Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Am I a bad person?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I got my report card in from school. Straight A's, highest GPA in the freshman class (940 people). I got nothing from my parents. No reward from the woman that is always on my back about getting Bs on assignments in a class that I have an A in. All I got was "Good job Mr #1 in freshman class" I had known I was the #1 in the class for a long time and I told my mom that but she didn't care until she saw it in writing. Anyway, I got nothing, and it isn't like we are poor. I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't know that I have friends that get $30 dollars per A or even $1000 for straight A's. And what makes it even worse, these people don't even try hard in school. They get an F and say no big deal. One of my friends is too lazy to even copy homework. I can't stand it! What is wrong with these people. Not only are their lives going to be much worse off because of their attitude and grades, parents with that kind of cash won't even motivate them. What is wrong with these people?

My question: Am I a bad person for being upset that I got nothing?

I know it is all materialistic, but I can't help being angry. I worked hard, and I want something. Something to have at the end of the year of hard work. Anything.

I usually don't get angry like this, and I am smart enough to not tell my parents how I feel about it. But I just needed to vent.
Old 06.23.2006, 08:51 PM   #2
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Advocating underage drinking? For shame, Diesel, for shame....
Old 06.23.2006, 08:53 PM   #3
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
I don't agree with using money as an incentive to get good grades. I know you are talking about it as being more of a surprise reward, but the expectation is still there. I never got paid. I don't wish that I had been paid. School is something that everyone has to get through. Just because you get good grades, it doesn't make you special. I wanted a 4.0 because I believed I worked hard throughout high school, and that would've been something to show for it. I managed to graduate with a 4.0. I'm satisfied with just that. I only wish I could've been #1 in my class. Be happy that you have that. It is its own reward. And really, by the time you get to college, you will have that money you are looking for in the form of scholarships. That's what I could have used, and I still wish I had tried just a little bit harder, just to ease the stress my family is feeling right now.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 08:54 PM   #4
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
So to answer your question, yes, you are a bad person, and I'll be sure to tell Santa personally.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 06.23.2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I don't care if I get money or not. Go out to dinner, or have my parents let me do something I don't normally get to do. Any kind of reward.

900th post....
Old 06.23.2006, 08:56 PM   #6
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's just a natural expectation to get recognised for hard work. I read somewhere that the number one reason people quit/hate their jobs is because they don't feel appreciated. Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense.

I think it's really heathy to learn how to put up with lack of recognition, though. Can't say I've perfected it, heh, but the closer you get the happier you'll be. And the more rewarding it actually becomes.

Unfortunately, not rewarding in a way that can buy CDs...

It sucks, but I look at it as "character development."
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 08:57 PM   #7
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I've gotten straight A's throughout high school too, and I really don't expect anything as a reward. I think over 25 kids in my junior class have a 4.0 or higher, so it's nothing special to me.

I don't think you're a bad person for wanting a reward for working hard. It does suck how you get nothing and some idiot who has managed to get an A gets $30+. Wanting things is typical is most everyone.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel
It does suck how you get nothing and some idiot who has managed to get an A gets $30+. Wanting things is typical is most everyone.
That guy doesn't even get A's. He is a smart guy though. I knew him throught elementary school, he is just incredibly lazy. He failed PE...
Old 06.23.2006, 09:07 PM   #9
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Really though, I know it can be frustrating (although I never realized it until I found out just how many dumbasses were getting paid for passing grades), but I mean it when I say it will pay off eventually. You are number one in your class! Be happy! That is like a free pass to college, for the most part. And who doesn't like free stuff? The first time I ever tried cookie dough ice cream, it was as a free sample, and I've never looked back.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 06.23.2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

It is hard to be happy for things that might (not) happen in the future.
Old 06.23.2006, 09:10 PM   #11
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Everything is going to be okay! I gave you rep points because your grades are so spectacular. Everyone, I demand that you all give him rep points. #1 in the class! I really do envy and respect you for that.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 06.23.2006, 09:13 PM   #12
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
Everything is going to be okay! I gave you rep points because your grades are so spectacular. Everyone, I demand that you all give him rep points. #1 in the class! I really do envy and respect you for that.
You don't know that everything is going to be okay...That is something that I can never make myself believe. I'm not getting these grades for my parents, I'm trying to ensure that I have a good future, but I don't think anything that I do will make me totally sure that everything is going to be okay.

Oh and thank you. There are actually like 10 #1's though, so don't think it is that special...
Old 06.23.2006, 09:13 PM   #13
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I must spread appreciation first. But ya, I did well in highschool but nothing like that. If anything, it shows that you'll do well in life - if you want.

I had a friend like you. He was the valedictorian and still never thought he was good enough. Don't worry about it. You're fine.
Old 06.23.2006, 09:32 PM   #14
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
You don't know that everything is going to be okay...That is something that I can never make myself believe. I'm not getting these grades for my parents, I'm trying to ensure that I have a good future, but I don't think anything that I do will make me totally sure that everything is going to be okay.

Oh and thank you. There are actually like 10 #1's though, so don't think it is that special...

I am generally a pretty pessimistic person, although a realist on a good day, but I just have to tell you to stop worrying. I didn't even seriously start thinking about college until my senior year, which is bad, but now I'm going to the school I wanted to go to so I can't complain. When you worry, especially outloud, people get headaches. And then it will create a domino effect, only in this case it will be misery. And soon everyone in the whole world will be miserable, and it will be all your fault. If you're not worrying about college and just life in general, well stop it. There is no point. Worrying never solved anything. You can think, "Oh hell, I really screwed that up," but don't dwell on it. I already realize that I am in the process of throwing away my chance at a successful future, just because I want to be a writer, or a teacher, or a writing teacher. Or a teaching writer. And everyone tells me that I'm not ambitious enough, and that I can be so much better, and make much more money doing this or that. But really I know that I could be content working in a used bookstore. I don't really care about my job. I don't care what my money comes from (although I prefer hard labor because I feel like I've earned it that way). I just try to focus on being a better person than I think I am, and being good to other people, except when I'm insulting them, and I think that will bring me more happiness than anything else could. So yeah! Good for that!

- Sebastian Bach

Old 06.23.2006, 09:33 PM   #15
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
vodka 4 grades sounds so much more exotic and motivating to moi, start early and get that tolerance down...
lmfao

Oh and Alex didn't you say yr family has like 5 Ipods or something.....sounds like you and yr family are probably pretty good to go man.....just sayin'. I'm not sure if yr parents throw you a bone or not, but I'm sure they give you what they think is best (I'm not trying to assume anything though).
Old 06.23.2006, 09:34 PM   #16
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Actually, I hated half of my teachers. Two of the other half I thought were awsome, and the 3rd liked me. I think he favored me because I was the only male that did well in that class (Spanish I).
Old 06.23.2006, 09:37 PM   #17
luxinterior
invito al cielo

For the most part, I had great teachers in high school. One I had a huge crush on that I suspect I will never get over and that will probably put me in therapy someday. But yeah, great teachers, and such.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 06.23.2006, 09:39 PM   #18
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Thanks, Lux...

...I don't really call it worrying. I am just concerned about the future. I am trying to define something that is so indefinite and I just don't really get anywhere. I do get stressed out about it, but not seriously worrying.
Old 06.23.2006, 09:42 PM   #19
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
I already realize that I am in the process of throwing away my chance at a successful future, just because I want to be a writer, or a teacher, or a writing teacher. Or a teaching writer. And everyone tells me that I'm not ambitious enough, and that I can be so much better, and make much more money doing this or that. But really I know that I could be content working in a used bookstore. I don't really care about my job. I don't care what my money comes from (although I prefer hard labor because I feel like I've earned it that way). I just try to focus on being a better person than I think I am, and being good to other people, except when I'm insulting them, and I think that will bring me more happiness than anything else could.
That's exactly where I'm at right now. Same subject, too. Money is supposed to make you happy. If you can be happy without it, you don't need it. Do what makes you happy. I would be miserable as a corporate millionaire. I'd be perfectly content as a teacher/writer just getting by. (Er...So long as my wife is happy and kids are taken care of - that'll be a priority that I don't really have yet.) Life is not as hard as it seems.
Old 06.23.2006, 09:42 PM   #20
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I had two really easy teachers. My geometry teacher would give anything an A, except for tests. I occasionally wrote several numbers and shapes on a piece of paper, titled it and handed it in as my homework and got an A. My biology teacher had to leave a couple weeks after the first semester ended and we got a long term sub. He was really easy. I accidentally turned in notes instead of the actual assignment and got an A on it.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth