Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page 24 Songs For $220,000...What A Deal!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.05.2007, 04:18 PM   #1
5Against1
bad moon rising

5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses
She should have used iTunes. A woman in Minnesota was fined $220,000 Thursday for file sharing involving 24 songs...WTF? The law has to catch up to technology in a more efficient way, this draconian ruling isn't going to deter anyone.
Old 10.05.2007, 04:22 PM   #2
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I'll cut a bitch.
Old 10.05.2007, 04:55 PM   #3
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
How shit for her though, i mean look at the "out of print records" thread - i know its morally different, but is it legally?
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 05:37 PM   #4
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i'll bet it was all shit music too.....................
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 06:27 PM   #5
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
How shit for her though, i mean look at the "out of print records" thread - i know its morally different, but is it legally?

As far as that thread goes, yes. I very much doubt a small independent label would be willing or have the resources to sue someone for downloading a OOP edition of 100 (or 1,000 or 10,000) record. Very little of what's posted on there comes from corporate monster labels, and even if it is it probably isn't likely to see the light of day again and no one will ever give a rat's posterior.
I think people should definitely respect the owner of the work's wishes if they don't want it shared, though.
Old 10.05.2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
The news reports here said something about 17,000 songs.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2007, 07:27 PM   #7
5Against1
bad moon rising

5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The news reports here said something about 17,000 songs.
The labels only acted on 24 songs though.
Old 10.05.2007, 09:30 PM   #8
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
As far as that thread goes, yes. I very much doubt a small independent label would be willing or have the resources to sue someone for downloading a OOP edition of 100 (or 1,000 or 10,000) record. Very little of what's posted on there comes from corporate monster labels, and even if it is it probably isn't likely to see the light of day again and no one will ever give a rat's posterior.
I think people should definitely respect the owner of the work's wishes if they don't want it shared, though.

i myself don't download music, but i am however currently uploading some very hard to get syd barrett era pink floyd......... link anyone
Old 10.06.2007, 08:03 AM   #9
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, it definately makes you think though, I download quite a bit of stuff so i do worry about it, but then again what are the chances of them actually prosecuting you?

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2007, 08:12 AM   #10
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
did she charge for folk downloadeing them?????? you can easily get caught by doing that. also if you upload kanye west or eminem or mcshit and the mcshitters up, you have more chance of getting caught then upping a double leopards rare white label.........
Old 10.07.2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Amnesiac3240
empty page

Amnesiac3240 is a jewel in the roughAmnesiac3240 is a jewel in the roughAmnesiac3240 is a jewel in the rough
"Thomas, an employee of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, an Indian tribe, was ordered to pay a 9,250-dollar fine for each of 24 shared songs cited in the case, including Godsmack's "Spiral," Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" and Sara McLachlan's "Building a Mystery."
It could have been a lot worse.
The fine could have reached 150,000 dollars a song if the jury had found "willful" copyright infringement.
Had the record companies sued her for all 1,702 songs found in the online folder the fine could have run in the millions."
Amnesiac3240 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2007, 02:26 PM   #12
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I agree. Man, this sucks big time.

How much fuckin money do record companies want to make...I just don't buy the idea that they are loosing loads of money due to illegal downloads.
The amount of money the record companies and the artists make is totally disgusting, why should they make so much money from just putting out some music...

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2007, 05:47 PM   #13
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Usher
Yeah, I agree. Man, this sucks big time.

How much fuckin money do record companies want to make...I just don't buy the idea that they are loosing loads of money due to illegal downloads.
The amount of money the record companies and the artists make is totally disgusting, why should they make so much money from just putting out some music...

the artists make fuck all from the records, when i was in the industry about 18 cents in each record went to the artist which is very little when the average is $30. touring is where they make the money....
Old 10.07.2007, 08:53 PM   #14
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
We're all safe. The record companies only care about the most popular 15% of music. They only are trying to get people that download popular shit like Nickelback and other such major label puppets.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2007, 09:00 PM   #15
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard

If only that were completely true. The problem is, the RIAA "represents" many, many artists, and not too few labels even, who aren't asking for their "help". What they are looking at is the activity as traceable from cow towing ISPs much more than the content. I suspect that, yes, they are most interested in pursuing people with a hard-drive full of Britney and Eminem open for others to share than they are the obscure stuff, but don't count on them keeping that close of track. They seem to be web-crawling at random overall.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth