Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.22.2013, 05:55 AM   #17121
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Bullhead is on my list of stuff to see, sometimes I want bleakness and misery.

A Separation was the most subtly handled and intelligent depiction of divorce I've seen in any film or TV thing ever, totally reminded me of how much it sucks being a child caught up in that type of shit, but in a good way. I'd highly recommend About Elly the other film from that director that has made it as far as being translated.

I saw this on Saturday, it was totally awesome:

Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2013, 06:20 AM   #17122
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2013, 07:22 AM   #17123
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
As my fav book of all time this bothers me. Yeah it's bleak...but...but it's so good! If you want bleak (or not) then try The Room by him.

I've read The Room. I've read all his novels. You'd have to agree, though, that they're not something you can read in any mood and I suppose I just haven't been in the right mood to read them for a little while now. I'd never criticise any of them, though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 11:12 AM   #17124
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Oh I also watched Mike Leigh's lighthearted comedy about the every day lives of a working class family in London, titled "Life is Sweet". David Thewlis is great in a minor role. His wistfully haunting performance in Leigh's "Naked" is one of my favorites of all time.

I don't know how you could interpret a film like Naked as being wistful.
Old 07.23.2013, 11:15 AM   #17125
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99

It's my favorite by Waters I think.

Seriously????

Just watched

Silverado

It's a western. It's got Kevin Costner in it. So I loved it.

I spontaneously cheered at the bit of the movie at the end of this clip
Old 07.23.2013, 11:43 AM   #17126
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
"Wistfully I raped a Manchester lass in an alley, before absconding from the North in a stolen car, lest I meet vindication at the hands of Her Majestys Constabulary.

Arriving in the capital, homeless, broke and with no prospects or employment, I wistfully spent the night sleeping rough outside the abode of an acquaintance. And what luck, for her fellow lodger appeared 'pon the ninth hour of the morn and invited my shivering person into her dining chambers.

After the wistful consumption of refreshments my female acquaintance arrived and we discussed the matter of our last engagement. As I was feeling rather wistful I then embarked on a long, bleak existential ramble, which resulted in a rather wistful public assault by a band of intransigent hooligans. Wistfully, I retreated back to my lady friends abode where I found the lodger that had so pleasantly entertained me before midday had been herself raped by an uncouth financier with a penchant for a white crystallized alkaloid substance derived from the common cocoa leaf."
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 11:44 AM   #17127
demonrail666
invito al cielo

If you don't like Pink Flamingoes then yeah, I guess you could prefer his later stuff. He's been on a downward slide for me though ever since Divine and David Lochary died.
Old 07.23.2013, 11:55 AM   #17128
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
plus he got old and quit smoking and went mainstream and... egh! his best period was by far the 70s (multiple maniacs/pink flamingos/female trouble/desperate living) and throw in polyester for the last divine film. for those achievements he should be eternally worshipped. the rest is a downward spiral. i think hairspray marked the beginning of the end. i did like cecil b. demented though. but i remember when i went to see... what's the name of it... the one about the perverts (i forget the name, with tracy ullman) i felt a little sad for him. he hasn't made a movie since but instead he took hairspray to broadway-- well, good for the broadway public, but not my thing.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 12:57 PM   #17129
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Pecker was cool, but more of an artsy thang than the bizarre stuff Waters did in the 70's
Old 07.23.2013, 01:19 PM   #17130
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Pecker actually was kind of cool, I enjoyed it. It was a more fitting roll for EddieFurlong than that tough-guy kid he was casted from T2 through American History X.. Arsty nerd seems more like him.. Then again, that was skinny, younger Eddie, now?

This guy looks like trouble,
like the kind of guy you'd arbitrarily shoot five dollars too
just to get him the fuck out of your way..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 02:53 PM   #17131
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
plus he got old and quit smoking and went mainstream and... egh! his best period was by far the 70s (multiple maniacs/pink flamingos/female trouble/desperate living) and throw in polyester for the last divine film. for those achievements he should be eternally worshipped. the rest is a downward spiral. i think hairspray marked the beginning of the end. i did like cecil b. demented though. but i remember when i went to see... what's the name of it... the one about the perverts (i forget the name, with tracy ullman) i felt a little sad for him. he hasn't made a movie since but instead he took hairspray to broadway-- well, good for the broadway public, but not my thing.

My thoughts exactly. Polyester was the last JW's film I really loved.

I think the Tracy Ullman one you're thinking of is A Dirty Shame, which I really didn't like at all.
Old 07.23.2013, 04:57 PM   #17132
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I thought Pecker was cool, but more of an artsy thang than the bizarre stuff Waters did in the 70's

pecker was cute and a nice dig on the art world, but yeah, no massive transgressions. it has some funny parts--

"full of grace!"

"no teabagging!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
My thoughts exactly. Polyester was the last JW's film I really loved.

I think the Tracy Ullman one you're thinking of is A Dirty Shame, which I really didn't like at all.

yeah
Old 07.23.2013, 05:25 PM   #17133
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

If you look at his post divine stuff as if it was made by a different director then it is good (i.e. light hearted fun) in its own right. But if you compare pre and post divine they don't hold up so well.
Old 07.23.2013, 08:25 PM   #17134
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I like John Waters' "Cecil B. Demented", its a satire on both the Hollywood community and the independent film community as well as taking digs at his younger self, and poking fun of the whole Patty Hearst/SLA situation. I think its his most fully realized film. He seems bored with movies now, which explains why he hasn't made one since "A Dirty Shame".
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 09:34 PM   #17135
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I like John Waters' "Cecil B. Demented", its a satire on both the Hollywood community and the independent film community as well as taking digs at his younger self, and poking fun of the whole Patty Hearst/SLA situation. I think its his most fully realized film. He seems bored with movies now, which explains why he hasn't made one since "A Dirty Shame".

i really like that movie, i had a good laugh and enjoy the whole thing (especially the "maryland film commission"), but it's like t&b said-- 2 different directors: one mind-blowing and the other good.
Old 07.24.2013, 08:14 AM   #17136
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's awesome how much John Waters can cross reference other movies of his in his own movies. I've listened to most of the commentary tracks. so it's no wonder I'm aware of this.

there is an R rated version of A Dirty Shame
I would not recommend this version. watch the NC-17 version
the R one is funny but boring. and not "the same" movie

--------------------------------

I've been watching old B&W sexploitation movies from the UK

Old 07.25.2013, 09:25 AM   #17137
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

FANTASTIC PLANET (la planete sauvage)

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/5

plus the dvd extras are great

i had never heard of this before but i'm glad i did.

now you can too. french-czech animation from 1973. great story, beautiful graphics, choppy motion, commie director-- stuff you rarely see on tv.
Old 07.25.2013, 10:16 AM   #17138
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have life-long friend who has seen this movie so many times. she loves to put it on and space out.
Old 07.25.2013, 10:27 AM   #17139
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I have life-long friend who has seen this movie so many times. she loves to put it on and space out.

i rarely/never buy movies but i'd probably buy this one so i could study it. the interview w/ the director clarifies how and why it was made the way it was made (elaborate graphics/simplified motion) as opposed to classic american animation (simplified graphics/good motion). plus all kinds of backstory, his work with mentally ill patients, etc.

just awesome.
Old 07.25.2013, 11:25 AM   #17140
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

10/10
757807847854855856 857 858859860867907957 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth