Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Cut your own vinyl records?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.22.2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
What do you guys think about this beauty?

Bored with burning CDs and ripping mp3s? Got the urge to make real records?

Machines called Dub Plates record music onto special vinyl blanks. They produce one-off records durable enough to handle repeated playing or scratching. The only hitch is the price. There are several turntable add-ons available in the $5000 to $7000 range, but the Vestax VRX-2000 is the only all-in-one solution on the market -- for a cool $10,000.

Cutting vinyl is an art - you're limited to 12 to 15 minutes per side and the source material has be be compressed to match the limited dynamic range of vinyl. Any really low frequency sounds (bass, kick drums) must be panned to the center of your stereo mix or there's a good chance they'll cause the needle to skip.

For those who don't have $10K burning a hole in their jeans, Freshly Ground Records in the UK offers a one-off cutting service. Starting at £55, they'll cut an mp3 of your song to vinyl.

http://www.fgrecords.co.uk/home.html
Old 06.22.2006, 05:08 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh

For those who don't have $10K burning a hole in their jeans, Freshly Ground Records in the UK offers a one-off cutting service. Starting at £55, they'll cut an mp3 of your song to vinyl.

I'm sorry, but anyone who pays for that is a complete idiot. That is a complete rip-off and I hope no-one here is stupid enough to be wowed into paying silly money for, what amounts to, a crappy dub plate. Don't do it kids, 'tain't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm sorry, but anyone who pays for that is a complete idiot. That is a complete rip-off and I hope no-one here is stupid enough to be wowed into paying silly money for, what amounts to, a crappy dub plate. Don't do it kids, 'tain't worth it.

I agree Glice, but you can get a one off done for £35.
Pretty cheap for Dj's that want beats or samples pressed, don't you think?
Old 06.22.2006, 05:25 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I agree Glice, but you can get a one off done for £35.
Pretty cheap for Dj's that want beats or samples pressed, don't you think?

Not when the going rate is £20, no.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.22.2006, 05:28 AM   #5
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

I suppose you ain't gonna tell me where?
Old 06.22.2006, 05:50 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
I suppose you ain't gonna tell me where?

Hehe. Unfortunately, it does look like I'm bullshitting you, yes. In the local area I know a fair few recording musicians, all of whom have told me not to pay more than £25. I've been looking into it recently, there's a couple of mates of mates would do it for £15, but I'm not really going to give out personal mobile numbers online.

But I assure you, I do know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Old 06.22.2006, 05:55 AM   #7
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
That's interesting because where I live in the states I can't find anyone to touch that sort of thing for under a few hundred bills. Then again, if I went to say chicago or NYC, the service could probably be found for less. Glice are you in the midlands or where in the UK?
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 06:05 AM   #8
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

It's not that I don't believe you. No issue on that.
I've been looking around too and been given astronomical prices.
Maybe some other boardies can come up with something better.
That £15 deal you mentioned sounds good though.
Old 06.22.2006, 06:12 AM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
That's interesting because where I live in the states I can't find anyone to touch that sort of thing for under a few hundred bills. Then again, if I went to say chicago or NYC, the service could probably be found for less. Glice are you in the midlands or where in the UK?

SouthWest. I'm surprised that £35 seems reasonable... and the fact that that company says it'll do it from mp3 makes me very dubious about the quality. I suspect it might be one of those things where I've been offered mates rates rather than full whack.

There's also a website which tells you how to 'pirate' vinyl, which works out even cheaper (pretty rubbish copies though, by all accounts). I'll see if I can find it.

Quote:
Old 06.22.2006, 06:15 AM   #10
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I wish i could find that website where you could download all the software you needed to turn your pc into a pirate radio station.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 06:18 AM   #11
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Cool, I didn't think you seemed like a Northerner...anyways, my sister goes to the UK every few months and stays in the south (Brighton,Bristol)...I was thinking maybe she could take a few demos of mine and have them pressed. Can these places be found easily, and if so how long does it take them to press, say a double LP worth of material? if you don't know thats ok, my sister is close with the Meteors, so perhaps one of the wrecking crew will have some good locations in mind.
Old 06.22.2006, 06:22 AM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Cool, I didn't think you seemed like a Northerner...anyways, my sister goes to the UK every few months and stays in the south (Brighton,Bristol)...I was thinking maybe she could take a few demos of mine and have them pressed. Can these places be found easily, and if so how long does it take them to press, say a double LP worth of material? if you don't know thats ok, my sister is close with the Meteors, so perhaps one of the wrecking crew will have some good locations in mind.

Well, I'll get in touch with the people concerned... PM me closer to the time and I'll see if I can sort something out... Looking at the various internet sites, it seems the sort of prices I'm thinking of are over in Eastern Europe.

You're mates with the Meteors? Crikey. Haven't heard that name in an age...

Quote:
Old 06.22.2006, 06:25 AM   #13
RdTv
invito al cielo

Well I'm not, my sister is and apparently the psychobilly scene there is ok. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know next time she's gonna be heading your way and what not.
Old 06.22.2006, 06:31 AM   #14
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

I just found this German vinyl cutting company.
Relative prices.

http://www.vinyl-recording.de/english/
Old 06.22.2006, 06:38 AM   #15
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
it's a pretty novel idea, but for that price, i'd rather buy a car and another few computers.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 06:49 AM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
I just found this German vinyl cutting company.
Relative prices.

http://www.vinyl-recording.de/english/

£20 their top price. I've found a couple of pressing plants that do short runs (>100) for less than a tenner. Looks like it's a shopping around deely.

Quote:
Old 06.22.2006, 08:46 AM   #17
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, way too expensive, and way too much work!
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 08:46 AM   #18
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
My bandmate has a real cutting lathe. I think I'll just leech off him.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 08:51 AM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
My bandmate has a real cutting lathe. I think I'll just leech off him.

See, that's what I'm after. I'm sure I should be able to find a cheap one somewhere...

Quote:
Old 06.22.2006, 11:47 AM   #20
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
£55
how many american dollars is that?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth