Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page patience
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2010, 09:39 AM   #1
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
how do you find it when you need it?

my usual coping skills have left me.

I am in a state of high-flux, with the inability to even begin to think about where I am going to take myself, until time has passed.

I leave for australia to meet the one I love in less than three weeks. my only activities are working out, art and milking time from old job as I can (the ability to do even that is becoming and less and less as time goes by).

I am in a "strange" city (old/new) with no friends, I do not get high and I am trying not to spend money.

silly worries haunt me like never before. maybe they aren't so silly, but worry doesn't serve me right now, and I need to become more calm, focused and, well, happy.

what should I do? or rather, what would you do?

I can't promise to take yr advice, but there's a few clever people around here, so I figured that it couldn't hurt.

ps: the first person to post a Guns 'n Roses video will get neg-repped by every user-name I possess. thanks.
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 09:47 AM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I want to say something awesome, bud. I just don't know what. Seriously. Maybe write things down? Maybe that would help sort things out for you -- to see all yr thoughts on a page? Then try to organize them on another page? Literally sort things out. I don't know. I probably suck at this, but hope you're taking care of yrself.
Old 06.14.2010, 09:48 AM   #3
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
go for a long walk everyday, find a spot in nature and relax in it for an hour. then you will realise all this hippie calm shit and your poverty and material needs will not seem so constricting. seriously this is still a good idea. go walk in a park or nature.

eat specific food. cook some fresh fish with green veg. also eat almonds and nuts. all these can be gotten cheap and will calm you down.

relax and don't try to do everything. in fact try to do nothing for a while. then when you are ready you can start packing/throwing out stuff you no longer need.

go for a swim in the pool.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 10:11 AM   #4
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Maybe write things down? Maybe that would help sort things out for you -- to see all yr thoughts on a page? Then try to organize them on another page? Literally sort things out.

I've done that so many times, at least, in lists of things I know that I need to improve/work on. I am VERY proactive, but time is an enemy. it needs to go away. there's either too much or too little of it. I worry that I'll completely short-circuit very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
go for a long walk everyday, find a spot in nature and relax in it for an hour. then you will realise all this hippie calm shit and your poverty and material needs will not seem so constricting. seriously this is still a good idea. go walk in a park or nature.

eat specific food. cook some fresh fish with green veg. also eat almonds and nuts. all these can be gotten cheap and will calm you down.

relax and don't try to do everything. in fact try to do nothing for a while. then when you are ready you can start packing/throwing out stuff you no longer need.

go for a swim in the pool.

I walk 10km a day, although not so much in nature. I've considered going to the beach, but the goth in me really doesn't like the sun all that much. maybe I should.

I pretty much only eat healthy (except for occasional treat of mexican food).

every physical possession I own is in the corner of this room in which I'm sitting. I'm down to below-bare-minimum as far "stuff" goes. comics, music, treasured books and clothes are about all that I have left.

everything that I can think to do costs money. I want a tattoo. I want to go to disneyland. I might go to the beach....and eat fish. I need a haircut (gasp). I feel so wound up that I just end up sleeping.

about the only near-term thing I have to look forward to is Brian Jonestown Massacre next week.

I need to learn how to "not do" and be happy.

any ideas on how to place one's self into two week coma?
Old 06.14.2010, 10:15 AM   #5
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Musems?
Old 06.14.2010, 10:21 AM   #6
space
expwy. to yr skull

yes, and there's plenty of them here. I was hoping to save that as an activity with the girl, but do want to go.

I guess my problem isn't all that clear, nor do I think that anyone can help me but myself.

I'm not at a lack of ideas what to do, but all those things cost money that I haven't wanted to spend. I think in the interest of staying sane, I need to give up on this saving money notion and spend knowing that it's buying me time and ability to happiliy continue in the direction in which I wish to go. I might also need to quit milking this job, as that requires that I sit here, pushing buttons and waiting for msn to go off. not bad for what I'm paid, but I think maybe I have valued money too much. ... sorry for rambling. as you can see, I'm a mess.

HOW DO I LEARN HOW TO BECOME PATIENT? maybe I can't....
Old 06.14.2010, 10:48 AM   #7
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
you've got your computer so there's no excuse. surf the web, find some new game to play on your computer, find a different forum to chat on or go trolling. ;^) There's also Hulu and other movie and tv channels out there.
If you hate the job then take a hike, if you don't mind the job then stay because at this point it at least fills up some part of your day.
Old 06.14.2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
What happened to girlgun?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 11:49 AM   #9
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Serenity Now!
Old 06.14.2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Yes, what DID happen to her?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 12:11 PM   #11
space
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

I, quite unintentionally, leave curses in my wake.

currently, girlgun, as well as her entire city, are experiencing the curse of water. this is not to say that I've cursed her directly, although some may argue that point too.

air, earth and fire have all been previously cast; only void remains.

I am a walking hex, a cracked vessel, a broken creation and a messenger of woe.
Old 06.14.2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by space

I am in a state of high-flux, with the inability to even begin to think about where I am going to take myself, until time has passed.

I leave for australia to meet the one I love in less than three weeks. my only activities are working out, art and milking time from old job as I can (the ability to do even that is becoming and less and less as time goes by).

I am in a "strange" city (old/new) with no friends, I do not get high and I am trying not to spend money.

silly worries haunt me like never before. maybe they aren't so silly, but worry doesn't serve me right now, and I need to become more calm, focused and, well, happy.

I can't promise to take yr advice, but there's a few clever people around here, so I figured that it couldn't hurt.

ps: the first person to post a Guns 'n Roses video will get neg-repped by every user-name I possess. thanks.

I've always found that sitting down in public is good. Particularly if there's an area with a lot of genuinely homeless people (as opposed to villainous crack-heads), who'll usually be happier after a chat than if you just give them money. You'll find that a lot of homeless people are more interesting than your average person. Of course, this is usually because human tragedy is more interesting than masked failure.

This should have a secondary function of bringing your current anxieties into repose - listening to other people, their problems, can often make your current concerns not so much lessened as communal. You know you're not going to see these people again, and it's surprising the candour you can acquire from strangers.

The more prosaic option is to tie up the loose-ends early - we all know there's something you'll only remember at the last moment. Have you called your family? Is there an old colleague you really should say goodbye to? These sort of things only come up once you've stopped worrying about the more practical things, unless of course you're a prize procrastinator. On this tip, is there anyone you've always wanted to ring up and call a cunt? Now's the perfect opportunity, as you know you won't see them again. Obviously, you're moving on, but there's a chance that bitterness about that one guy may go with you - get rid of it, in one great bridge-burning gesture.

You could start writing - you're moving on; is there anything you want to remember? Not the big things - they never leave you - but those little moments that make you laugh, like a duck falling over in a park or a comically-shaped fruit. Maybe you'll never see another packet of Doritos - cherish those comical Doritos. Write them down. You never know who might be interested in future.

If you're worrying a lot, try and think about why you're worrying, rather than fretting about the state of worry. This is hard advice - we all get more interested in the panic than the cause of the panic. Again, writing down a list of everything that's worrying you may help - and then write a list of everything you're looking forward to. You'll probably find that, once written down, your worries aren't as bad as you think. They may even seem even more silly. Remember, it's fine to be anxious - that's natural - but you know you're moving on to somewhere that'll make you happier.

Patience is a virtue, say the Christians. They may not have everything right, but being patient is something that some of us never learn. Think of this as the last time you'll really have to be patient - if necessary, say to yourself 'I'm going to enjoy this anxiety'.

Did you ever want to learn French, or read about Engineering? In a couple of weeks, you could easily read quite a lot about this. Your public library is probably better stocked than you imagine, and if you're concentrating on something like that, you'll find you're worrying less. I'd suggest something practical, rather than something intellectual - it's easier to put your mind at ease when you're keeping yourself busy.

Most of all, remember - this might be the last chance you get to see America. Try and enjoy it! It's your home-country, and it'll always be a big part of your identity.

I wish you all the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
ps - FUCK YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 12:34 PM   #14
space
expwy. to yr skull

I'm quite certain that this isn't my last chance to see america, at least, my current visa doesn't say so.

unless, of course, america is swallowed up by a great black void upon my departure, which is, honestly, quite possible.

ps- thanks. you helped. I'd tell you how much I appreciate you in public, but instead,
please twat off now.
Old 06.14.2010, 12:35 PM   #15
space
expwy. to yr skull

brb - logging over for a bit of neg-repping.
Old 06.14.2010, 12:37 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
fucking hell. it's times like these that I wish I hadn't neg repped glice so often.

can someone else help me out with that g'n'r link?

thanks.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 12:42 PM   #17
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by space

go to the beach. get sunbaked. read some long and difficult books: war and peace, proust's in search of time lost, that kind of thing. and work out-- maybe yoga, maybe jog, something that releases endorphins. also, you could try meditation. there are a few zen centers in hellay, and this guy is a 102 year old zen master that actually teaches in your area (he's a bit fragile, but he's got good minions): http://www.mbzc.org/teacher.php4

barring all that, a prescription for klonopin should work like a charm.

...little patience, mm yeah, ooh yeah,
Need a little patience, yeah
Just a little patience, yeah
Some more pati... (ence, yeah)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 12:43 PM   #18
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
ps, for anyone who thinks that I'm kidding...

I could also link you to Wichita Falls, Mt. St. Helens and several nasty earthquakes, but I'd rather you go on thinking that I'm just goth, and not, say, the antichrist.

thanks.
Old 06.14.2010, 12:54 PM   #19
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
go to the beach. get sunbaked.

yes, maybe this.

Quote:
something that releases endorphins.

think I already do too much of this.

Quote:
you could try meditation.

I need to try this.

Quote:
barring all that, a prescription for klonopin should work like a charm.

I think that getting high would make me worse. I need to be more grounded, while being less hyper-focused.

---

most of all, I'm afraid that my behavior could taint my relationship with the girl I love. I'm a nutjob under normal circumstances, sure, but the self-imposed stress is making me even more so.

I love her, and do not wish to push her away because of my tendency to want to self-destruct or pull away. I'm trying to be the best person that I can be, while recognizing that I still have lots of work.

right...

I'm starting OPERATION:FLOATSLOWER by clocking out of this illusionary job, taking a quick shower and going to best buy to pick of some dvds for a miyazaki marathon.

perhaps tomorrow I'll go to venice.
Old 06.14.2010, 12:58 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
klonopin doesn't make you high-- it's a mild anti-anxiety that's not addictive because it's not fast-acting. it just generally calms you down.

you could also go on a water fast & kick caffeine. after 3 days of headaches you'll be clear-headed & calm. no workouts during that period though.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth