Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Hollywood Bowl.. part of your life :)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.10.2009, 07:41 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
last night at the Bowl was magic as usual. Reggaenight at the Hollywood Bowl is something mysterious to los angeles, 20,000 people dancing together in a spirit of love and togetherness.. it just doesn't happen like that. We get together to burn shit down true, occassionaly to celebrate sports victories, true.. but never to dance in the spirit of love and good vibes.

Michael Rose last night

The hollywood bowl does this every year and I always go, its a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that comes around anually, and its not to be missed!

Last year was somewhat of a let down with UB40, but Beres Hammond and Barrington Levy ripped it up, same love like this year in the crowd.

Burning Spear in 2007 was intense, playing nyabinghi drums for such a huge crowd, it was mesmerizing.

Bunny Wailer in 2006.. shit, when you hear 20,000 voices dance and sing Get Up Stand Up you know that the spirit is moving across the vibes..

even Radiohead last year (the gloaming on such a loud sound system, outdoors in the hollywood hill's canyons, the walls were bending when you breath fe real!) put on one of the greatest concerts I could ever imagine there last year.

I love the Hollywood Bowl, its as they advertise, part of your life.

anyone else?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2009, 07:52 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I've never been there.

I'm so intensely jealous right now.

...I was just thinking today how much I like the song the gloaming vs everytime thom says "gloaming" making me want to punch stuff.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2009, 08:00 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've never been there.

I'm so intensely jealous right now.

...I was just thinking today how much I like the song the gloaming vs everytime thom says "gloaming" making me want to punch stuff.

man, I practically started hallucinating it was so fucking intense when that song came on live.. fuck the haterz.. the gloaming live at the hollywood bowl is a perfect example of why I listen to radiohead. the fuck bass from the loudest outdoor sound system in los angeles was shaking the fucking whole venue (and its big mind you!) into a rhythmic pulse... the sky was stars, the full moon was rising.. it was beyond these petty descriptions...

but reggae night is perfect for an entirely different reason than radiohead was. Radiohead was good because of the sound, the atmosphere, the venue, the hype, the difficulty (actually miracle) in getting into that show..

Reggae night is all about mutual love, dancing together in positiveness, and that is something Los Angeles needs desperately. I just am always brought near to tears at the sight of it, let alone to be participating, dancing a storm until my clothes are soaked through with sweat.. but its not like at a dancehall where i am sweating for myself or because of myself.. no the bowl feels like the kind of collective sweat you get from good sex only far more spiritual considering the vibe of 20,000 people focusing on positive energy and putting asside all the bullshit for a minute...

one good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.. so brutalize me with music!

Old 08.10.2009, 08:04 PM   #4
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
did anyone play some Radiodread? I'd be disappointed if not.

there was a reggae night here a few weeks back. I didn't even bother...
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2009, 08:48 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
did anyone play some Radiodread? I'd be disappointed if not.

there was a reggae night here a few weeks back. I didn't even bother...

no, they were not connected though I did see EasyStarAllStars perform radiodread live and it was also remarkable. that album possesses some of the most diverse examples of reggae music styles that I have ever heard on any reggae compilation and the stageshow is equally impressive in its diversity and ability to recreate the album.

reggaenight at the bowl happens every year, KCRW (local station) throughs it and they invite 2 or 3 classic and top notch reggae bands to perform. Each year it is different, but equally remarkable as the previous. We wait ALL year for this gig, and even though it was last night, I am already anxious in anticipation for next year

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth