Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Maxwell's silver hammer
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
does anyone else find this song a little disturbing? don't get me wrong, i love this song, it's one of my favorites, but it's just a little strange how they sing it in such a happy cheery tone when the song is about beating people to death with a hammer. kinda creepy. George is great.

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 08:41 PM   #2
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
the beatles could put anything to a tune. it's pretty odd, but i've been listenin to this stuff for some time, it doesn't really shock me
but the song if about what they do whenever the pope is thought to be dead. they tap him on the head with a hammer and then say his name 3 times or somthin like that, to see if he's alive
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
the song doesn't shock me cause it can be expected from them cause they were so fucked up themselves i guess. it just kinda creepy when you think about it.

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Old 05.22.2006, 08:45 PM   #4
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
getting into the beatles was one of the best things that ever happend to me. i think im gonna listen to revolver
Old 05.22.2006, 08:48 PM   #5
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
does anyone else find this song a little disturbing?

No, I don't.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 08:59 PM   #6
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't it a McCartney song?

I could be wrong, I got tired of abbey road and stopped listening to it. Although I love "She's So Heavy"
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Laila
the end of the ugly

yes it is a mcCartney song...

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Old 05.22.2006, 09:09 PM   #8
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Beatles are amazing...Revolver, Abbey Road, the White Album...so many classics. And I love them all.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 10:49 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Whatever Laila is writing, I'm sure she'll love to hate this.

It's a Swiftian tongue-in-cheek picture from the cover that The Beatles wanted for their Yesterday & Today compilation album (that they were forced to put out due to contractural obligations, no doubt); it had a very limited pressing. Capitol made them change it.

I found perhaps a more precise history of the cover here:
http://www.friktech.com/btls/covers.htm
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 01:14 AM   #10
Laila
the end of the ugly

oh yeah i've seen that.

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Old 05.23.2006, 08:20 AM   #11
finding nobody
invito al cielo

i found a record store in georagia that had the original 'yesterday and today' :P
Old 05.23.2006, 10:39 AM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
burn yr beatles records !!!

haha

http://www.newsoftheodd.com/article1012.html
John Lennon Proclaims Beatles "More Popular than Jesus" (March 4, 1966)

The Evening Standard published a long, rambling interview with John Lennon in which he proclaimed that the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus." Although there was little reaction to his statement in England, Christians elsewhere embarked upon a massive campaign to destroy Beatles albums and other paraphenalia. Lennon apologized for the remark later, and the Archbishop of Boston admitted that he was probably right, but many still refused to forgive him.
In its original context, the remark was part of a rather harmless lifestyle pieceby Evening Standard reporter Maureen Cleave. She had spent the day Lennon, whom she described as "imperious, ... unpredictable, indolent, disorganised, childish, vague, charming and quick-witted." He took her on a tour of his mansion, talking about books and fame, and the gorilla suit he bought so he could drive around wearing it. When they reached the subject of religion, Lennon said, "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. ... We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first-rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

The British public took the comment as what is was: An opinion voiced by an artist known as much for his hummingbird mind as for his considerable talent. In July, however, an American teen magazine called Datebook quoted the infamous Jesus statement without reprinting the original article. It appeared as part of a cover story called "The Ten Adults You Dig/Hate the Most." The American reaction was instantaneous. Radio stations across the country, but especially in the South and in the Midwest, stopped playing Beatles records. Death threats began pouring in, directed against not only John, but the other Beatles as well. Bonfires appeared, with Beatles pictures and albums providing the fuel. Maureen Cleave tried to explain that "John was certainly not comparing the Beatles with Christ. He was simply observing that so weak was the state of Christianity that the Beatles were, to many people, better known. He was deploring, rather than approving, this," but to no avail. In Cleveland, the Reverend Thurman H. Babbs threatened to excommunicate any member of his congregation who listened to the Beatles. In the South, the Ku Klux Klan burned the Beatles in effigy and nailed Beatles albums to burning crosses. Finally, on August 11, with a scheduled American tour fast approaching, Lennon held a press conference in Chicago, at which he attempted to make amends. "I'm not saying that we're better or greater," he said, "or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. ... I wasn't saying whatever they're saying I was saying. I'm sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry."
For most people, this was enough, but not for all. The KKK tried, unsuccessfully, to stop their show in Memphis. On August 13, KLUE, a radio station in Texas, organized another Beatles bonfire. (That same night, the station was struck bylightning, which damaged their equipment and knocked the station manager unconscious. Sometimes, justice really is poetic.) And the international reaction was just beginning. Beatles albums were banned from the airwaves in Spain and Holland. The Vatican, while recognizing that the remarks were made "off-handedly and not impiously," also said that "[T]he protest the remark raised showed that some subjects must not be dealt with lightly and in a profane way, not even in the world of beatniks." In South Africa, Piet Myer of the South African Broadcasting Corporation justified his decision to bar Beatles albums by saying, "The Beatles' arrogance has passed the ultimate limit of decency. It is clowning no longer." Even years later, after the group had broken up, John Lennon's albums were still banned from South African radio, although Paul McCartney's and George Harrison's music could be broadcast.

John Lennon returned to the subject in December, when he told LOOK magazine that "I believe Jesus was right, Buddha was right, and all of those people like that are right. They're all saying the same thing--and I believe it. I believe what Jesus actually said--the basic things he laid down about love and goodness--and not what people say he said.... If Jesus being more popular means ... more control, I don't want that. I'd sooner they'd all follow us even if it's just to dance and sing for the rest of their lives. If they took more interest in what Jesus--or any of them--said, if they did that, we'd all be there with them."
Although the Beatles would remain together for 4 more years, the American tour that followed the Jesus incident would be their last.

---

that's such a great part in Imagine: John Lennon when they show the footage of the police officers preparing to provide security at a The Beatles concert...
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Laila
the end of the ugly

uh huh. i don't see any of this as necessary.

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Old 05.23.2006, 02:53 PM   #14
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
You know when George Harrison lost his virginity, John and Paul were in the room pretending to be asleep but really listening?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 03:22 PM   #15
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Edit: big fu**up. didn't know that pic would end up being so huge.
sorry folks
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 03:24 PM   #16
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
That picture should not be that big...
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 03:33 PM   #17
Laila
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
You know when George Harrison lost his virginity, John and Paul were in the room pretending to be asleep but really listening?

and your point?

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Old 05.23.2006, 03:35 PM   #18
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
and your point?

Shut up.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 04:22 PM   #19
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
If you think the original version of MSH is disturbing, try listening to Steve Martin do a cover of it. Creepy. (love Steve Martin though)

Everytime I hear this song, I think of the Charles Manson trials.

Anyway, I have a copy of the re-printed "Yesterday & Today".
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 09:31 AM   #20
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
There's a history of pop songs or nursery rhymes or kids songs that have morbid overtones. Just recite "Rock a Bye Baby" to realize how morbid that is: "...and down will come baby, cradle and all." Or, "Ring Around the Rosie" when you learn that Posies are the flower of choice to place on the casket of a loved one.

Or "Bungalow Bill" Hey, Bungalow Bill, What Did you Kill...

I think its a joke that the writer is playing on the listener. Let's see what morbid words I can get my listener to sing while humming this happy tune.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth