Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pink Floyd Picture Disc
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
I found a few Pink Floyd Picture Disc LPs on ebay and want to utilize EUR-USD exchange rate, pE http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&it em=200247222798

Then I read this:

Look at eBay, other auction sites, and some online retailers, and you will find a huge number of unusual and in many cases, visually striking Pink Floyd picture discs and coloured vinyl releases.

The majority of these command high prices, and, more importantly, most are fakes, counterfeits or bootlegs, pressed illegally, and made without the knowledge and approval of the band or their record company. The quality of some of these (even the music pressed onto the vinyl) often leaves a lot to be desired!

continued here: http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/miscel...-coloured.html

Does anybody have experience with one of these LPs? What is the sound like? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think I once heard that picture discs are poorer in sound quality compared to common vinyl LPs. That wouldn't be the problem.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 10:57 AM   #2
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, picture discs usually have more surface noise compared to normal LPs, just something you have to put up with. I really would avoid buying these picture discs, particularly with early Pink Floyd there really isn't THAT much bootleg material worth salvaging, unless you REALLY want to hear the gig, the outtake or whatever, spend your money elsewhere- the sound quality often makes it very unenjoyable.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 10:59 AM   #3
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Gulasch - this is most likely a bootleg pressing of "Piper", which looks nice but has an awful pressing quality. Bear in mind that many boots of this era have been sourced from a copy of the "original" LP, and often not a good copy at that.

Having done a quick search on the Internet, this is definitely a bootleg. Personally, I'd avoid spending your money on this one, unless of course you want to frame it and hang it on your wall.
Old 09.01.2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
OK, thanks for the answers. A bootleg is not what I was looking for ... although the frame-it-and-hang-it-on-your-wall-aspect usually is something not to be disregarded by me.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 02:01 PM   #5
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
although the frame-it-and-hang-it-on-your-wall-aspect usually is something not to be disregarded by me.

I tend to disagree, I have a strict music is for listening approach. But, fair enough dude.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth