Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.11.2016, 06:06 AM   #61
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
^ This is really funny, and even funnier because you have no idea why it's funny.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 06:07 AM   #62
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Well in many respects that has more or less been radiohead for the past 15 years.. you either dig it or you won't but it is what it is..

Not necessarily. "In Rainbows", for example, was a masterpiece, a true display of how to blend various Radiohead elements (guitar driven music, Thom's whining, electronics, songwriting) into one highly functional product. TKOL totally blew and the new one is not bad, it actually works, it's just bland and boring. It's the first Radiohead record ever where I have trouble distinguishing one song from another, which is, frankly, a very bad sign for a band that put out records as caleidoscopic as, say, "Kid A".
Grandpa music.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 07:44 AM   #63
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think having the songs mesh together is what they were going for

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 08:45 AM   #64
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
I'm a huge Radiohead fan. This thread is hugely embarrassing. Holy fuck what has happened to this forum?

Can you be a little more specific about what exactly you find embarrassing here? I mean, there's a lot of shit flying around in this thread. There's me, trying to get people to talk about the new Radiohead album, and talking instead mostly about old Radiohead albums. There's SFAD's Amazon woes. There's Genteel and slavo's typical bullshit, pepper typing drunk and SFAD creaming over the album after finally hearing it.

I'm gonna need a little more detail from you bro.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 09:01 AM   #65
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Not necessarily. "In Rainbows", for example, was a masterpiece, a true display of how to blend various Radiohead elements (guitar driven music, Thom's whining, electronics, songwriting) into one highly functional product. TKOL totally blew and the new one is not bad, it actually works, it's just bland and boring. It's the first Radiohead record ever where I have trouble distinguishing one song from another, which is, frankly, a very bad sign for a band that put out records as caleidoscopic as, say, "Kid A".
Grandpa music.

Let's not go crazy with the grandpa music thing. What fucking grandpa would listen to Ful Stop? My father — who's certainly old enough to be a grandfather — told me he'd listened to the new Radiohead song, "if it can even be called a song," in reference to Burn the Witch. So, y'know... I think you're giving grandpas too much credit in general. This is not much for dudes who were born in the '40s and '50s.

Also I think you're giving In Rainbows too much credit. I love the album, but it was the first Radiohead release to lack at least one flagship WTF song. Good album, but coming after HTTT, which had some of the band's most intense moments, it sounded pretty tame and safe on the whole. Where is the Idiotueqe/I Might Be Wrong/Myxo-like standout on that record? Nowhere. If Radiohead's making "grandpa" music, In Rainbows was their first foray into that genre.

But I think you're being dismissive and unfair. It's not like this is a Songs of Innocence-type adult contempor-fuck-around. Also, you said it was shit, then you said it was crap, then you said it worked, then you said it was bland and boring, and you're not bothering to mention how and why, so it's pretty hard to take you seriously. Sounds like you're just being a contrarian.
Old 05.11.2016, 09:03 AM   #66
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I think having the songs mesh together is what they were going for

I think so too. Regardless of whether or not they're still in peak form, they're a ridiculously precise band, and they make their decisions about everything that goes into their albums very deliberately.
Old 05.11.2016, 09:28 AM   #67
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I think so too. Regardless of whether or not they're still in peak form, they're a ridiculously precise band, and they make their decisions about everything that goes into their albums very deliberately.

My grandpops (rest his soul) listened to delta and chicago blues religiously so I took it as a compliment

Old 05.11.2016, 09:31 AM   #68
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

While I adore In Rainbows (and Weird Fishes is that one stand out song) I agree that Hail to the Thief was a high water mark.. but remember the band always envisions Amnesiac/Kid A/Hail to the Thief as a singular album. If all their albums were as good as their peak it would defeat the very idea of having a peak album! They can't all be perfection. Which band did?

I do feel like this record as the most Hail to the Thief feeling since 2003! In Rainbows is good, and The King of Limbs is superb live material, but this new one feels more like radiohead going on an adventure. I think that we should expect something more, this feels like the beginning an extended project. It feels incomplete, I imagine they have a part two in mind

Old 05.11.2016, 11:33 AM   #69
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
What is the title in reference to, btw?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 12:20 PM   #70
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
After several listens, I have to say I am enjoying this album quite a bit. The only thing "bothering" me is every time Present Tense plays, I can not help but to hear this Verdena song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYdUWfMGVqU

Severian, I am also intrigued with your take on TKOL and it's From the Basement sessions, because I actually had pretty much that same perception for In Rainbows. That album did not really set in with me until seeing it done on From the Basement.

IMO, Radiohead are just a great "dissection" band (partly why I have always loved SY as much too, really). You can listen and take in the overall mood/vibe, sure, but there is a certain enjoyability to analyzing, picking apart, and appreciating all the layering and texturing that goes into each song and how it's all pulled off. I feel half of what makes Radiohead what they are is the simplicity and patience that goes into many of those elements, and the interplay of those textural choices. This album seems to carry a lot of that "patience" they do so well, if that makes sense to anyone but me.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 12:32 PM   #71
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
Digging the macro-resolution string phenomena (pletctrum attack, atonal, percussive qualities, wild harmonics) on Burn the Witch. Regarding the rest of the album, overall, there's too much piano.. like 14 excess piano. Tinker Tailor just sort of floats away, after a promising start. Decks Dark is a proper creeper, with swagger. Dope synth and guitar chord strums on "Identikit." Ful Stop will undoubtedly be the people's favorite. Feels like a big Beck record, in the vein of Sea Change or Mutations. Thom sounds tired. I'm thinking a pale 3.8 to a solid, albeit inclined 4.35 (gradient) out of five. But that could change, stay tuned.
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 12:34 PM   #72
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
What is the title in reference to, btw?
a pool, in the shape of a moon. and everything that it entails, however problematic
Old 05.11.2016, 01:26 PM   #73
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
Digging the macro-resolution string phenomena (pletctrum attack, atonal, percussive qualities, wild harmonics) on Burn the Witch. Regarding the rest of the album, overall, there's too much piano.. like 14 excess piano. Tinker Tailor just sort of floats away, after a promising start. Decks Dark is a proper creeper, with swagger. Dope synth and guitar chord strums on "Identikit." Ful Stop will undoubtedly be the people's favorite. Feels like a big Beck record, in the vein of Sea Change or Mutations. Thom sounds tired. I'm thinking a pale 3.8 to a solid, albeit inclined 4.35 (gradient) out of five. But that could change, stay tuned.

I initially agreed that it was a bit heavy on the piano but I realized it fit well into the overall feel, tone, and composition of this record so I didn't mind it. I also felt that Thom sounds very reserved for a radiohead record, but I almost think that is what they are going for. Also agree that Thom has a minimized vocal presence compared to previous radiohead BUT I also feel that is what he was going for..

which will likely please Severian who apparently thinks Thom should leave the group

Old 05.11.2016, 04:02 PM   #74
selkcip
bad moon rising

only a self-proclaimed, bona fide musician would be qualified to make that call...
Old 05.11.2016, 04:19 PM   #75
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
In Rainbows is clearly superior but this is a good album. I found Yorke forgettable on it and the instrumentation usually outshines him..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2016, 04:23 PM   #76
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, I'm just happy to get a new Radiohead album.
Old 05.11.2016, 04:25 PM   #77
louder
invito al cielo

'Decks Dark' is an early favorite. The bass guitar at the end..

When those synths kick in on 'Identikit' - another noteworthy moment.
Old 05.11.2016, 04:29 PM   #78
louder
invito al cielo

The bossa nova influence and backing vocals on 'Present Tense'..
Old 05.11.2016, 04:43 PM   #79
louder
invito al cielo

Most importantly, I feel like I can grow an emotional attachment to this album, which wasn't the case with "The King of Limbs"..
Old 05.11.2016, 05:12 PM   #80
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
is ed sheeran in this band? i saw the video for daydreaming, they have some aging tramp wandering around for no reason, it's utterly shit. is it supposed to be like a comment on the alienated yet fragile state of contemporary man as he is reduced to a silent spectator under the regime of digital capitalism? i don't know what radiohead where trying to say with this, maybe trying to make themselves look like authentic arty proles rather than the upper class oxford snobs they are. sneering alterna rock posh kids from oxford, the post modern equivalent of 19th century borgeious 'let them eat cake' snobs. do you know how thom yorke is actually pronounced? it's pronounced "th-om yor-ke'" (the e has an umlaut but my keyboard can't do it).

also you have to hate these fucking cunts for the jizzspolsion the press had when they released some crappy late era album as a pay what you want stream. like they were the first to do that. sorry. nothing this band have done has been any good since "origin of symmetry".

this "burn the witch" song, supposed to be some radical comment on the mob mentality, that's great coming from a bunch of lords in their shire mansions which is what radiohead are. th-om yorke was just a late 90's fashion model that got big because of that trend where they used semi-deformed and retarded people in high end brand name advertisizing campaigns because it was so 'avant'. look at how he has let himself go these days, he looks like he should be begging money for cider out of a sleeping bag. also, in this burn the witch video they burn a lot of wood - i thought th-ome was going to save us all by nagging us about our carbon footprint and not having any logos at his gigs? do you think th-omes' maid thinks he's a tortured genius when she's dusting his grimy cider stained sheets? please tell me how that face and that haircut don't have "just stabbed my community practice nurse with a plastic fork and now i'm off to rob the off licence before they catch me" written all over it.

in conclusion i will pay whatever i chose which is zero to not have to have any of this bands stuff on my hard drive, taking up precious bits which could be better put to use emitting c02. i give this 2 gifs of morose thome yorke banging a single midi keyboard note over and over and making a million pounds then sending his assistant out to buy warp records entire catalogue to find new ideas now that they've used up all the pixies riffs out of 10.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth