Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Forgive me for thinking this, but...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.21.2009, 06:44 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
...I can't help but feel like Thurston is quickly becoming the most bland member of the group from a singing/songwriting perspective. IMHO his songs on The Eternal pale in comparison to Kim's and Lee's, and his voice just grates on my nerves anymore. I realize he's not in his 20s or even his 30s anymore, but he's been sounding like just another indie rock singer on the past few records, with very little range or excitement in his voice.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Old 12.21.2009, 07:12 PM   #2
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Actually, I feel EJSTNS had one of the most interesting Thurston-sung songs ever, "Androgynous Mind"...
Old 12.21.2009, 07:13 PM   #3
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
how dare you
Old 12.21.2009, 07:50 PM   #4
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
this is a sacrilegious thread. but, i tend to agree with the original post. it's not that the lyrics lack originality, e.g. no way, leaky lifeboat. it's just that there is not as much feeling in the vocal delivery. makes me want to listen to Dirty. maybe Mr. Moore is just mellowing out? Kim's vocals haven't changed that much over hte last few albums. I think she was at her most expressive/grating on Dirty and ATL.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 07:51 PM   #5
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
trees outside the academy was great.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 08:19 PM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Actually, I feel EJSTNS had one of the most interesting Thurston-sung songs ever, "Androgynous Mind"...

repped man! Easily one of my favorite SY songs of all time.
Old 12.21.2009, 08:19 PM   #7
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aim
trees outside the academy was great.

agreed. In my Top 10 of 2007.
Old 12.22.2009, 02:41 AM   #8
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
...I realize he's not in his 20s or even his 30s anymore, but he's been sounding like just another indie rock singer on the past few records, with very little range or excitement in his voice.

it's true he's not in his 20s or 30s , he's more in his 50s so that "youth energy" from the past it's more settle down in these days.
it's not just the less ( or not ) excitement in his voice, i think is also on his guitar...at least with S.Y...maybe is the normal process of getting old.
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
...I can't help but feel like Thurston is quickly becoming the most bland member of the group from a singing/songwriting perspective. IMHO his songs on The Eternal pale in comparison to Kim's and Lee's, and his voice just grates on my nerves anymore. I realize he's not in his 20s or even his 30s anymore, but he's been sounding like just another indie rock singer on the past few records, with very little range or excitement in his voice.

I generally really like T Moore's contributions to SY, but I totally agree that his songs on The Eternal were the weakest tracks on the album. Actually I was surprised with just how fucking good I thought Kim's songs were on the record.

Also, Androgynous Mind is fucking awesome.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2009, 09:54 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston's not a bad or uninteresting songwriter in the least, but some of his more traditional "Thurston rocker" stuff has never been that interesting. Sassy vocals over a boring riff, then singing same notes as the guitar is playing. This stuff is most prevalent on dirty/jet set and his first solo album, though. I usually dig 'em, really, but it's certainly not what I listen to SY for.

I love Junkie's Promise, which I think mixes his sassier rock stuff with something that's more interesting.

Anyway, re: the Eternal, I think NO WAY, for example, rules a lot. Though it's pretty much just the same shit he always does, there's something about that song.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2009, 10:01 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I actually noticed that, less so on Rather Ripped, but flagrantly obvious on this last album.. personally, I think that Sonic Nurse was such an explosive and creative record that it drained them.. the sonic nurse and following Daydream Nation tours were some of the most magical moments in Sonic Youth, honestly, how could they come back from that? If they weren't as resilient and honest as the Grateful Dead they would have died.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 03:14 AM   #12
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Thurston's not a bad or uninteresting songwriter in the least, but some of his more traditional "Thurston rocker" stuff has never been that interesting. Sassy vocals over a boring riff, then singing same notes as the guitar is playing. This stuff is most prevalent on dirty/jet set and his first solo album, though. I usually dig 'em, really, but it's certainly not what I listen to SY for.

I love Junkie's Promise, which I think mixes his sassier rock stuff with something that's more interesting.

Anyway, re: the Eternal, I think NO WAY, for example, rules a lot. Though it's pretty much just the same shit he always does, there's something about that song.

Yes, I agree. No Way is easily the best Thurston song on the album.

But-maybe I need to include a little disclaimer on the OP---I've been listening primarily to metal, punk, hardcore, and 1st wave Seattle grunge for the past month or so, so anything without super high-gain riffing, bellowed vocals, and guitar solos may sound a bit weak at first.

Good Thurston songs this decade (I haven't heard NYC Ghosts and Flowers or Trees Outside The Academy): The Empty Page, Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style, Unmade Bed, Dripping Dream, Stones (actually, didn't Lee write that? I seem to recall hearing that somewhere), Incinerate, Pink Steam, Or, Antenna, No Way.
Old 12.23.2009, 03:35 AM   #13
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
He might be exactly on par with Kim and Lee....but....I love Thunderclap!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 03:17 PM   #14
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
look out the cool people are talking to one another
Old 12.23.2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
For me, Thurston has a vocality I liken to The Beach Boys and the session singers who sang the theme song for M*A*S*H, "Suicide Is Painless". I do have penchant for American vocalists who sound almost like choir boys.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 04:49 PM   #16
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
For me, Thurston has a vocality I liken to The Beach Boys and the session singers who sang the theme song for M*A*S*H, "Suicide Is Painless". I do have penchant for American vocalists who sound almost like choir boys.

ewwwwwwwwwwwww

you like choir boys?

ghey!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 05:11 PM   #17
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
ewwwwwwwwwwwww

you like choir boys?

ghey!

Hey, I'm no catholic priest!
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 11:16 PM   #18
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
yr catholic block is showing...
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2009, 12:07 PM   #19
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
I tried to get in this frame of mind, and listen to the album, to see if I could get some of what you're talking about, and I can't.. I love his voice, I think it's really powerful, and the songs rock..

is a bit like when I gave this record to a friend and he thought it was a new band..
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I have to agree on this, some of Thurston's vocals definitely remind me of the Beach Boys (Pet Sounds era).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth