Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Syr 6 & Syr 8
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.27.2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
are quite great! Of course they aren´t as great as Syr1 & Syr9, but better than Syr 4 & Syr 5. Specially I was really suprised how great Syr6 was, because it has seemed almost no-one here like it. Well, Syr 6 takes its listener to depths where everyone doesn´t feel himself comfortable (specially two periods in the end can destroy someones minds).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Agree. SYR6 has always been a favourite of mine.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
Hmmm. I have 1-6. Gotta get the Merz. And 9.

How bout SYR7?
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2011, 11:50 AM   #4
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Not better than 4 or 5, man. Nor 1. Nor 2. Nor 7 or 9. But still good shit.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2011, 02:03 PM   #5
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
8 is definately one of my favorites. if not my favorite....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2011, 09:41 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
interestingly these are my two favorite SYRs, realistically the only SYRs aside from maybe 2 that I can actually enjoy listening. I generally think of the SYRs as a great pieces of art that I otherwise do not understand as I do intuitively feel the feedback solos and bridges of their stageshows. The same energy seems behind the SYRs however in different artistic directions.

Of course in the same light, I own hundreds of Grateful Dead bootlegs and yet only a single studio album, Anthem of the Sun, because I don't think the art I appreciate from the Dead is translated well in the studio compared to the stageshow.

Sonic Youth luckily can do both, and their albums are always great, however the SYRs seem a bit more experimental in the literal sense of straying away from the tactics they normally use in the studio, and not in the cliched hipster musical genre-iational sense

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2011, 11:05 PM   #7
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
interestingly these are my two favorite SYRs, realistically the only SYRs aside from maybe 2 that I can actually enjoy listening. I generally think of the SYRs as a great pieces of art that I otherwise do not understand as I do intuitively feel the feedback solos and bridges of their stageshows. The same energy seems behind the SYRs however in different artistic directions.

Of course in the same light, I own hundreds of Grateful Dead bootlegs and yet only a single studio album, Anthem of the Sun, because I don't think the art I appreciate from the Dead is translated well in the studio compared to the stageshow.

Sonic Youth luckily can do both, and their albums are always great, however the SYRs seem a bit more experimental in the literal sense of straying away from the tactics they normally use in the studio, and not in the cliched hipster musical genre-iational sense

Spot on, on most of that, but I'm "that guy" who actually thinks the Dead were better on record. I know, I'm fucked up. But the Dead station on Sirius sounds like a 24-hour low quality stoned, stumbling jam session with terrible quality and awful vox. The Dead were capable of making much better than that.

Please upload, if you can, any downloads that really showcase their live ability, because I'm tired of being the outcast. I've got cases of dead shows and none of them tough AoxomoxoA, Anthem of the Sun, Workingman's Dead, and least of all American Beauty.

But yeah- SY was totally capable of both. THey should re-release all their recorded live shows like those Pearl Jam guys.
Old 12.27.2011, 11:09 PM   #8
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I consider the SYR's to be proper albums in and of themselves, except for 1.

I think some of their SYR material represents some of the band's most incredible work.

Goodbye 20th Century, for example, though not the best SYR, is DEFINITELY a Sonic Youth album, right alongside their major-league players like ATL, if only because it's a double album and has kickass cover art and is incredible.

Just my opinion, though. But I think GB20th belongs on the official discography.
Old 12.28.2011, 04:35 AM   #9
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I consider the SYR's to be proper albums in and of themselves, except for 1.

I think some of their SYR material represents some of the band's most incredible work.

Goodbye 20th Century, for example, though not the best SYR, is DEFINITELY a Sonic Youth album, right alongside their major-league players like ATL, if only because it's a double album and has kickass cover art and is incredible.

Just my opinion, though. But I think GB20th belongs on the official discography.

As a matter of fact, Syr4 is put into "official" discography at least these sites discography (look in archives).

Maybe Syr 2, Syr 3 and Syr 7 are little better than syr6, but that´s only because there are some periods in Syr6 that are too long in my opinion.

About the Dead I have the first album, Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomoxoa, Live/Dead and In the Dark and I love them all.
Old 12.29.2011, 01:47 AM   #10
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
Well, 1-5 I have on vinyl. 6 was CD only wasn't it? It broke my vinyl collection. And I kinda took a break from going nuts on vinyl.

Ah, yep wiki regarding SYR6:

I may have contracted a touch of SY record completist syndrome. Hah. I've never been exposed to 7, but looks like it would be excellent as well. Maybe I should just get the rest of the series still available on vinyl.
Syr8 is also only cd-release...I recommend you also the great discography pages in these sites Chris has made, they´re much better than wiki-sites!
Old 12.29.2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

I have just been wondering, is it really so they just recorded that Brakhage-performance, not filmed it at all? I think it would be great to see also, but somehow it is kind of respectable, if they have released just record of it. Because we live a time, when many bands made cd-, download- dvd-versions etc. for almost every release.
Old 12.31.2011, 10:36 AM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
8 is amazing, but 6 is one of my least favs.
Old 01.07.2012, 02:36 PM   #13
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Please upload, if you can, any downloads that really showcase their live ability, because I'm tired of being the outcast.

But yeah- SY was totally capable of both. THey should re-release all their recorded live shows like those Pearl Jam guys.

go explore http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead and focus on shows ranging from the late sixties to early seventies. There are a few guides on that first page if you are looking for some hints as to where to start. I followed a few signposts and ended up here: http://www.deadlistening.com/2008/04...l-theatre.html finding it well worth my time.

Sonics are digitizing their sound archives with looks to future releases.

I've got SYR 1,2,7 & 9. Heard them all of course. Probably time to go complete.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2012, 03:05 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
go explore http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead and focus on shows ranging from the late sixties to early seventies. There are a few guides on that first page if you are looking for some hints as to where to start. I followed a few signposts and ended up here: http://www.deadlistening.com/2008/04...l-theatre.html finding it well worth my time.

Sonics are digitizing their sound archives with looks to future releases.

I've got SYR 1,2,7 & 9. Heard them all of course. Probably time to go complete.

What I will ad to this most emphatically is to go out, splurge and spend the 30 bucks to get the HD remastered "Dick's Picks" collections. Literally any one of them or all of them will do

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2012, 03:38 PM   #15
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
if money was no object, I wold definitely buy that 73 disc steamer trunk box set with every show from Europe '72 tour. always wondered what era of dead shows Lee Ranaldo attended. big difference between early 70's and late 70's
Old 01.12.2012, 05:23 AM   #16
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
What I will ad to this most emphatically is to go out, splurge and spend the 30 bucks to get the HD remastered "Dick's Picks" collections. Literally any one of them or all of them will do

i happened upon this while looking for something else:

http://butseriouslyfolks11.blogspot....-flac-320.html

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth