Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ISIS...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.11.2008, 08:00 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i think Isis, along with a handful of other bands, have been a huge reason that heavy metal music has been considered one of the most creative and artistic forces in music. for a long time (pretentious asshole snobs) music fans scoffed upon the genre, but with the records released by isis, neurosis, om, earth, boris, sunn 0))), etc... it cant be ignored the amount of brilliant shit that has come out of heavy music. on that note, isis fucking rocks, when they released celestial at the beginning of the decade i knew they were gonna be special, i also got to see them play in boston a buncha times when they started and you know even back then they were gonna blow minds. and since celestial, they have done nothing but release good to great alblums (in the absense of truth wasnt up to par but im confident their next one will be fantastic), and put on great shows.

so, whats youre favorite isis record?

me=oceanic

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 08:03 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
celestial.

they're pretty good and very consistent even though i didn't like their last album very much, i prefer neurosis and almost every other band you mentioned...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
oceanic is one of my favorite albums by isis, from ipecac, from 2002, from the decade and from all fucking times.

it's perfect and i have never gone tired of listening to it; i bought it without really knowing what to expect, just heard the name tossed around but not a note and fuck wasn't it amazing. "the beginning and the end" is also probably my favorite opening song of any album, just fucking amazing.

i love neurosis and all but they don't have such a perfect album as oceanic (they have extraordinairly great albums mostly); i don't really love mogwai but they haven't written a song as great as any of the ones in oceanic, same with tortoise; the closest an album i think has the same amount of genius and cohesiveness is spiderland or lifet yr skinny fists like antenna to heaven. isis should do a symphony.

and i though panopticon wasn't all that and though in the absense of truth was a return to form, yet still no oceanic.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 08:08 PM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
celestial.

they're pretty good and very consistent even though i didn't like their last album very much, i prefer neurosis and almost every other band you mentioned...

haha, me too, except for maybe om, but they always get talked about, and isis is somewhat forgotten in the wake of southern lord dominance. neurosis is my favorite out of those.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.11.2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
Panopticon. but i was on opiates when listening to it. so it's a bit biased.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 08:47 PM   #6
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
the red sea is my favorite release of theirs.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 09:32 PM   #7
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
oceanic is one of my favorite albums by isis, from ipecac, from 2002, from the decade and from all fucking times.

it's perfect and i have never gone tired of listening to it; i bought it without really knowing what to expect, just heard the name tossed around but not a note and fuck wasn't it amazing. "the beginning and the end" is also probably my favorite opening song of any album, just fucking amazing.

i love neurosis and all but they don't have such a perfect album as oceanic (they have extraordinairly great albums mostly); i don't really love mogwai but they haven't written a song as great as any of the ones in oceanic, same with tortoise; the closest an album i think has the same amount of genius and cohesiveness is spiderland or lifet yr skinny fists like antenna to heaven. isis should do a symphony.

and i though panopticon wasn't all that and though in the absense of truth was a return to form, yet still no oceanic.

u heard the oceanic remix album? its awesome.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.11.2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
no i haven't, i was going to buy it on vinyl when i realized it's four volumes and this was only one disc; i know justin broadrick is going to remix the whole thing in the future. definitely will listen to it in the future.
Old 03.11.2008, 10:01 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

its pretty rad, great remixes by fennesz and merzbow

listen to pink reason
Old 03.11.2008, 11:02 PM   #10
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
oceanic is a great album too, but i got into the red sea ep first back in the late 90's, so i guess that's why i like it a lot. plus, the title track is just HEAVY as fuck. people thought of them as a neurosis copy band, but i never thought of them that way when i heard their early stuff. i could tell neurosis had a big influence on them, but that's about it.

it's funny, i got into isis through hearing about how much they sound like neurosis. funny stuff considering what i said in the last paragraph.
Old 03.11.2008, 11:05 PM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
its pretty rad, great remixes by fennesz and merzbow

don't forget venetian snares, justin broadrick and oxbow.
Old 03.11.2008, 11:55 PM   #12
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Oceanic Remixes would be my fave. I much prefer Jesu or Neurosis though.
dionysusundone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 12:23 AM   #13
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
don't forget venetian snares, justin broadrick and oxbow.

the merzbow and fennesz ones are the best trust me on that. im actually listenin to narcotic story right now, i cant believe oxbow put a record like that out this late in their career.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.12.2008, 10:12 AM   #14
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
I like Isis a lot but sometimes I wish someone in that genre would come out and be a little tighter as a band. I guess I'm talking more Pelican, Isis, neurosis, baroness when I say genre. I never have noticed any stand out drumming, vocals, guitar work etc. Neurosis's vocals especially get on my nerves. I'm not the biggest Tool fan, but I always wondered what it would sound like if you added some of their musical talent to the song writing and sound of Isis.
cellscape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 11:38 AM   #15
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellscape
I like Isis a lot but sometimes I wish someone in that genre would come out and be a little tighter as a band. I guess I'm talking more Pelican, Isis, neurosis, baroness when I say genre. I never have noticed any stand out drumming, vocals, guitar work etc. Neurosis's vocals especially get on my nerves. I'm not the biggest Tool fan, but I always wondered what it would sound like if you added some of their musical talent to the song writing and sound of Isis.

i love steven von till's vocals, and if u added some tool attributes to isis then isis would sound like tool and not isis, meaning wed all hate them for trying to sound like shitty "put one over hyped awful record out every 6 years then charge shit loads of money for tickets and get richer" tool (aenima is rad tho).

listen to pink reason
Old 03.12.2008, 12:08 PM   #16
uhler
invito al cielo

i think isis doesn't need to go into any direction tool is in. isis is fine just being isis.
Old 03.12.2008, 12:44 PM   #17
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i think isis doesn't need to go into any direction tool is in. isis is fine just being isis.

isis is a million times better than tool. tool has one great alblum, isis already has like three, and theyve been around a third the the time as tool.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.12.2008, 01:37 PM   #18
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i could never get into isis. i must try harder next time.
Old 03.13.2008, 11:53 AM   #19
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
I think you guys are using my words out of context. The skill Tool has as musicians as far as bass, guitar, vocals, and especially drums is far superior to Isis. Sorry, but it is. Maybe I should have said Rush. Anyway, I wasn't saying they need to go in the direction of sounding like Tool. I just wish they were tighter and more talented as musicians. This is a general statement. I really like their music but think that it could sound even better with some growth in that department. I'm not saying they are terrible musicians nor am I in position to critique talent to any large extent.
cellscape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2008, 11:56 AM   #20
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

i don't think technical skill equals a better band, in all their limited abilities (except for the drummer who is amazing), i think they make a lot of good and a lot of technique would fuck up the band.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth