Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Glenn Branca- So Each Person is In Charge of Himself
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.15.2009, 01:57 PM   #21
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
In terms of innovation in music, I think Cage is far ahead of Branca.

But in terms of stuff that I enjoy listening to, I prefer Branca, though I do enjoy Cage as well.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 02:21 PM   #22
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
As far as the actual music goes, they are sort of like apples and oranges to me. Now compare Branca to somebody similar, say Chatham, and you have a more fair comparison of music.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 06:38 PM   #23
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
and i think the point is missed in 4'33 that he didnt notate silence, but instead he "forced " the audience to become performers and improvisers even if they didnt know that.
im going to listn to his concerto for piano and orchestra

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 06:45 PM   #24
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
jicccccup
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 07:20 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Cage's music does absolutely nothing for me.

Nice ideas though!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 07:48 PM   #26
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Cage saw Branca as a fascist, in line with Wagner. This isn't to do with Wagner or Branca's political beliefs, but to do with the desire to hyper-organise the concert situation to the submission of the audience. Cage lived through the time when 'there can be no poetry after auschwitz' embodies precisely why Cage hates Wagner. The individual enforcing their will upon society was the artistic anathema

I had absolutely no idea that Cage felt like that about Branca but it sort of articulates my own reluctance to embrace Branca's music, which I too think has no place within an avant-garde that, as you say, after the War regarded his kind of enforcement of individual will as 'anathema'. I don't use the word 'fascist' for the sake of it, but in the case of Branca it makes absolute sense, at least within the context of how Cage was using it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 07:39 AM   #27
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
and i think the point is missed in 4'33 that he didnt notate silence, but instead he "forced " the audience to become performers and improvisers even if they didnt know that.
im going to listn to his concerto for piano and orchestra

Well, yeah, his whole point was originally to show that there is never complete silence. Even in a recording of 4'33, there are little sounds here and there, like somebody coughs, breathing, or as Cage says, even a heartbeat is there, even if you think you can't hear it.

The problem this has caused (and I guess you can't really blame Cage for this) is that a lot of people didn't get that point, and instead thought the point was that music didn't have to be what everybody thought it had to be, and it spawned a bunch of musicians who just tried to pull things out of the left field and created the "you-didn't-see-that-coming" genre.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 08:26 AM   #28
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
Branca and Cage are both great and unique composers but also artists with a personality full of super-ego mixed with a very "special" intellectual irony...so don't surprise me what he said...it's all about "Each Person is In Charge of Himself"
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth