Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page You guys wanna start a book club?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.17.2006, 01:47 PM   #61
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
i wanted to read stephen kings new book.
like exploding cell phones or something.
Old 05.17.2006, 02:13 PM   #62
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Insofar as it's possible, to appreciate King, one must take an objective look at his technical approach.

Yes, the plots are cheesy, and the language can be colloquial and overly corny. But his prose style, his descriptive abilities, his dictional manipulation of the reader's emotions, his linguistic versatility, his uncanny ability to mine the human psyche - fucking brilliant.

His books may come across as simplistic or superficial, but that is to the unobservant eye. Pay some attention to the WAY the man writes, not WHAT he writes, and you will appreciate his abilities.

I will assert (and correctly so) that Stephen King kicks Poe's ass any day of the week.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:19 PM   #63
Ich bin gael
little trouble girl

Ich bin gael has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
My suggestion was Hunger by Knut Hamsun or something by Raymond Chandler, perhaps The Big Sleep.

I wouldn't be opposed to reading Genet, seeing as I've read Querelle de Brest and it's one of my favorite books. I have his novel Funeral Rites, but I haven't read it yet, so if anyone wants to read that I'd be game!
Ich bin gael is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:19 PM   #64
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Insofar as it's possible, to appreciate King, one must take an objective look at his technical approach.

Yes, the plots are cheesy, and the language can be colloquial and overly corny. But his prose style, his descriptive abilities, his dictional manipulation of the reader's emotions, his linguistic versatility, his uncanny ability to mine the human psyche - fucking brilliant.

His books may come across as simplistic or superficial, but that is to the unobservant eye. Pay some attention to the WAY the man writes, not WHAT he writes, and you will appreciate his abilities.

I will assert (and correctly so) that Stephen King kicks Poe's ass any day of the week.

Yep, and I only hate Bob Seger because I haven't heard any "deep cuts!"
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:28 PM   #65
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
So, re: getting this idea going, are we all voting that noumenal be general leader/ instigator type? Having votes on the first book? Or are we going waffle around talking arse for a few more pages? I'm happier with the latter, but the former is probably more productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:28 PM   #66
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yep, and I only hate Bob Seger because I haven't heard any "deep cuts!"

Look Peaches, you can love or hate Stephen King, but you can't deny that he knows how to write.

I'm not a fan of Joe Satriani, but I won't deny that the guy can play his gee-tar.

(I just had to say that.)
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:35 PM   #67
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Look Peaches, you can love or hate Stephen King, but you can't deny that he knows how to write.

I'm not a fan of Joe Satriani, but I won't deny that the guy can play his gee-tar.

(I just had to say that.)

this makes me think of the wasted talents of circus freaks and the pointless energy spent on breaking guiness-book records: most pies eaten by a human. etc.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:36 PM   #68
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Joe Satriani would be way cooler with a parasitic twin coming out of his chest.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 03:14 PM   #69
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
You guys should come to Baltimore and visit Poe's grave and then puke when you realize yr in Baltimore
Old 05.17.2006, 03:17 PM   #70
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
You guys should come to Baltimore and visit Poe's grave and then puke when you realize yr in Baltimore
Tell that to John Waters babes

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 03:18 PM   #71
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

fuck. ive been there. i love your fucking town. i actually miss it a lot. spent a whole day looking for the grave & when i asked for poe's grave people asked me if he was a baseball player. ha ha. finally found it in that little churchyard, with the obelisk erected by -- who else!-- the wonderful french. i sat there had a smoke, poured some booze from my flask & left him a couple of cigarettes.

2 other maryland graves i want to see are f. scott's fitzgerald's (somewhere in rockville) & divine, who is buried in towson.
Old 05.17.2006, 03:29 PM   #72
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
It's ok. I'm not from there I just moved there after high school from Western Maryland. I always end up going to DC.
Old 05.17.2006, 04:02 PM   #73
lonidier
empty page

lonidier has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
It's an intriguing idea, and I'd be up for it, because I'm ordinarily reading most of the time any....

My point? If we can read books that do not for the most part exist to be conversational pieces on grassy knolls outside the university coffeeshop, I'm in.

Sounds like we're at the same school. I'm totally down with a book club. I've got my own suggestions just like everybody else, but i think it is a great idea. Lets not forget where this is spawning from. We all share a common interest in something in a little bit different than what is currently being force feed to the masses through the media machine.

Personally I say fuck the cannon. If the book I'm reading owes a great debt to some dude that died a thousand years ago, then cool, I'm sure someonme will tell me all about it usually before i even bother to ask. I'd rather read whats being produced by current writers. I personally hated A Seperate Peace. I loved Cloud Atlas. No, I don't think the two have anything in common.

That's my two cents.
lonidier is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 04:14 PM   #74
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
It's ok. I'm not from there I just moved there after high school from Western Maryland. I always end up going to DC.

why go to dc when you have the ottobar, tarantula hill (rip), and even the occasional recher show? better record stores too! meh! dc crowds have big sticks up their asses at shows-- government employees, lobbyists, & the general yuppie invasion. i know because i lived there like forever. dc is dead. baltimore is still rotting beautifully.

western maryland-- did you go to frostburg? ha!
Old 05.17.2006, 04:49 PM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonidier
... I'd rather read whats being produced by current writers...

Different strokes eh? I can't remember the last time I read something by someone who's alive, and I know I've touched on very little of the 20th Century in the last year. My last fews months, pretentiously enough, have been consumed with Epic poetry up to Dante.

It's an exciting world we live in, eh?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 04:49 PM   #76
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I'm down, if we can find some way to do it.
We should also have a thread about a general dicussion of books, because I can't find an author I should move onto.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 05:32 PM   #77
krastian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
why go to dc when you have the ottobar, tarantula hill (rip), and even the occasional recher show? better record stores too! meh! dc crowds have big sticks up their asses at shows-- government employees, lobbyists, & the general yuppie invasion. i know because i lived there like forever. dc is dead. baltimore is still rotting beautifully.

western maryland-- did you go to frostburg? ha!
Ha....somebody mentioning Frostburg on here is kind of a headfuck! I grew up right outside the city limits of Cumberland even though my mail said Cumberland. My little sister starts at Frostburg in the fall. The Ottobar is cool and so is The Recher, but it just seems that most of the shows that I like are at the Black Cat or 930 Club. No question about the record stores though that's for sure.
Old 05.17.2006, 05:52 PM   #78
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
OK, I'll assume the role of organizer, if that's fine with everyone. If not, just post and say so.

Like I said earlier, polls will have to be of the PM variety. Rules will change depending on the book and how long it is, difficulty, etc. I say ONE thread for every time we meet to discuss, plus a chat room not on the SY forum. Yahoo would work fine. Chris isn't going to make a SY chat here, especially for this.

PM me if you want to join. Let's give it 48 hours for people to do it. By saying you're in, you have no obligation. I mean, if we choose a book that you don't want to read, just don't do it. I'll keep this thead bumped.

About choosing books: If each person is allowed to nominate one book, then when we vote, each book will recieve one vote. SO, when you PM me to join, list three authors that you'd like to read. I will then make a master list of suitable books from all of the authors suggested. Then when it comes time to pick a book, I'll choose a small sample of books from this list and we will vote on this small sample. I choose the sample at random but will make sure it has variety.

Does this sound like a good idea? If not, let me know. Otherwise send me a PM. Or go fuck yourself. One of those three things.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 06:06 PM   #79
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Does this sound like a good idea? If not, let me know. Otherwise send me a PM. Or go fuck yourself. One of those three things.

ha ha. good man. i'll send you a PM in support. no crap books though, or im quittin'.
Old 05.17.2006, 06:08 PM   #80
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
seems complicated, but since your doing it and not me.
im PMn now

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth