Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon: The way I see it
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.30.2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Gordon: The way I see it

Published 30 April 2009
The musician on Yves Klein, equal pay for women and censoring junk TV

Does art make a difference?
It makes a difference to the quality of life we live. Art’s main strength is its ability to reflect what’s going on. It didn’t start the French Revolution, but it was a witness.

Should politics and art mix?
I think that art should be disruptive and make people think about their lives. Are Sonic Youth [my band] political? Well, they are, in that they offer an alternative to mainstream music.

Is your work for the many or for the few?
I don’t think it is for everybody but I don’t think art or music should be – that’s why TV was invented.

Which artist do you most admire?
I really admire Yves Klein, because he wasn’t simply an artist. He was an experimenter, he had kooky ideas and he forced Parisian society to change. I particularly like the fact that he referred to himself as “the sacred trickster”.

Which artist do you least admire?
Damien Hirst. His work is almost like Las Vegas entertainment. It also makes fun of his audience in a grotesque way; in this sense he’s mean-spirited. He doesn’t add anything to the dialogue of art or the community.

Which product, if any, would you advertise?
I really can’t think of one.

If you weren’t a musician, what would you be?
A film-maker or a dancer. I could have been a cook, a thief, or even a candlestick-maker.

If you were world leader, what would be your first law?
My first law would be to give women equal pay. I’d essentially try to let women do whatever they wanted to do.

Who would be your top advisers?
Barack and Michelle Obama. I wholly support Obama. I mean, it’s been a pretty fucking hot first 100 days in house. He inherited such a mess yet he seems like he’s having a lot of fun. He’s already opened dialogue with Iran and Cuba. It’s all pretty obvious stuff, in a way, but it takes guts to stick to the liberal agenda.

What would you censor?
First, I’d ask other people what they think should be censored. Though, if I could personally censor things, then I’d target things that caused violence to other people. But it’s hard to draw the line. I’d also censor junk TV.

Who would you banish?
I’d banish Karl Rove, Bush’s strategist, for his part in engineering Bush’s election campaign.

What are the rules that you live by?
My main rule is that I try not to make people wait for me; I don’t like to be late, I really hate that. Also, I don’t like to do anything that I don’t feel good about doing.

What would you like your legacy to be?
I guess I’d like to be remembered as a sacred trickster! I certainly don’t want to be known as the bass player of Sonic Youth.

Do you love your country?
Yes, of course, it’s the only country I have. But I’m not a big flag flyer.

Are we all doomed?
No. Doomed is such a negative word.

Sonic Youth’s 16th album, “The Eternal”, is released on 8 June by Matador Records
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Cool interview. That bit about not wanting to be remembered just as the bass player for SY makes me think about Bruce Campbell. And how he always says he doesn't want to be remembered just as the Evil Dead guy. That's gotta be tough for Kim. That'd be tough to seperate from. Good interview.
Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 10:26 PM   #3
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
My first law would be to give women equal pay. I’d essentially try to let women do whatever they wanted to do.

sexual politics...yawn
Old 04.30.2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I think hating Damien Hirst is an American thing. I'm indifferent. Do any Brits hate him?
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 11:35 PM   #5
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I think you'll find there's a difference between "hate" and "least admire".
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Kim's great. Thanks Moshe.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 03:14 AM   #7
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Moshe as usual!
Go Kim!
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 03:18 AM   #8
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I think hating Damien Hirst is an American thing. I'm indifferent. Do any Brits hate him?

Yes.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, he's a bit of a nob end (hirst), all the YBAs are, aside from maybe the chapmans
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 05:29 AM   #10
Palmer Eldritch
little trouble girl

Palmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's assesPalmer Eldritch kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody

Like much of Brit Art he seems to be a 'look at me making art' kind of artist rather than a creator of art. Also the whole 'value of art' thing he ran with for a while just seems rather gauche now.

Having said that that Skull action painting thing he's just done looks lovely.
I think Kim's on the money with the 'mean-spirited' comment. Very interesting observation.
Old 05.01.2009, 06:11 AM   #11
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka

- To me this thing is not as easy as it seems. Yes of course: In the first lane it sounds right to give men and women equal pay. But in my opinion we have to create fair rights for all human. That means that there are several natural conditioned varietes between men and women.
F.E Employers still have the right to take a free choice between a man and a women and often the choice is made to the benefit of men because they are not the one who give birth to children.

In this case women are the losers when they are treated the same way men are. So if you want to treat all human fair you have to enact laws that considers everyone the way she is.

Excuse my bad english. Just don´t get me wrong! In my opinion it´s not a matter of equal treatment... it´s about fairness and about accepting the natural differences.
killthecaliforniagirls is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 07:09 AM   #12
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
I think she was speaking in very broad terms on purpose.

I don't know. That's just how it struck me.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 07:40 AM   #13
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
chauvinism, lovely.
Old 05.01.2009, 07:58 AM   #14
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
this has nothing to do with chauvinism. it´s meant completley different. i don´t declare giving birth to children as a detriment. it´s a fact. and in term of this often women are still not treated fair. when we treat everyone the same (same rights for everyone) it will lead to unfairness. you get what i mean?
Old 05.01.2009, 08:05 AM   #15
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

and i´m talking about a distance of nine months in the life of a "woman". i think a big part of what what´s our definition of the biological gender is an utopia. it´s interesting to read what artists like genesis p-orrdige have written about this. BUT when treat people with so called dissabilities or pregnant "woman" the same way and with the same claim some of them won´t be able to handle that.
Old 05.01.2009, 08:34 AM   #16
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I think you'll find there's a difference between "hate" and "least admire".

or "hate" and "indifference"
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 08:37 AM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
What would you like your legacy to be?
I guess I’d like to be remembered as a sacred trickster! I certainly don’t want to be known as the bass player of Sonic Youth.

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 08:38 AM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthecaliforniagirls
this has nothing to do with chauvinism. it´s meant completley different. i don´t declare giving birth to children as a detriment. it´s a fact. and in term of this often women are still not treated fair. when we treat everyone the same (same rights for everyone) it will lead to unfairness. you get what i mean?

i was refering more to ranaldo necro
Old 05.01.2009, 09:24 PM   #19
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Just because you are not into sexual politics does not mean that you are
chauvinist.

Who is not respecting equality now?
Old 05.02.2009, 09:36 AM   #20
sarramkrop

I've always been in love with her. I'm in awe, now. She leaves me speechless, this new record proves that Sonic Youth would never be capable of being the way they are without her. Kim Gordon is a goddess.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth