Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page disappointing bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.20.2008, 02:18 AM   #81
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Ah fuck, might as well chime in with some more thoughts:
Also, I personally think Truman's Water are amazing... what albums did you hear, PORK? Because they have a few albums of just improv shit. I think they're a really strong band though their songs blend together a bit and they always suffered from kinda crappy production. But they're really good, almost in a Trout Mask Replica-meets-Polvo kind of way. Which is ridiculous to say -- until you hear their cover of HAIR PIE.

I'm confused by the Pavement hatred though I guess I don't really mind it. They're not a mind blowing band or anything, but they are the kings of great melodies.

Also, Animal Collective? ... they're decent.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:07 AM   #82
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Ah fuck, might as well chime in with some more thoughts:
Also, I personally think Truman's Water are amazing... what albums did you hear, PORK? Because they have a few albums of just improv shit. I think they're a really strong band though their songs blend together a bit and they always suffered from kinda crappy production. But they're really good, almost in a Trout Mask Replica-meets-Polvo kind of way. Which is ridiculous to say -- until you hear their cover of HAIR PIE.

I'm confused by the Pavement hatred though I guess I don't really mind it. They're not a mind blowing band or anything, but they are the kings of great melodies.

Also, Animal Collective? ... they're decent.

I bought ''Of Thick Tum'' when it came out at the time and I was really expecting a bomb of a record, and sadly it wasn't as devastating as what I had in mind from what I had read about it. Same with ''Spasm Smash XXXOXOX OX''. The experience with both these records didn't make me want to investigate them further, both live and on record.

Similar thing, and roughly around the same time, I've had with Polvo, hence I often think of these two bands as being similar, even though they are not.

ps: I thought that this thread was about giving personal accounts of whatever disappointing experience you've had with the music of a certain band, not the sort of thread that you get on football forums where you are called a wanker if you don't support someone else's team. Geeks.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:14 AM   #83
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I bought ''Of Thick Tum'' when it came out at the time and I was really expecting a bomb of a record, and sadly it wasn't as devastating as what I had in mind from what I had read about it. Same with ''Spasm Smash XXXOXOX OX''. The experience with both these records didn't make me want to investigate them further, both live and on record.

i've got of thick tum, while it wasn't a mind blower it still had some nice tunes on it
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:15 AM   #84
sarramkrop

I'm sure.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:19 AM   #85
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
still, it never inspired me to buy more of their records
Old 05.20.2008, 04:28 AM   #86
sarramkrop

There's not many bands that I dismiss as a whole. There are many whose entire output may not always be up to the standards that I expect from them, still, if there's something by them that I like, I just like it and that's it. I never reject a band's record purely on aesthetical grounds 'cause that's boring, it's cheating and ultimately counterproductive.

I didn't write that Truman's Water are a band of no merit, I wrote that that I was disappointed with their music upon hearing it for the first time. That's a differnet thing from childish bickering.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:38 AM   #87
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Similar thing, and roughly around the same time, I've had with Polvo, hence I often think of these two bands as being similar, even though they are not.

ps: I thought that this thread was about giving personal accounts of whatever disappointing experience you've had with the music of a certain band, not the sort of thread that you get on football forums where you are called a wanker if you don't support someone else's team. Geeks.

Do you mean you 've been disappointed by Polvo's records ?

Yeah, this thread is about your disappointing experiments with music. But you know, people always want to prove their opinion is the best way to think....

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:38 AM   #88
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

who said anything about bickering?

truman's water.... i wasn't disappointed by them, but i didn't like them as much as i thought i would either. never saw them live though.
Old 05.20.2008, 04:40 AM   #89
sarramkrop

I wasn't referring to you.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:51 AM   #90
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

now you're bickering!
Old 05.20.2008, 04:52 AM   #91
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Nebula (headlining with Electric Wizard as support) at the Garage around the time of the Wizard's "Dopethrone" album. I'd heard good things about Nebula, but after 10 minutes of their dull Deputy Dawg-style boogie-riffing bollocks, I made a sharp exit to the nearest pub. Disappointing in the max, they were - at least the Wizard ruled that night.
Old 05.20.2008, 04:53 AM   #92
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
now you're bickering!

"There's only one way to sort this out.....FIIIGGGHHTTTT!"
Old 05.20.2008, 04:54 AM   #93
sarramkrop

Quote:
now you're bickering!

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 04:59 AM   #94
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

ooooh.... the silent treatment!
Old 05.20.2008, 05:05 AM   #95
sarramkrop

Quote:
ooooh.... the silent treatment!
............!!!!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 05:32 AM   #96
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
trumans water - good live and on record

i'm being good - a pale emulation of trumans water

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 07:26 AM   #97
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
i love guided by voices but they were crap when i saw them, and they played for about 2 and a half hours to boot.
I think you've got to be a pretty big fan to see them live, I've heard they suck for average fans but real die hard fans get a kick out of it.
Old 05.20.2008, 07:43 AM   #98
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Don't ask me why, but I always seem to mistake Guided By Voices with Archers of Loaf. Like I said, don't ask me why. The same thing happens with Mercury Rev and the Flaming Lips.

hahahah! archers of loaf is noise anthemic wall of searing sound rock!

guided by voices is soft baby shit!
Old 05.20.2008, 07:51 AM   #99
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
easy there Rob.

Easy there.
Old 05.20.2008, 08:08 AM   #100
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
guided by voices is soft baby shit!

somebody should smack you good for saying that

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth