Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pussy Galore (Agon Shorthand Article)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.19.2009, 09:49 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
"For every measure of respect I’ve lost for “The Explosion”. I’ve retained that much and then some for Pussy Galore, particularly after going back through their early catalog and letting it rip on headphones this week. Wow. Say what you will about the posturing, the badass preening, the rich kids play-acting at phony aggression and nihilism – Pussy Galore were a straight-up killer rock and roll band for the ages. Today it’s just as common to hear a noisy garage band of Johnny-&-Jill-come-latelys dismissed as “apeing Pussy Galore” as it is to hear “apeing The Stooges” or “apeing The Scientists”. That’s got to count for something, but I think the real power lies in how amazingly this band swallowed early European and indigenous US Industrial music (Einsturzende Neubauten, Whitehouse, TG etc.) and spat it back out via a 1960s garage punk delivery system, with 3 distorted guitars amped up to unholy levels and no bass or low-end rumbling allowed. Thus they came off as the most snotty, over-the-top 1965 teenpunk band imaginable – what the ESQUIRES, RATS or HUNS might have sounded like given 20 years and a drumkit made of metal. "

Is that not the most spot on description of the band you've ver heard. The part about them taking in early industrial and pe and shooting it through pure american rock sleaze is just perfect, I mean, that's what Noise Rock would be from then on; from amrep to harry pussy to load/bulb/whatevs to sightings etc...

read the rest here; http://agonyshorthand.blogspot.com/2...d-5000-ep.html

the whole blog is great.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth