different scene each issue.
"Random Feature" - I'll leave something open to the hacks to suggest each issue.
Album reviews - duh.
Single reviews - see above.
Live reviews - " ".
Local scene - Probably reviews of gigs and demo tapes plus interviews.

Any other thoughts?
Old 04.29.2007, 03:18 PM   #15
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
Yeah! Good stuff - maybe like every issue a focus on another movement in music. So shoegaze one week, new weird America the next, golden-age hip-hop the week after, krautrock... and so on? Like a continuing feature?

sure, but you could keep people coming back for more when you do "chapters" on each issue, so that interested readers come back to find out what happened. i guess your editor would figure this out?

many XIX century novels were published in serial form in newspapers. garcia marquez's "story of a shipwreck" sold out newspaper editions in colombia for weeks i believe (he was still a newspaper reporter). that's what i was going for.
Old 04.29.2007, 07:40 PM   #16
Jt
children of satan

So the development of one scene over several issues?
Old 04.29.2007, 08:59 PM   #17
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
So the development of one scene over several issues?

yeah one scene/band/movement over several issues. i think that would give you the chance to write in depth and have magazine-quality articles which would be very interesting. plus you could have some great clips if you want to get into magazine writing, show that you can handle long articles.

also, you could do interviews with bands that visit your town-- even email/phone interviews in advance of shows, i'm sure a few would be interested in being featured in the campus paper in advance of their local appearances.

oh hm also (just thinking, perhaps obvious, but... ) get close to the people at the campus radio station if you have one. you could even do profiles of good djs/shows worth featuring.
Old 04.29.2007, 09:24 PM   #18
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Interview local bands, bands touring through, etc. Get peoples views on the local scene, thoughts about the future, and the past, etc...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 09:33 PM   #19
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
you should talk about scissor shock..

Just Scissor Shock.
Old 04.29.2007, 10:13 PM   #20
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought you'd be one!
Congrats

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth