Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.23.2012, 05:30 PM   #1401
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Hahaha, classic photo.

You might want to embrace your inner geek for a bit, by having a look at this website. Too nerdy for words but life's too short to worry about that kind of thing ...

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/...-on-penalties/

Seriously, it's a great site if you're into the more tactical side of things and certainly goes into more detail and is better informed than most of the regular newspapers, and pretty much free of their usual hyperbole.

If you're (understandably) not into wading through the whole thing, here's its rather interesting conclusion about the final:

Despite losing the tie, Bayern won the tactical battle. The fluidity of their two deep midfielders meant they kept on creating good chances, while Muller’s positioning was a continual problem and something Chelsea never responded to. Roberto Di Matteo’s side defended much better against Barcelona (even if Pep Guardiola’s side also created chances), which was probably because they played with an extra holding midfielder in that match, rather than because of the selection problems in defence tonight.

Indeed, Chelsea’s last-ditch defending was superb – David Luiz and Gary Cahill played remarkably well considering both were injury doubts, while Ashley Cole’s ability to spot danger and react to it quickly was once again highly impressive. Petr Cech also starred in goal, and while Mikel couldn’t cover the entire space in front of the defence, he did his job manfully.

Just as in the Europa League final, the FA Cup final and the German Cup final, the more reactive side emerged victorious.

Ah, thanks for that, great site, just what I needed. Bookmarked for life. I love their reading of Mueller's role. Brilliant.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2012, 06:08 PM   #1402
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's a great site. You'll no doubt come across it on there anyway in time, but you might find this a good read.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/...ix-point-lead/
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2012, 06:23 PM   #1403
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's a great site. You'll no doubt come across it on there anyway in time, but you might find this a good read.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/...ix-point-lead/

thanks. i remember that game as very frustrating, like having a 3-day case of constipation (sorta). horrid! now i understand better why.

also, finally this shit lets me spread more deserved rep. about time!

--

im gonna be looking at that site a lot during the euros.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2012, 05:45 PM   #1404
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

So Joey Barton gets a twelve match ban. Surely no club will be interested in him now. If he really was that good on the pitch he might've been able to ride it (as Cantona and Di Canio did with similar bans) but I've never seen him as anything other than a mid-table journeyman, at best. He just isn't worth the hassle.

Also, saw this on the Footballspeak site. Purely speculative, obviously, but it's their Euro 2012 pre-tournament dream team, based on the squads for the qualified teams. Some I'd agree with, some I wouldn't but an interesting choice, nonetheless. They've gone for a 4-5-1 formation, with a defensive midfielder:

GK - Joe Hart (England/Man City)
RB - Phillip Lahm (Germany/Bayern Munich)
CB - Georgio Chiellini (Italy/Juventus)
CB - Gerard Pique (Spain/Barcelona)
LB - Daniel Agger (Denmark/Liverpool)
DM - Bastian Schweinstieger (Germany/Bayern Munich)
LM - Christiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Real Madrid)
CM - Andres Iniesta (Spain/Barcelona)
CM - Xavi (Spain/Barcelona)
RM - Franck Ribery (France/Bayern Munich)
ST - Robin Van Persie (Holland/Arsenal)

I agree with the formation and haven't seen enough of some players to say either way (Chiellini and Lahm) but would definitely replace Agger with Ashley Cole. I don't know about the midfield though. Schweinsteiger seems a bit wasted in the defensive midfield role (where does he play for Bayern?) but don't know who I'd have there in his place (Busquets?). I'd still want Schweinsteiger to play. I'm just not sure where or who I'd have him replace. I'm still not sure about Ribery and Iniesta seems to have had a dip in form so I might replace him, too. Xavi and C Ronaldo pretty much pick themselves (although I'd have Ronaldo on the Right and maybe switch Ribery to the Left) and I have to agree with their choice of Van Persie. Maybe Neuer for Hart but I've no problem with either choice.

Anyway, obviously just a bit of fun, really.
Old 05.26.2012, 03:52 PM   #1405
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Norway v England

Can't really draw any conclusions from a friendly like this, although it being Hodgeson's first game in charge lent it a little more significance than usual. Despite England fielding a quite second-string side, I didn't see anything tonight to make me change my overall thoughts either way about their chances in the Euros. Very average against a pretty poor Norway. Only real points of optimism were Ashley Young and seeing Oxlade-Chamberlain for 10 minutes at the end. And I'm wondering if Phil Jones isn't better suited to midfield than he is defence.
Old 05.26.2012, 04:05 PM   #1406
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Norway v England

Can't really draw any conclusions from a friendly like this, although it being Hodgeson's first game in charge lent it a little more significance than usual. Despite England fielding a quite second-string side, I didn't see anything tonight to make me change my overall thoughts either way about their chances in the Euros. Very average against a pretty poor Norway. Only real points of optimism were Ashley Young and seeing Oxlade-Chamberlain for 10 minutes at the end. And I'm wondering if Phil Jones isn't better suited to midfield than he is defence.

Listen, the official mood of the Euro 2012 Championships is Pessimism (C)
The only conclusion we are allowed to draw from tonights game is that we have done well to not sink further into the mire, so if you dare express anything other than complete despair you will be deported at dawn.

Oxlade Chamberlain appears to be our main hope - this after a few good sub appearances for Arsenal, whilst when hes started he's been mostly poor (understandably, he is still a boy).

The best chance we have of doing anything is playing like Greece did in 2004 and shutting up shop and hoping for a miracle.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2012, 05:19 PM   #1407
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Oh, if anything I'm even more pessimistic now. The problem is the second string we put out today isn't that inferior to our likely first 11 so if they struggled, I don't see it being much different when the 'superstars' arrive. We're shit. It's that simple.

I'm with you, I want Hodgeson pumping Zorba the Greek non-stop out of the team bus stereo.
Old 05.27.2012, 04:08 AM   #1408
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
I thought leighton baines played really well, which was nice as ive never had faith in him. And carroll and young linked nicely at times too. I think this was the first time they have played together in that formation so thats promising

I thought phil jones looked really bad and nervous. Micah Richards must be going spare...
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2012, 12:43 PM   #1409
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Out of interest, have you seen anything of Joe Cole at Lille? West Ham are apparently looking at trying to sign him back. He's a legend there but seems to have struggled everywhere he's been to since. Just wondering how he did at Lille last season.

Well I haven't seen that many games.
For Lille, I seem to remember only one, during which he played 20-30 minutes.
He could be seen, he didn't act like a superstar casted with a bunch of no-goods and helped the team.
I saw other snippets, and he looked good. I didn't expect that from him. I thought he'd either collapse or cause problems (big talent, big ego, that connection).

Too young to be compared to Robert Pires when he went to Villareal, but close.

His stay might have done him good.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2012, 12:52 PM   #1410
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
GK - Joe Hart (England/Man City)
RB - Phillip Lahm (Germany/Bayern Munich)
CB - Georgio Chiellini (Italy/Juventus)
CB - Gerard Pique (Spain/Barcelona)
LB - Daniel Agger (Denmark/Liverpool)
DM - Bastian Schweinstieger (Germany/Bayern Munich)
LM - Christiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Real Madrid)
CM - Andres Iniesta (Spain/Barcelona)
CM - Xavi (Spain/Barcelona)
RM - Franck Ribery (France/Bayern Munich)
ST - Robin Van Persie (Holland/Arsenal)

That looks like Euro 2008 dream team prior to the kick off (apart from Hart and Agger). Or 2004. Since Ribéry died a year later.

They've played it too safe.
Old 05.27.2012, 01:19 PM   #1411
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
Well I haven't seen that many games.
For Lille, I seem to remember only one, during which he played 20-30 minutes.
He could be seen, he didn't act like a superstar casted with a bunch of no-goods and helped the team.
I saw other snippets, and he looked good. I didn't expect that from him. I thought he'd either collapse or cause problems (big talent, big ego, that connection).

Too young to be compared to Robert Pires when he went to Villareal, but close.

His stay might have done him good.

I've never thought of Cole as a particularly egotistical guy , not a troublemaker at all, as far as I know. (I make both claims relative to other footballers, obviously.) His big problem has always been the massive hype he received early in his career, which he's never really lived up to. He is incredibly talented and technically very good, but he goes missing in games and a lot of coaches struggle to find a place for him in their set-up. He needs the kind of free role that Messi gets without really being good enough to warrant it. I'd like to see him back at West Ham, though. It's still the only club that I think has really taken him to its heart (he came out of their Academy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
That looks like Euro 2008 dream team prior to the kick off (apart from Hart and Agger). Or 2004. Since Ribéry died a year later.

They've played it too safe.

I agree that it seems a bit out of date, but then I'd replace Agger with Ashley Cole, which is dragging things even further back into the past.

Ribery's another of those players I have to respect but can only remember seeing play really well maybe once or twice. (see also Ibrahimovic)
Old 05.27.2012, 01:33 PM   #1412
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
Micah Richards must be going spare...

There must be something about Micah Richards we don't know. Fans and pundits seem mostly united in wondering why he wasn't selected but it can't just be coincidence that neither Cappello, Mancini and now Hodgeson have shown much faith in him.
Old 05.27.2012, 03:22 PM   #1413
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
He is good friends with joey barton
Old 05.27.2012, 03:53 PM   #1414
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It'll be interesting to see who Hodgeson chooses to replace Barry. Rumours that it'll be Henderson, although he could choose another defender so the door's not completely shut on Richards yet. I'd take almost anyone over Henderson, though.
Old 05.27.2012, 04:24 PM   #1415
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

France-Iceland : 3-2

Weird defending from France; they had a sole defensive midfielder though, in a very attack-oriented 11.
From 2 down, they got to win.

Iceland had pace, Evra had none. I hope Clichy will get the nod over him.

Ribéry scored the second, his first blue goal in 3 years (he was a sub and felt concerned all the time - this showed when the camera was panning over the bench).
Two assists for Giroud, used as a sub again. Sadly he only went into the team recenttly, and no Benzéma-Giroud has been tested yet.

Ben Arfa was so so. Ménez was more than so so. Cabaye seemed good.
Valbuena did well, as a sub.

Debuchy scored, and madman Rami scored the winner.

Barry out... Henderson in wouldn't look good, his first outing was a disaster. As a frog, I'd recommand him.

I don't understand that Richards stuff either; he has pace, is impressive and delivered at least 5 assists for City, where he didn't play all games...
Old 05.27.2012, 04:50 PM   #1416
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'm wondering if it might not be a personality issue with Richards. Glenn Johnson gets picked for Right Back with a very similar style, without, imo, being anywhere near as good.

I really rate Evra but he does seem to have hit a bit of bad form towards the end of the season. Both players at their best I'd take Evra over Clichy but right now I'd agree, Clichy.
Old 05.27.2012, 04:55 PM   #1417
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

I'd take clichy every time. I was really suprised to see Evra was still part of the set up after the world cup fiasco. And even despite that i think clichy is as good in defence but better going forward
Old 05.27.2012, 08:49 PM   #1418
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Sepp Blatter's making a cunt of himself again, trying to find an alternative to the penalty shootout, forgetting that it's often the most exciting part of a game. Cock.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...shootouts.html
Old 05.29.2012, 08:59 PM   #1419
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
possible takeover at leeds, god i hope that its true and its someone decent. it will probably turn out to be more of master bates scheming but we live in hope!

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2012, 09:57 AM   #1420
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It looks like a potentially interesting move. It seems that the deal is a joint one of an American company and the Leeds Supporters Trust, coming together to oust Bates. If it comes off (and if I understand the situation correctly) I imagine it'd be good for the long term stability of Leeds but unlikely to bring in the kind of money that Chelsea's or Man City's did. And if it gets rid of Bates that has to be the main thing.
61686970 71 72737481121171571 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth