Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pavement Reunion?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.08.2008, 12:39 PM   #121
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I don't even like Pavement.
Old 03.08.2008, 02:06 PM   #122
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
How am I to know how awesome the original incarnation was when I never got to experience it? I've been to two reunion shows: The Pixies and Gang of Four. Both bands rocked, and I had a good time.

first of all, there's the records, second, video evidense; it's not like there's absolutely no trace to know what a band sounded and their energy, etc. like when they were originally together.

i saw a video of the pixies reunion and i'm very glad they cancelled their show here because, honestly, it made me question if i liked the pixies in the first place, the only two songs they played like they were really a band again were "monkey gone to heaven" and "gigantic". they wer embarrasing.

still, most if not all reunions are nostalgic even for people who were not around to see them in the first time, so most people are predisposed to get their mind blown by them, even if they are not all that. unless the people in the band can't move and barely remember to play their songs, then most people willingly going to a reunion show are going to get back with glowing memories of it being epoch-changing when it would be just another show in other circumstances.

Quote:
I haven't seen the reunited Mission of Burma, but based on The Obliterrati and ONOFFON, I'd say they are something more than a glorified cover band.

heard but albums and think they are very meh; then again, i'm not sure where i stand with burma.

Quote:
Why did people like me make you hate Pavement?

What kind of person am I? I'd like to know. I don't think they are the best band ever, nor do I think that everyone has to like them. My responses to Cantankerous are driven by her attitude, not her opinions.

well, you certainly make people feel like they should love pavement, i grew up with spin and all the "alternative" media telling me every month that i should love the ground stephen malkmus walked, for whatever reasons. i was dead set in not listening to them.

at least that's what you reminded me.of.

Quote:
I think Blink 182 is a god-awful band, but if some people who liked them were talking about them possibly getting back together, I wouldn't say "please God no, I hate them with every fibre of my being." That's called being a pretentious cunt.

no, that's having an opinion, that's what we do every day at the board "gee, i love this band" "fuck it, i hate them". click on most every band thread and you're bound to find someone who says they don't like a certain band, which is ok; we can't all like everything.

Quote:
Also, why does a reunited band have to be exactly the same?

definitely agreed, but at least i expect them to play it like they mean it and not just go through the motions, just do a their job for the money when you just know that once, they were so much more.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 09:41 PM   #123
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yr words not mine
you misinterpereted my words, it was a run on sentence.
Quote:
in order to please other people,
SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED, but because i worded the sentence like a dumbass
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantankerous

pavement can go ahead and reunite for all i care, but they still suck.. that's just, like, my OPINION, man. apparently i have to fucking censor myself and not be a smartass when 90% of the time i'm fucking joking anyway in order to please other people, which is something, in case you haven't noticed, that i'm not too concerned with.
Old 03.08.2008, 10:09 PM   #124
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I liked when Cantanky was going to be gone.

That was the most exciting 20 minutes of my life.
Old 03.08.2008, 10:17 PM   #125
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Yeah Diesel is online!
Old 03.08.2008, 10:18 PM   #126
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I liked when Cantanky was going to be gone.

That was the most exciting 20 minutes of my life.
really because not too long ago you were defending me pretty enthusiastically and claiming you "love cantanky"
Old 03.08.2008, 10:19 PM   #127
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

You changed. And I don't recall saying I love you. I might have said you were hot.
Old 03.08.2008, 10:20 PM   #128
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i'm pretty sure you used the word love somewhere in there.

"you changed" -- worth a laugh. i'm the same i've always been, although to my credit i've been in a bit of a bad way lately. sorry if i was a bitch or whatever.
Old 03.08.2008, 10:22 PM   #129
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Accepted. I'm just stirring after all.
Old 03.08.2008, 10:26 PM   #130
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

well i'm getting ready to go out but things have sorted themselves out so this irritable, semi-volatile version of cantankerous will take a backseat until another small disaster rolls around. i promise you that people don't just change personalities like BAM in like a week.
Old 03.08.2008, 11:19 PM   #131
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
you're all fucking idiots, how about that? It's a message bored. Get over youreslves. Scroll the page down. only reason I', saying antying is because I wanted to read about pavement/. and you're all bitchiong about cantankerous being a bitch, which she may be, but who gvies a shit. scroll the mutherfuckingpage
Old 03.09.2008, 02:49 AM   #132
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
lol at "Message Bored."
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2008, 02:54 AM   #133
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Well he does have a point, why were you guys going all crazy over cantanky.
Old 03.09.2008, 03:01 AM   #134
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Because I never call anyone out on this board and sometimes I feel like it.
Old 03.09.2008, 03:02 AM   #135
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I see, carry on.
Old 03.09.2008, 03:19 AM   #136
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
first of all, there's the records, second, video evidense; it's not like there's absolutely no trace to know what a band sounded and their energy, etc. like when they were originally together.

i saw a video of the pixies reunion and i'm very glad they cancelled their show here because, honestly, it made me question if i liked the pixies in the first place, the only two songs they played like they were really a band again were "monkey gone to heaven" and "gigantic". they wer embarrasing.

still, most if not all reunions are nostalgic even for people who were not around to see them in the first time, so most people are predisposed to get their mind blown by them, even if they are not all that. unless the people in the band can't move and barely remember to play their songs, then most people willingly going to a reunion show are going to get back with glowing memories of it being epoch-changing when it would be just another show in other circumstances.

heard but albums and think they are very meh; then again, i'm not sure where i stand with burma.

well, you certainly make people feel like they should love pavement, i grew up with spin and all the "alternative" media telling me every month that i should love the ground stephen malkmus walked, for whatever reasons. i was dead set in not listening to them.

at least that's what you reminded me.of.

no, that's having an opinion, that's what we do every day at the board "gee, i love this band" "fuck it, i hate them". click on most every band thread and you're bound to find someone who says they don't like a certain band, which is ok; we can't all like everything.

definitely agreed, but at least i expect them to play it like they mean it and not just go through the motions, just do a their job for the money when you just know that once, they were so much more.

There's a difference between not liking music and going out of your way to put it down with no constructive criticism. Which I do sometimes, but only when I feel like being a cock. Sometimes I like to call other people out for being douches. I've got a douche mentality.

No band is good enough to worship the ground that their lead singer/guitarist walks on. They are just people with talent.

On the same ground I think it is ridiculous to hate a band so much that the thought of them reuniting drives people away

I don't really care about the "alternative media" they're a bunch of dumbshits anyways. I don't really read anything they say. Because if I decide not to listen to a band because they fucking love them, I might be missing out for the wrong reasons.

You can't really judge a concert by old videos. Regardless of whether a band is reunited or not, when you see them live, it's a great experience. Who the hell cares if they aren't as great?

When I saw Go4 they had a shitload of energy, gill played like a maniac, and they were freaking amazing. I know it wasn't just knowing the songs that got me going because when I saw the Violent Femmes for example, I had fun, but it was nothing near as good as Go4. I really liked Moon and Antarctica when I was a teen, and when I saw Modest Mouse they sucked, though they did a lot of those songs. It was just boring. Go4 and the Pixies when I saw them were both great though. Although I admit it is hard to fuck up Pixies material. Frank Black can still holler really loud and crazy sounding.

I think a lot of people didn't like the Pixies reunion because they're all fat and bald now. Wtf really cares? They were pretty damn good when I saw them.

Listen to the new Burma stuff again though. It isn't as immediately grabbing as the old Burma stuff, but it has really grown on me. The song
Old 03.09.2008, 04:44 AM   #137
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
lol at "Message Bored."
Hahahaha
Old 03.09.2008, 05:30 AM   #138
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
pavement reunion ...... ok, im up for that but then again i lived through the original pavement with gary young... by the way. is this the original line up or is it the wowee zowee line up. is gary young playing drums or is it steve west. if its the former then that would be amazing!
Old 03.09.2008, 05:38 AM   #139
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Will probably be Steve West, but I get the unfortunate feeling that Bob Nastanovich won't be in it if it happened
Old 03.09.2008, 05:39 AM   #140
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Comparing Pavement to The Fall is wrong, wrong, wrong. You ought to be severely deaf even if your ears tell you otherwise, not to say that it is virtually impossible to be acceptably influenced by the The Fall, because there isn't even a point in being influenced by them, or is there? Critisice them all you like, but at least they are like no one else.

im not singling out porkys post here just a point onn the pavementfall thing. s malkmus has said many times in the past that he wanted pavement to come out like a beefheart ripoff band but they ended up sounding like the fall, he didnt mind this at all because the loved them but "no one ever gets rich by ripping off mark e smith" so yeah, pavement are fall influenced and have songs that sound like the fall.... so fucking what!!! how many bands do we wax lyrical about here that sound like the stooges or like mc5 or like television or like anything........ it doesnt matter, the end result is that pavement are great and i will attend a reunion gig but only because i have seen them 5 times before, twice pre crcr, once during crcr, once during wowee and once during corners....... ive also seen the pixies when they were a band and not a invoice paying machine! reunions are like assholes these days, everyones got then and shit may come out of them depending on the amount of fibre in the diet!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth