Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What offends you??
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.08.2009, 04:20 AM   #121
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
Awesome!
I get stupid when I'm drunk. I think I thought I was actually making conversation.
Since you're the philosophy buff, I should ask you out of curiosity: is there anybody interesting out there right now that discusses current life, post-Nietzsche?

I'll answer for him - yes, loads of people. When you say 'life, post-Nietzsche' do you mean people who follow in Nietzsche's footsteps (in which case you want Bergson, Heidegger, Deleuze) or people who operated after Nietzsche? If you're after something easily digestible I'd go for Zizek - 'welcome to the desert of the real' is pretty easy going. If you're after reading what is my favourite work of philosophy, I'd go for JF Lyotard's Libidinal Economy. That's not so easy going. If you're after something right up to the minute, I recommend picking up Radical Philosophy or Collapse journals. There are other journals out there, but I think these are probably the most representative of where philosophy is at today. This doesn't, of course, reflect upon the quality therein. It's probably worth sitting through some Badiou - Being and Event is not necessarily that easy, but definitely worth it.

There's loads more, obviously, but no fucker ever reads 20 books just because someone on the internet told them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 04:40 AM   #122
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Then admitting and accepting when one is in err is strong and not an admission of weakness?

I don't particularly see any connection between strength/weakness of mind.. character.. wathever and the ability to recognise one's own mistakes. That is such a political and competitive type of statement to make.
Not a dig at you.
Old 09.08.2009, 10:32 AM   #123
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Awesome!
I get stupid when I'm drunk. I think I thought I was actually making conversation.
Since you're the philosophy buff, I should ask you out of curiosity: is there anybody interesting out there right now that discusses current life, post-Nietzsche?

I know you weren't asking me but I must suggest Foucault. Esp. Discipline and Punishment and History of Sexuality. But it might be helpful to start w a Foucault reader.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 11:50 AM   #124
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
I don't particularly see any connection between strength/weakness of mind.. character.. wathever and the ability to recognise one's own mistakes. That is such a political and competitive type of statement to make.
Not a dig at you.
My difficulty is that I don't consider the ability to recognize one's own mistakes as strength. I interpret strength as a term of power and, therefore, essentially competitive. In fact, I consider humility to be, in part, a recognition of one's dependency which conflicts with this "strong and independent people" talked about earlier. I suppose there is a level of strength needed for humility to overcome one's self but this is a kind of meta-attitude while "strength" is closely related to a base attitude.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 12:26 PM   #125
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I've thought about it some more and decided that I don't care enough about anything to become offended.

my most common response to "doesn't that bother you??" is "eh...not really."
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 12:38 PM   #126
Zombie Robot
expwy. to yr skull

Zombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've thought about it some more and decided that I don't care enough about anything to become offended.

^ me too! agreed...

to be offended u have to care, and generally i don't give a damn.
goes along with the whole no heart/undead/robot thing.
Old 09.08.2009, 12:56 PM   #127
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

hey robojokes, what about the time you neg repped me?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 01:02 PM   #128
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
that wasn't because I was offended. it was because I was trying to spin you up some more.

it didn't work.
Old 09.08.2009, 01:03 PM   #129
verme (prevaricator)
100%

verme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's asses
floatingslowly.
verme (prevaricator) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 01:07 PM   #130
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I'm a pretty intense person. I get really passionate about certain things/people/ideas. I think it's because I'm an Aries.

Old 09.08.2009, 01:08 PM   #131
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
floatingslowly.

I lied before about not caring. I've just been deeply wounded.

////cutcutcut///
Old 09.08.2009, 01:12 PM   #132
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I lied before about not caring. I've just been deeply wounded.

////cutcutcut///

emo kids offend me

Old 09.08.2009, 01:20 PM   #133
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

emos use their arms. I use my penis.

I cut a line down the side and bend it around to make a frownie face.

Old 09.08.2009, 01:33 PM   #134
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
So the best way to get rid of your frown is to give you a boner.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 01:41 PM   #135
verme (prevaricator)
100%

verme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's asses
he is from the time when self-cutting was cool and goth and not an "emo" stereotype.

HA HA HA! OLD PERSON!
verme (prevaricator) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 01:55 PM   #136
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
and not an "emo" stereotype.

what if I were to tell you that I've had a Weezer song written about me.

Old 09.08.2009, 02:56 PM   #137
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Glice + notyourfiend, you're amazing! I'll probably pick up Zizek and Foucault first and go from there. If you were excited about anything else, by all means, I'm all eyes. My understanding of Nietzsche is admittedly pretty weak, but from what I gather we were left with a pretty bleak reality, and I am curious to read up on where others have taken that.

edit. Completely unrelated modern philosophy is intriguing as well, I guess I've just assumed that it wouldnt be as familiar to me.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 02:59 PM   #138
Conrad
stalker

Conrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's asses
People telling me to go listen to Bikini Kill.
Old 09.08.2009, 03:02 PM   #139
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
People telling me to go listen to Bikini Kill.

really? i fucking love bikini kill. so much. they are up there with the youth that get sonic in terms of bands that have influenced me.

Edit: Now I'm listening to Thurston Hearts the Who

Old 09.08.2009, 03:03 PM   #140
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Glice + notyourfiend, you're amazing! I'll probably pick up Zizek and Foucault first and go from there. If you were excited about anything else, by all means, I'm all eyes. My understanding of Nietzsche is admittedly pretty weak, but from what I gather we were left with a pretty bleak reality, and I am curious to read up on where others have taken that.

Nihilism? I'm pretty sure Nietzsche saw to that dead horse being flogged.

Ha. I made a funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth