Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page fucking shit.. I think I like Zeppelin now...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.19.2010, 01:58 AM   #21
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
any love for presence here? i always felt that one was pretty underrated. achilles last stand, nobody's fault but mine, and tea for one are some of my favorite zeppelin songs ever.

i agree. and those are great songs. achilles last stand is probably my favourite song by Zeppelin. No Quarter is another one
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 03:39 AM   #22
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Earlier this year the observatory at the college was having this laser Zeppelin show, so I and a few friends went. It was ok, but EXTREMELY cheesy. Regularly you'd see the symbols from IV flying around or just LED ZEPPELIN flipping up and down. There were some cool things about it too, but it felt silly when they were doing laser versions of pictures from the records, like the guy with the bundle of sticks on his back and stuff.

And in some way, the show really seemed to kind of ruin alot of the songs. In particular I think ALOT less of Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman) now. It's always been a song I've been pretty ok with. But now whenver I hear it on, I really don't want to listen to it. Just sounds really dumb to me now. During the show during that guitar lick that always comes before "living -- loving" you get the idea, there'd be all of these circles floating around, and then when they actually sing the lyrics, you'd just see these awful neon wireframe looking cowgirls doing these really lousy dances.

Now that may sound cool to someone. But it was mostly really stupid.

But yeah, Led Zeppelin rocks. Your Time Is Gonna Come is my favorite track they ever did.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 03:45 AM   #23
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Your time is going to come is a beautiful song....

Laser shows are usually cheesy. I've been to a few at Stone Mountain (ga)...nothing nearly that thematic, however.

Zep is one of those bands I tend to prefer listening to when alone, wether it be sitting back relaxing with a beer, or just driving down Riverside on my way to work...

Talk about Traveling Riverside Blues....

Old 08.19.2010, 05:27 AM   #24
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I've never liked led zep. They were one of the reasons why punk hit the scene. Punk was a backlash against that shit.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 05:36 AM   #25
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I've never liked led zep. They were one of the reasons why punk hit the scene. Punk was a backlash against that shit.

That's what they say.

But then again, Johnny Ramone claimed (I believe it was Communication Breakdown) was one of the songs that inspired him to pick up a guitar.

Keeping It Simple, SYG's own resident punk rock fact sheet.

Really, if you take the time to really break it down, there's very little difference between Led Zep and some of that early punk rock. Lotsa shock value, lotsa myth, lotsa toying around with occult-ish imagery, lot's of drugs, lots of angry parents, lots of sex, even some death...Just so happens Led Zep could play a bit better than most of those bands. So what?

Led Zep sure as fuck weren't a bunch of hippies, and they damned sure weren't Toto, either....
Old 08.19.2010, 06:52 AM   #26
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
...or yes circa tales of topographic oceans, for that matter.

i'm fairly sure that "punk" had more of a problem with that shit and genesis than they ever did with led zeppelin.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 06:56 AM   #27
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
...or yes circa tales of topographic oceans, for that matter.

i'm fairly sure that "punk" had more of a problem with that shit and genesis than they ever did with led zeppelin.

true that.
Old 08.19.2010, 07:07 AM   #28
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Haven't listened to this band in forever, keep meaning to give them another go one of these days. Don't think I've ever heard one of their albums (other than IV) all the way through, just random tracks here and there. What's the best first one to listen to?
III and Houses of the holy in my opinion.
Old 08.19.2010, 07:22 AM   #29
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I now own all their albums, but I still haven't listened to anything after Physical Graffiti. Houses of the Holy is my favourite.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 07:35 AM   #30
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

We're talking about a band, a group of guys, that sat down WANTING to write kickass tunes. A band that, like say...Sonic Youth...that didn't mind taking chances and trying different things every once in a while. They knew what it meant to be young and wreckless, they also knew when to quit and tone things down to an age appropriate level a younger audience may have screamed the equivalent of "sell-out" for. Did this happen? Maybe....Probably not like it does today. I'm convinced people (as a whole) are gradually becoming more musically illiterate by the minute.

I was young and stupid, once. Some would argue that I still am...and that's OK. There was a time to where my general outlook was basically the same as KIS'. I got a little older, I decided to give lots of music a chance I formerly would have ignored...and when I discovered LZ...like, reallllly discovered them in the way of not only listening, but also taking the time to research, I quickly realized that for far too many years I'd been missing out on something that was just as good as, if not better than, 90 percent of the stuff I'd been listening to before I gave them a chance.

This isn't to say that I think they are a band that's for everyone..no such thing (thankfully) exists. But I am saying that I certainly believe that there still has gotta be tons of people out there that might change their opinion if they'd only allow themselves to step out of their box and give something else a chance...that, within it's self, is punk rock to me. Punk rock is freedom, and freedom comes not only when one challenges everything around them...but also themselves. I learned this lesson the hard way.

What the fuck is punk rock anyways?
Old 08.19.2010, 08:31 AM   #31
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
The thing I always liked about Zep (+ I can say the same exact thing regarding the Stones) was that they seemed to be a foreign interpretation of American blues...w/ tons of twists. Figures like Jimmy Page and Keith Richards sorta took the idea of the lonely/black/american/hard drinking/front-porch-playing bluesman and turned it into a rock n roll concept. Like, "don't feel sorry for these sort of guys...praise them...fuck them...get drunk with them...etc". They gave it an "image" that was, and still is, insanely sexy and still..even to this day...being ripped off. Even Patti + J. Thunders wanted to look like Keith. He was just as much so a proto-punk rocker as any Iggy Pop or James Williamson (who himself has mentioned Keith as being an influence many times over).

I should add...just to remain what I feel to be historically accurate...that many ideas regarding the american bluesman are WRONG. Those guys were not always sad/lonely/etc...Blues was often a form of rejoicing, even in those SOMETIMES sad lyrics. But, sometimes kick-ass ideas come from being wrong/mistakes/etc.

Some might say Elvis and the like already did the same thing here in the US...but, it was still WILDLY different. I like Elvis, but once he reached a certain chapter he lost ALL street cred. He was just too difficult to take seriously...kinda like where the Stones are now ('least they still have Keith...).

I don't think the same thing ever really happened to LZ. They knew when to call it quits as a band.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ann ashtray again.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 10:25 AM   #32
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99

but if i listen to zeppelin for a long time his voice can get irritating to me... dont know why.

thats where I was at, I think having this album here is the first time I found some Zeppelin I enjoy, cuz the radio hits mixes you hear all over the place are more on the shitty side, played the fuck out at the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple

wow do we finally agree on something? maybe I shouldn't mention it, now you'll probably abandon your punk identity and reform into a Lisa Lisa fan

this is also true though, I think in a way having come out of the anarcho/crust scene I was very much anti-Zeppelin for both the punk ethos of anti stoner/glam rock era and very much anti-mainstream which in our time Zeppelin is the pinnacle of..

BUT, the Dead really changed my life years ago, and they single-handedly worked to shift my tastes and exposure towards more acceptance of differing musics..

with Hendrix, of course he was dug in England before US, it was mid-60s the only black music acceptable in mainstream US were stereotypes and even caricatures of black music/people, and in the opposite end of that spectrum, in England ANYTHING remotely black was acceptable and popular, regardless even of merit, though clearly with Hendrix it was a wise decision and a matter of good taste.

England has been a good place musically, for blues, metal, punk, reggae, quite a bit of my record collection has had major play in England.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 01:24 PM   #33
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Any recommendations?

I greatly enjoy some Zep live concerts from BEFORE they started playing Stairway to Heaven like around 68 period - Physical Graffitti was a great album but talentless parasites like diddy beat the good riffs into the ground
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 09:41 PM   #34
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
i think the 70s punx were pushing against disingenuous shit like ELP. what do i know, i wasn't there. doesn't matter.

this thread is making me want to go on a led zep bender, haha.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 10:05 PM   #35
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
i think the 70s punx were pushing against disingenuous shit like ELP. what do i know, i wasn't there. doesn't matter.

this thread is making me want to go on a led zep bender, haha.

DO IT!
Old 08.19.2010, 10:14 PM   #36
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Some might say Elvis and the like already did the same thing here in the US...but, it was still WILDLY different.

Absolutely! It's impossible to conceive of how RnR would've progressed without the British invasion. Which isn't to say it might not have been even more interesting, but it would've definitely been very different. I certainly don't think 'Rock' (as opposed to Rock n Roll) would have happened without the whole British Blues boom thing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2010, 10:20 PM   #37
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Well, it wouldn't have happened without many key elements...and the British blues boom was def. a large part of it.
Old 08.20.2010, 09:32 AM   #38
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was young and stupid, once. Some would argue that I still am...and that's OK. There was a time to where my general outlook was basically the same as KIS'. I got a little older, I decided to give lots of music a chance I formerly would have ignored...and when I discovered LZ...like, reallllly discovered them in the way of not only listening, but also taking the time to research, I quickly realized that for far too many years I'd been missing out on something that was just as good as, if not better than, 90 percent of the stuff I'd been listening to before I gave them a chance.

This isn't to say that I think they are a band that's for everyone..no such thing (thankfully) exists. But I am saying that I certainly believe that there still has gotta be tons of people out there that might change their opinion if they'd only allow themselves to step out of their box and give something else a chance...that, within it's self, is punk rock to me. Punk rock is freedom, and freedom comes not only when one challenges everything around them...but also themselves. I learned this lesson the hard way.

What the fuck is punk rock anyways?

The Led Zeppelin I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and the third side of Physical Graffiti are just great and fantastic!!!! The other material is also very enjoyable! I have never have any problems of Robert Plants voice, but I can understand that some people donīt like his voice.

I was quite "old" when I found the greatness of the Stooges (maybe 20 years old). I feel little shamed, because many of my friends have listened it much more longer. Now I think itīs great to find something new and it doesnīt matter if it is something that everybody else have known for years. I was over thirty when I bought the Traffic classic "Mr Fantasy". And I have been very glad, when I found last year John Parish!!!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2010, 10:19 AM   #39
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Man, sometimes discovering "new" music amounts to little more than looking back. I don't care if it came out in 1910 or 2010, if I've never heard it...and dig it....it's new to me.

That said, yeah, Jesus loves the Stooges. That band was a source of strength for me for a LONG time. Sometimes they still are. They were there with me, and got me through some VERY rough times. I don't know them personally, but I know their music + consider what they created to be nothing short of a friend.
Old 08.20.2010, 11:50 AM   #40
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Man, sometimes discovering "new" music amounts to little more than looking back. I don't care if it came out in 1910 or 2010, if I've never heard it...and dig it....it's new to me.

That said, yeah, Jesus loves the Stooges. That band was a source of strength for me for a LONG time. Sometimes they still are. They were there with me, and got me through some VERY rough times. I don't know them personally, but I know their music + consider what they created to be nothing short of a friend.

I think very same way. It is also same to me, in what year music has made (the oldest album I have is made by Django Reinhardt), only important thing is that it touches something inside of me. Of course the things you are living through affects in that, what music touches you. I mean in a some life situation some certain music is very important. If you would have hear it some other situation, it might havenīt reach you.

First album, Fun House and Raw Power have been and still are very important to me. These album have so much life-energy, as you said, that when I feel my strenght weaken, they give it back! I bought last year the rare-collection Gimme some skin. I think it is almost as good as those three albums, though the sound quality is quite poor.

I think also good music is like a friend to me. In my childhood there was times, when there is no-one else than a good music. Still I donīt have easy to make real friend with anybody, but Iīm glad, Iīve got so much good music!!!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth