Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page now independent thinkers are considered diseased by psychiatry
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.13.2010, 04:43 PM   #21
kierkegaarden
children of satan

kierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
more interested than that, there's an article in "the nation" about the forced psychiatric confinement of former sex offenders who have completed their sentences on the basis of "mental abnormality" defined very vague psychiatric "symptoms" such as "has no formal work history" or "is now married".

http://www.thenation.com/article/what-weve-become

There's nothing ambiguous about the issue: can future crimes be stemmed by the non-punitive confinement of pathological offenders? It's an ethical concern.
kierkegaarden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 05:05 PM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierkegaarden
There's nothing ambiguous about the issue: can future crimes be stemmed by the non-punitive confinement of pathological offenders? It's an ethical concern.

right, but so is "preemptive war" (an ethical concern). the thing is, this confinement is not "non-punitive" just because it's in a mental ward instead of a jail. we're talking about the involuntary confinement of a person who is married and eager to get out and rebuild his life. can you punish future crimes outside of a p k dick novel? it's a civil rights issue.

i just though to bring it up because the role psychiatry plays here, as prosecutor, judge and jury, and about the weak evidence the examiner presents to conclude "mental abnormality"-- to me, it's more significant than george will's take on the role of psychiatry in society-- while will talks about potential repercussions to the law, here we're seeing a concrete example of the legal implications of psychiatric diagnosis (and not a very thorough one to boot).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 05:15 PM   #23
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
WAR IS PEACE
SLAVERY IS FREEDOM
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

sure is a little 1984 up in this fuckin' planet lately
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 05:16 PM   #24
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
more interested than that, there's an article in "the nation" about the forced psychiatric confinement of former sex offenders who have completed their sentences on the basis of "mental abnormality" defined very vague psychiatric "symptoms" such as "has no formal work history" or "is now married".

http://www.thenation.com/article/what-weve-become
What caught my attention about these news (yes pbradley - that's news) is how such a psychological profile could play a crucial part in any future criminal trials that would involve demonstrators in regard to certain issues.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 05:36 PM   #25
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
What caught my attention about these news (yes pbradley - that's news) is how such a psychological profile could play a crucial part in any future criminal trials that would involve demonstrators in regard to certain issues.

i definitely have "oppositional defiant disorder", but my shrink(s0 don't treat it as a condition, rather as a personality trait that could be successfully channeled into productive pursuits, i.e., political agitator, ha haha.

socrates sure had that too (though he didn't curse people like i do, and he was way smarter), but he didn't fare so well, though he was old anyway when he was condemned.

the problem is when you try to stuff people into the same lifestyle-- if you're expected to go work in a factory or office then the "oppositional defiant disorder" can truly be a hurdle to survival (i've been fired from more jobs than i can count because i can't stand bosses). however, there are other ways to make a living.

look at the way the bastard laughs. he was arrested for speeding in his brand-new sports car and he didn't give 2 shits.

--

in the so-called "creative economies", eccentricity is a valuable asset. "i need 100 crazies by the end of the month!"

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...5.florida.html
Old 06.13.2010, 06:03 PM   #26
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I was also thinking about someone who works in a different department than mine and is closely associated with our union. He is experiencing problems that will probably lead to him being sacked or made redundant (his words) because he is used to the more full-on approach to not taking any shit that the unions have in France, where he is from. Basically his managers are subtly making his life difficult enough at work for him to feel stressed out all the time.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 06:53 PM   #27
kierkegaarden
children of satan

kierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
right, but so is "preemptive war" (an ethical concern). the thing is, this confinement is not "non-punitive" just because it's in a mental ward instead of a jail. we're talking about the involuntary confinement of a person who is married and eager to get out and rebuild his life. can you punish future crimes outside of a p k dick novel? it's a civil rights issue.

i just though to bring it up because the role psychiatry plays here, as prosecutor, judge and jury, and about the weak evidence the examiner presents to conclude "mental abnormality"-- to me, it's more significant than george will's take on the role of psychiatry in society-- while will talks about potential repercussions to the law, here we're seeing a concrete example of the legal implications of psychiatric diagnosis (and not a very thorough one to boot).

Personally, I'm disturbed by this precedent. But I'm also wary of leaving fires burning; we can only speculate and even then we're only underestimating. The only one who has the right to be modest is the victim.
kierkegaarden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 01:07 AM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Yeah, I was also thinking about someone who works in a different department than mine and is closely associated with our union. He is experiencing problems that will probably lead to him being sacked or made redundant (his words) because he is used to the more full-on approach to not taking any shit that the unions have in France, where he is from. Basically his managers are subtly making his life difficult enough at work for him to feel stressed out all the time.

i think in the anglosaxon model the workers are expected to be a lot more compliant than in france. strikes in america are considered a shame and a disgrace while in france they are a national sport. and didn't thatcher make her reputation by breaking a coalminer's strike? what's perfectly normal in one culture is a "disorder" in another. i tend to be "too loud" or rambunctious for certain types of people here in 'merica. don't know if you know the type, but they speak very softly and take turns to speak as if there was an invisible microphone, and they never get angry in public-- i like it when everyone talks at the same time and moves their hands for expression.

anyway, i hope your friend gets to go back to france-- the food is better, the people are nicer... but yes, his "difference" could be psychologized as a "condition". however there's a catch 22 to this-- if his issue could be categorized as a "psychological disorder", your friend could claim a "disability" & fuck the bosses back. sticking it to the boss is so so very sweet.
Old 06.14.2010, 01:57 AM   #29
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i tend to be "too loud" or rambunctious for certain types of people here in 'merica.
Sounds like valium by court order, for you.

Quote:
don't know if you know the type, but they speak very softly and take turns to speak as if there was an invisible microphone, and they never get angry in public
I fit this pretty well, I think. Have a drug that can make us more hysterical? A this point, I figure it's become a war of the personalities.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 10:19 AM   #30
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
more interested than that, there's an article in "the nation" about the forced psychiatric confinement of former sex offenders

I'd have no objection except moron DA's tag 'sex offender' on some guy taking a piss off his porch or some guy walking around in his kitchen naked while a nosy neighbor peeks in and then complains...I'm of the belief that rapists don't change
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 11:31 AM   #31
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Sounds like valium by court order, for you.

that's nothing. some army type once told me that i needed a lobotomy-- the poor bastard!

Quote:
I fit this pretty well, I think. Have a drug that can make us more hysterical?

alcohol is supposed to uncork bottled up emotion and invite good cheer. not sure about being "hysterical". who'd want that?

Quote:
A this point, I figure it's become a war of the personalities.

war? who is at war?

the colombian is hotter, and a lot more fun
Old 06.15.2010, 11:34 AM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
I'd have no objection except moron DA's tag 'sex offender' on some guy taking a piss off his porch or some guy walking around in his kitchen naked while a nosy neighbor peeks in and then complains...I'm of the belief that rapists don't change

not sure this guy was a "rapist" proper, he was a street person who fucked other street people and gave them HIV, though, if I understand correctly, not on purpose.

the sex offender is the new terrorist. "let's get him before he gets us!" why don't they do the same with white collar criminals? we should have jailed BP executives last year by that measure.
Old 06.15.2010, 01:21 PM   #33
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
not sure this guy was a "rapist" proper, he was a street person who fucked other street people and gave them HIV, though, if I understand correctly, not in person.

the sex offender is the new terrorist. "let's get him before he gets us!" why don't they do the same with white collar criminals? we should have jailed BP executives last year by that measure.

Just ask OJ money talks if you got money you never have to worry about going to jail unless you're completely stupid and cocky beyond words again just ask OJ.
Old 06.15.2010, 10:16 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

holy fuck i just noted that i meant to write "not on purpose" not "not in person". of course he gave HIV "in person". you can't get HIV from cybering.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth