Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth – Smart Bar – Chicago 1985
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.26.2012, 03:50 PM   #101
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
Been waiting until I can pick this up in person at the weekend, but am really looking forward to it, especially reading the above comments - it captures possibly my favourite live period of the band.
Interested to see how it matches up to Walls Have Ears which, in the right frame of mind, is my #1 SY elpee...

back when they announced a live album from 85 coming out I had really hoped that it was going to be a legit remastered CD release of Walls.
Old 11.26.2012, 05:47 PM   #102
Gary Black
little trouble girl

Gary Black has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It's freakin awesome when the proper tape takes over in Song1. Such a great album. I'm really hoping they milk the archives and release loads of shows. One from every tour to start!!
Gary Black is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2012, 06:57 PM   #103
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Picked up the double LP today. Liking it. A lot.

EDIT: forgot to mention, the double tracked Thurston vocal on I Love Her All the Time sounds fucking cool, would be interested to know why they did that
Old 11.27.2012, 08:41 AM   #104
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Folks, the David Keenan review has arrived and it is mighty favourable:

"Massively-potent archival live set from Sonic Youth, captured straight to four track during the Bad Moon Rising>Evol era: I was a big collector of Sonic Youth live tapes back in the day and my favourite era was definitely the Evol shows in the mid-80s so this set is a spectacular unearthing, capturing the group at a key moment of transition, with Bob Bert vacating the drum stool in favour of Steve Shelley and the group moving from the strung out American gothic of Bad Moon/Death Valley into the tortuous metal drones of Evol. Buncha highlights here: the first half of the opening “Halloween” is missing from the masters so they segue from an audience recording into the master and it works great, like a slow, psychedelic zoom from crude cassette noise into hi-fi drone; Kim’s tracks are uniformly great, with particular highlights being “Brave Men Run”, “Ghost Bitch”, “Brother James”, “Secret Girl” (earliest live recording of that amazing track) and “Flower”; a reminder of what an amazing twin guitar tag team Ranaldo and Moore were, crashing arcs of feedback into each other and playing with the kind higher-mind string relativities of Verlaine and Lloyd in Television; the spectacular run-out jam on “Expressway To Your Skull” which makes explicit just how much of a debt NZ drone owes to this one momentous track; the appearance of “Kat ‘n’ Hat”, a rare/unrecorded gem; the genesis of that eerie tapes/downtuned guitar style that would dominate the live Evol sets, here sounding particularly feral. This is a timely reminder of what an amazing band Sonic Youth were, especially in their pre-Daydream incarnation, and also what a hip period the 80s were in terms of underground guitar action. Back in the day you just hadda be into Sonic Youth, even if you were an indie dud, and listening to this wild avant rock it’s pretty miraculous they were ever so popular, even if most of the kids I knew at the time went for “Starpower” or “Bubblegum” over “Marilyn Moore “ or “Expressway” and breathed a sigh of relief when they finally dropped Daydream Nation. But for me the heroic period of Sonic Youth is probably 84-87 and this fantastic release perfectly captures the revolutionary arc of the times. Been a bunch of killer archival releases this year but this one goes right to the top of the pile. Comes with a download. Highly recommended!" Đ Volcanic Tongue 2012
Old 11.27.2012, 11:26 AM   #105
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
picked up this afternoon, cant wait to hear it later
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2012, 01:31 PM   #106
psychtrailmix
empty page

psychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's asses
My wife is getting this for me for Christmas - can't wait to hear it!! I love BMR and early SY, and from what you guys are saying, this sounds incredible!
psychtrailmix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2012, 02:15 PM   #107
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
psychtrailmix, you are gonna shit your sonic pants when you hear it. so fucking awesome!
Old 11.29.2012, 02:51 PM   #108
psychtrailmix
empty page

psychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's assespsychtrailmix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
psychtrailmix, you are gonna shit your sonic pants when you hear it. so fucking awesome!

Nice! Ahhhh, Christmas morning is gonna be fun
psychtrailmix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2012, 12:02 PM   #109
another
little trouble girl

another kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's assesanother kicks all y'all's asses
found a pic of them supposedly from smart bar, doing ghost bitch:

another is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2012, 04:08 PM   #110
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Is that what it's from? I was wondering what song at the time would require an acoustic guitar...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2012, 04:57 PM   #111
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
well I'll be damned....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2012, 10:34 PM   #112
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss

amazing find!
Old 12.02.2012, 06:50 AM   #113
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Is that what it's from? I was wondering what song at the time would require an acoustic guitar...
When I heard Ghost Bitch in BMR, it really didnīt come in my mind that there is also acoustic guitar. But then I saw also some old version of it from youtube (maybe from Gila Monster Jamboree). BTW is that picture same that is in the Smart Bar vinyl-version gatefold (I havenīt seen the cd-version, so I donīt know are there same pictures as in the vinyl)?
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 07:54 AM   #114
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
man, i can't believe you SY fans didn't know about this show. it's been on youtube for years now. use to watch it after work while cold and hungry.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/vid3.html
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 08:37 AM   #115
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Holy shit, I've forgot about this one!
Been in a fucking hole the last weeks :S
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 09:37 AM   #116
noisereductions
invito al cielo

oh it is Live at Stache's! I had a feeling cuz of the weird lighting effects. Yeah I have that on DVDR.
Old 12.02.2012, 11:02 PM   #117
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
That pic is inside the sleeve of the album...Upon seeing it, I thought it would've made a good cover photo.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 10:28 AM   #118
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
That pic is inside the sleeve of the album...Upon seeing it, I thought it would've made a good cover photo.
This is just the detail thing, but I just looked today that photo in my home in the vinyl and I think itīs not exactly same. There is some guy in the back of the band in the photo in this thread and I think I didnīt see him in that vinyls photo. I canīt compare vinyl and that thread photo because I donīt have computer in home at the moment (I am now in the library).

But yes, I think also it would have been great cover also for the sake itīs from that gig and the cover photo isnīt.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2012, 05:25 PM   #119
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
This is just the detail thing, but I just looked today that photo in my home in the vinyl and I think itīs not exactly same. There is some guy in the back of the band in the photo in this thread and I think I didnīt see him in that vinyls photo. I canīt compare vinyl and that thread photo because I donīt have computer in home at the moment (I am now in the library).

But yes, I think also it would have been great cover also for the sake itīs from that gig and the cover photo isnīt.
They photoshopped him out! I just compared the pic on the last page with the lp pic...rocker dude looking on is erased from history!

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2012, 12:51 AM   #120
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
finally got it when i got back home and played the fuck out of it
listened to it 3 times the night i got it
then at least another 5 or 7 more times that week
its a fucking great sounding show
way better then what i was thinking
because i wasn't under the impression it'd be a 4 track tape with a board feed
as i haven't really heard alot of the live shows they have put out
but i think this one tops Hold That Tiger
which i mustve heard 100s and 100s of times by now
but wow!
just fucking wow!
amazing preformance!