Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Shortwave Radio
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.29.2006, 07:52 PM   #221
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
It's very petty, no question.

The strange thing about the ban is that even if there are bad feelings, things could have been done differently; I'm being reminded of Manchester's Arndale shopping centre, whose Christmas decorations always include a series of more or less life-size Santa figures from throughout history that show the development and cultural variety of the character. Perhaps the Austrian and German authorities could have adapted things in that direction.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2006, 07:59 PM   #222
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not familiar with the origins of Santa, or the history for that matter, but I seem to remember being taught that each country had their own verison of the man. For instance, in England you call him Father Christmas, and I know the Russian version quite vividly, Father Frost, though he wears blue and rides around with his daughter Snugurochka (strange, I know).

Surely there is a Austrian/German tradition too?
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2006, 08:01 PM   #223
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
They have the Russian version in Manchester - he's a favourite of ours.

From somewhere on the web: In AUSTRIA, on December 6, Heiliger Nikolaus (St. Nicholas) rewards good children with sweets, nuts and apples.

On December 24, the Christ Child brings presents and the Christmas tree for the children. The children wait until they hear a bell tinkling. Then they enter a special room where the Christmas tree is waiting all decorated with candles, ornaments and candies. The whole family sings Christmas carols and wishes each other:

FROLICHE WEIHNACHTEN!
FROHE WEIHNACHTEN!

And...

In GERMANY, children decorate their Christmas Lists with pictures and then leave them on the windowsill overnight, weighed down with a little sugar so they won't be missed by Father Christmas.

There is a flower in Germany called the Christmas Rose which blooms even in the snow and ice.

Frohes Weihnachtsfest

They come from here, in fact: http://northpole.net/world.htm

Old 11.29.2006, 08:05 PM   #224
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I have neat Christmas Card from my family in Russia with Father Frost on it. Once again, something I'll have to scan.
Old 12.04.2006, 01:45 PM   #225
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

I responsed too late to Sonicl's Secret Santa trade, but I was hoping I got your name Hip Priest, because I knew that on Decemeber 5th, the 2007 edition of Passport to World Band Radio was being released and I was going to send you that!

Either way, I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
Old 12.04.2006, 01:59 PM   #226
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Oh that's lovely. It's also a timely reminder. I'm going to order a copy too, if I can.

I'm also going to have a little search of the shortwave right now. Russia are often broadcasting around about now.

Old 12.06.2006, 07:14 PM   #227
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Strange listen last night, and I can't be too sure which station it was, though I know it was a domestic station. A DJ was taking calls from people, and they were arguing how valid and correct a compass is. The DJ was starting to get angry, and lashed out on one caller. Yelling about magnetic north, and how everyone has been tricked. It was one of those Shortwave moments where you wished you were able to record it.

Another related bizarre happening occurred today when I came home from work and checked the mail. I had a letter from Akashvani - All India Radio. This would not seem that odd, as I correspond with stations all the time, except I've never written to All India Radio, I'm not too sure I've ever even picked it up! Strange indeed. Though, the stickers they sent are neat.

Also, my next Mix Tape artwork will feature the mug of one Brother Stair, and copys of some material they sent me after I asked for it to be sent to me. WEIRD STUFF!!!!!!!!

Overcomer Ministrys main man.
Old 12.07.2006, 05:01 AM   #228
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

^ That's his trial outfit from a few years back, right? He chose to wear a loose-shouldered orange number.

He was most repentant on his broadcasts. 'Interfering with a lady' or something, if I remember right.

There are a couple of brief clips of him on my round four mixtape.

Old 12.07.2006, 02:57 PM   #229
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

I was not aware that he was arrested for anything, but I figured so considering the orange he was wearing in that photo, if he would have been arrested in New Mexico it would have been pink! Strange individual.

Where did you get clips of him talking at?
Old 12.07.2006, 03:09 PM   #230
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I got a lead that had at each end what I would call a headphone plug (you know what I mean). I plugged one end into the headphone socket on my computer, and the other end into the microphone socket of a tape recorder.

My round four mixtaoe has a very loose religious theme to it; I interspersed the tracks with various spiritual-type excerpts recorded straight off youtube and the Overcomer site.

Old 12.07.2006, 03:28 PM   #231
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Perhaps I should not have used Mr. Stair for artwork. The last tape I made is almost (almost) all folk music, and he has a very folk look to him, in my eyes. And a lot of the songs have an end days feel to them. Plus he is crazy.

Though, I'm sure they won't stop sending me stuff, the material they send is strange beyond words.
Old 12.07.2006, 03:32 PM   #232
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I've often thought of asking for material from them.

What I like about him is that he seems to be genuinely trying to present the truth, to do the right thing. I like the fact that his broadcasts aren't just a series of appeals for cash, too.

Crazy or sane, he's one of the most interesting people I've ever heard.

Old 12.07.2006, 03:42 PM   #233
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Fascinating because it is so weird. Maybe it has to do with living in United States, and actually meeting people who believe these types of things. Nebraska has its fair share of evangelical leaders, and staying far from them is generally considered a smart thing.

This is Lynch, Nebraska:

Mu uncle has a cabin near here, so when in need of something, this is the closest place to obtain food, and other necessities. However, most, if not all of the 100 or so residents of Lynch belong to an evangelical church and will stop at nothing to spread the good news to you. They've told a close friend of mine that she was going to burn in hell for her eyebrow ring and that she needed to remove it immediately. People like Brother Stair make me feel very uneasy. Uneasy, but with extreme curiosity.
Old 12.07.2006, 03:49 PM   #234
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

^ I love the locomotive mural. It looks likt the kind of town where they set comedy films about newlyweds becoming stranded on their way to their honeymoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
...However, most, if not all of the 100 or so residents of Lynch belong to an evangelical church and will stop at nothing to spread the good news to you. They've told a close friend of mine that she was going to burn in hell for her eyebrow ring and that she needed to remove it immediately. People like Brother Stair make me feel very uneasy. Uneasy, but with extreme curiosity.

People like that fascinate me. Being of a spiritual bent myself, I love to pick the bones of others' beliefs, and have mine subjected to the same test. I love it when religious people call at the door.

I think the one think I would say about Brother Stair is that when I hear his interpretation of passages fron the Bible, I may be in extreme disagreement at times but I can see where he gets his opinions from. It's an honest reading, if a (in my eyes) frequently innaccurate one.

Old 12.07.2006, 03:53 PM   #235
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

I can't be too sure that mural is still there, I don't remember seeing it when I was there a few months back. The building right next to it is the grocery store, where my friend was confronted, and around the corner is one of two bars, one of them is The Sundowner, which has terrible screwdrivers! If you're ever in Lynch....
Old 12.07.2006, 03:56 PM   #236
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Way off topic, but this is BAD NEWS!

Klinsmann withdraws candidacy as U.S. coach
Allen Hopkins

After months of speculation culminating in an intense final round of back-and-forth negotiations and erroneous reports, Juergen Klinsmann has withdrawn his name from consideration to become the next U.S. men's national team coach.

Klinsmann, in a statement sent to ESPN, said: "Sunil [Gulati] and I have concluded our discussions about the US men's national team program, and I have withdrawn my name from consideration as coach. I'm not going to go into details about our conversations. But, I certainly want to wish the next coach of the U.S. men's national team much success, and I want to, also, thank Sunil for the opportunity to exchange ideas."

Despite heavy criticism for everything from his choice of goalkeepers to his permanent California residence, Klinsmann, in his first ever head coaching job, led the German national team to a highly unexpected third-place finish in the 2006 World Cup.

Although soccer's most important and influential movers and shakers applied serious pressure on newly elected U.S. soccer president Sunil Gulati and U.S. soccer to hire Klinsmann, talks concluded late Wednesday evening without an agreement.

Klinsmann would've brought instant and unprecedented credibility to U.S. Soccer at a critical time for U.S. soccer. Although 2002 was remarkable, the reality is U.S. soccer has sandwiched one great World Cup in between two very disappointing ones in 1998 and 2006.

As a player, Klinsmann's resume and highlights would've been unlike anything ever associated with U.S. Soccer. The former German captain scored 47 goals in 108 caps for the German national team leading them to the 1990 World Cup and Euro '96 titles.

Klinsmann was twice German Footballer of the Year in 1988 and 1994. In 1995, in his first season in English soccer after his famous move to Tottenham he won the English Footballer of the Year award.

Klinsmann was a top 10 World Footballer of the Year four times and is a member of the FIFA 'Top 100' Player List.

Now it looks as if U.S. soccer will enter 2007 without a coach in place, with two matches against Denmark on Jan. 20 and arch rival Mexico on Feb. 7 already scheduled.

-------------------------------------

What a nightmare this is becoming.
Old 12.07.2006, 04:02 PM   #237
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

That would be a loss. I've always liked Klinnsman.

On the other hand, if you happen to be me (and I realise that not everyone is) then today brought good football news; it seems that Manchester City are negotiating a takeover. Rich dude, lots of cash to spend, we don't need a new stadium as we were given one, that means some new players, that means potential success.

We might be about to become officially quite good.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/6217446.stm

CIT-EH!!!

(we also have probably the best club crest in football)

Got to go. See you later.

Old 12.10.2006, 12:47 PM   #238
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Unusually, I've just heard Vatican Radio's news broadcast.

(7.20 on the 41 meter band)

Old 12.10.2006, 04:45 PM   #239
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Unusually, I've just heard Vatican Radio's news broadcast.

(7.20 on the 41 meter band)

I've been trying to pick this up; 7275 at 2:00 UTC, but it always escapes me! I think this broadcast is signaled to Central America, but normally I can pick those up. This is usually how I hear different, more far off stations, stealing them from signals sent to the Caribbean and Central America. I'm starting to think I need a stronger radio in order to pick up some stations of interest.

The other night I picked up Radiodifusion Argentina al Exterior, for the first time. Not sure how I've missed this one before. Nice music segments.
Old 12.15.2006, 11:56 PM   #240
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

As promised 100 or so times!

QSL Verifcation Card from Radio Habana Cuba, including the letter they sent along with it.

Front:

Back:

91011 12 131415 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth