Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page GLENN KOTCHE/NELS CLINE @ the pabst on July 29th
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.31.2006, 02:38 PM   #1
WHOREOHSCOPE
children of satan

WHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's asses
Prior to going see this show on saturday, I went to Interstate Music all the way across down by transit/ walking a mile or so to meet Glenn. We talked for a few minutes about Jim O' Rourke , the Loose Fur Sleeve, Sonic Youth- he signed my Loose Fur sleeve and told me about the show. Nels would do a set at 8 and he would come on to do his own set at 9 , and after two seperate sets they would come on and do an encore together. Glen also mentioned they were actually thinking of doing a sonic youth song(when I brought up Jim/ seeing Sonic Youth next week.) They in fact did and covered "Karen Koltrane". WHICH WAS A GREAT VERSION of the song, not the same as Sonic Youth's but it was a really great instrumental version. Beside this point the sets were great, Nels did improv with loops and noise and all kinds of stuff-- Glenn performed songs from his new album and when they came together they did Karen Koltrane and one of Nels's own songs. Before-during-after the show I met two cool college kids one a freshman girl and one a junior guy, talked about music/politics.. etc- who when they met me were surprised I was only 15... apparently I look older than I am but... after the show we waited in the lobby and met Nels+Glenn-- they signed a bus schedule I grabbed on the way to the pabst to guarentee I'd make it home before buses stopped running -- the lobby was really chill and calm-- which was nice and we stayed long to talk to glenn because he had so many people talking to him and we didn't want to interrupt. Lights were being turned off- we finally talk for just a bit..(Glenn signs stuff for the two I was with and we all chat) He asks me " Did we suck?" recalling a joke I made at interstate music when it came up they would probably impro, I reacted to that " That should be fun"--"I hope"(him)--- "right, unless you guys suck..."(sarcasm)-- And so we left- Nick and Jenna (2 I met) gave me a ride to catch my second bus(why I was able to stay after the show in the lobby) which was really nice of them....:-)

Ps... It was pretty cool, hopefully the sonic show is just as chill afterward if they venture out into the lobby+++I have way more to say about that day/night but I have no time to right now because I am in Madison on my uncle's computer(my computer is broken at home and I realized this chance to share some info about the show and cover of "karen Koltrane")...the pabst theater is beautiful... and I was front and center for the show .
WHOREOHSCOPE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 03:32 PM   #2
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOREOHSCOPE
Prior to going see this show on saturday, I went to Interstate Music all the way across down by transit/ walking a mile or so to meet Glenn. We talked for a few minutes about Jim O' Rourke , the Loose Fur Sleeve, Sonic Youth- he signed my Loose Fur sleeve and told me about the show. Nels would do a set at 8 and he would come on to do his own set at 9 , and after two seperate sets they would come on and do an encore together. Glen also mentioned they were actually thinking of doing a sonic youth song(when I brought up Jim/ seeing Sonic Youth next week.) They in fact did and covered "Karen Koltrane". WHICH WAS A GREAT VERSION of the song, not the same as Sonic Youth's but it was a really great instrumental version. Beside this point the sets were great, Nels did improv with loops and noise and all kinds of stuff-- Glenn performed songs from his new album and when they came together they did Karen Koltrane and one of Nels's own songs. Before-during-after the show I met two cool college kids one a freshman girl and one a junior guy, talked about music/politics.. etc- who when they met me were surprised I was only 15... apparently I look older than I am but... after the show we waited in the lobby and met Nels+Glenn-- they signed a bus schedule I grabbed on the way to the pabst to guarentee I'd make it home before buses stopped running -- the lobby was really chill and calm-- which was nice and we stayed long to talk to glenn because he had so many people talking to him and we didn't want to interrupt. Lights were being turned off- we finally talk for just a bit..(Glenn signs stuff for the two I was with and we all chat) He asks me " Did we suck?" recalling a joke I made at interstate music when it came up they would probably impro, I reacted to that " That should be fun"--"I hope"(him)--- "right, unless you guys suck..."(sarcasm)-- And so we left- Nick and Jenna (2 I met) gave me a ride to catch my second bus(why I was able to stay after the show in the lobby) which was really nice of them....:-)

Ps... It was pretty cool, hopefully the sonic show is just as chill afterward if they venture out into the lobby+++I have way more to say about that day/night but I have no time to right now because I am in Madison on my uncle's computer(my computer is broken at home and I realized this chance to share some info about the show and cover of "karen Koltrane")...the pabst theater is beautiful... and I was front and center for the show .

Hey, awesome review. Karen Koltrane!!! That sounds excellent.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 03:46 PM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
sweet!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 04:34 PM   #4
darthblav
little trouble girl

darthblav ain't too shabby
i was at the same show! it was amazing. the karen koltrane version was really cool because glenn was playing the vocal melody on his xylophone/drum kit. i saw glenn do a set at the cactus club a few years ago which was more experiemental. this set was a little rocky but still very cool. nels was just amazing with his small arsenal of guitars and pedals. another crazy thing was those crickets that glenn used during the monkey chant. one more unique thing that i probably won't ever see again was that glenn was sporting a muschache at the begining of the show and during the cline / kotche portion, he shaved it off on stage.

it definitely was a good warm up to sonic youth this sunday at the pabst. i am just happy the pabst is willing to support experimental shows like this. there was not a huge amount of people there, but the spirit and enthusiam was amazing from the crowd.

how was the casio event? where there many people there?
Old 08.09.2006, 07:23 AM   #5
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
i'd love hearing the karen koltrane version!!!!
recordings?
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth