Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Advise for getting a gig...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2006, 08:52 PM   #1
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread that would list advise from one struggling muscian to the other, if any of you guys are in a band thats doing pretty good, help someone out with some advise...

I am currently trying to get a gig for me and my friend, we think what we will do is ask one of our friends to, at their next gig, let us come up and play a couple of numbers, the problem is he plays this acoustic, jammy, rock set and we play more of an ambient noise thing. So im thinking he might not let us play with him. How did you guys get your first gig and how were you accepted. Im thinking if we got a gig somewhere people will hate us.
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 10:08 PM   #2
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Something to remember about getting gigs I have learned very recently:

Keep bugging the bookers to get a show. You need to be persistent since there are so many other bands doing the same thing as you. Being polite is a good idea.

If you email clubs telling them you're interested in playing there, be simple and concise about your info. Most places don't really want to read a long detailed description about what you sound like or how you formed. Provide a link to hear some of your music if you can.

Just do your thing and don't get discouraged. Not everybody will always dig what you do and keep that in mind.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Try playing in an art gallery; my first few shows were in that sort of environment and the audiences were receptive and there was a much lower-pressure vibe about the whole thing. Galleries are still my favorite venues to play in. See if there is an art event happening in your area and see if you can provide music for such a thing. Art openings, etc. If what you do isn't rock-oriented (which it sounds like you're not), that type of environment can be really cool to play in. If you're wide open, there are a lot of cool venues to be utilized, not just clubs and bars.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
when did you play your first gig savage?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 10:25 PM   #5
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Ive always dreamed of playing in an art gallery. I live in like nowhere but maybe when I get a car I can drive into the city and see about it... That awesome that you got to play in one.
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 10:26 PM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Summer of 1992.
It was 1994 before I would face forward though. I had wicked stage fright for a long time.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 10:39 PM   #7
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, it's good to get ahold of other local musicians/bands and see if they want to put a show together or if they need someone to open for them. Good luck!
Old 04.12.2006, 06:22 AM   #8
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
if you got a CD take it into some locals store who think right about music and put peoples CDs/CD-Rs/Records/Tapes on consignment. If think you're doing something right and they think you're doing something right they might be some help.

these guys got my band the Wolf Eyes support gig:

www.soundandfury.com.au
Old 04.12.2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
i still have to do my first gig and god i wanna do it sooooo bad.
We already got a gig settled but it's not until november
Old 04.12.2006, 07:45 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I concur with: Badgering promoters - If there's a local web-zine/ message board, they should have info or be able to point you towards some. Ring up the kind of venues you want to play, badger them. Speak to bands at shows you go to, give them demos and get contacts.

My top advice is - unless you're really desparate for gigs, or you live somewhere where there isn't a load of venues, try and be a bit selective. My band plays improv, and I never want to play that to an indie crowd again. Hardcore crowds have been surprisingly fun... I think they admired the balls of playing improv to a room full of tatooed monsters.

Also, try and hawk yourselves around to local towns that are reasonable drives - promoters will often look favourably on bands who've had out of town gigs, because it shows that you can be bothered and also that your previous gigs have been off your own work rather than having mates headlining. When you do get a gig, promote the buggery out of it, myspace bulletins, e-mailing everyone on your e-mail list, get as many of your friends and family (although preferably not your parents) along as possible - You will always be likely to get more gigs if you can pull in 20+ people.

Have a bit of paper on the front desk with mailing list sign-up. Further gigs can be promoted cheaply and easily there.

Also, try and help out with flyering for the promoter - again, he/she'll look on you more favourably.

Don't be a rock star to the promoter. He's seen it all before. Be a rock star on stage by all means.

Arguably most important of all - don't let the promoter get away without paying you - if the night is a moderate success, then the promoter will have a surplus. If nothing else he should cover your petrol costs. Don't be too namby-pamby about it - at the end of the day, you are playing a gig for him, not the other way round. He is expected to take a share, but you are not playing the gig for his benefit, you are playing it, hopefully, for the music and you should be rewarded for your service (even if you're completely shite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth