Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page not going to college, so..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2010, 08:13 AM   #61
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
stenoghraphers/court reporters get paid much good money and a lot of times you just show up to law firms to transcribe depositions. good money
Old 07.05.2012, 07:15 AM   #62
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I went to college, graduated 2 years late a couple of weeks ago, with a ba thesis embarrassingly worthless (not that I care) and look at me now! I'm a qualified graphic designer (pffft...).

I just reported myself to unemployment agency.

Unemployed piece of shit, yes, but unemployed piece of shit with a degree.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 07:22 AM   #63
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Meh...don't sweat it.

You go to college to learn, not to be trained for a job.

Unless you're going solely for a job, then you may end up just hating yer job n stuff.

Me? What will I do with a BA in Mathamatics? I have no idea, nor do I know of (GREAT paying) jobs with average mathamatics graduate. I don't care('cause I'm an asshole, that's lucky).

The main reason why I'm actually finishing college to A. To prove I can and B. in case I need to find a job elsewhere, the degree shows your employer that you have some sense of dedication.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 10:42 AM   #64
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Me? What will I do with a BA in Mathamatics?

ha ha-- a lot of things, once you spell it right! that's a great degree to have, don't underestimate it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 10:55 AM   #65
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
Well, I went to college, graduated 2 years late a couple of weeks ago, with a ba thesis embarrassingly worthless (not that I care) and look at me now! I'm a qualified graphic designer (pffft...).

I just reported myself to unemployment agency.

Unemployed piece of shit, yes, but unemployed piece of shit with a degree.

okay man i just reread your 6 years worth of posts in this thread and i just wanted to say don't worry--it strikes me as if you'd be miserable regardless of circumstances. job, no job, school, no school, you'd still have the same shitty attitude no matter what. maybe i'm wrong, but from here it looks like it's all negativity all the time.

so-- what evolghost said-- don't sweat it!

(ps- you might wanna ease off on the self-hate though... srsly... it will take a toll on yr health)
Old 07.05.2012, 11:10 AM   #66
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Mathematics sorry...heh...
Old 07.05.2012, 12:29 PM   #67
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Doodz, I double majored in history and literature, lost my job a year ago, and just recently got a TEMPORARY receptionist position at $10/hour. So, my consequences of going to college:

- burned out studying the things I enjoyed the most, therefore never want to work in a related field
- became a turn-off to potential employers because they assume college grads will demand higher salaries
- can't find a semi-decent even entry-level position in ANY field in the current job market
- generally became even more misanthropic than before
- now owe a RHINO SHITLOAD OF MONEY in student loans

Fuck college. With a RAKE.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 02:43 PM   #68
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
What is it that you want to do with your life?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 02:46 PM   #69
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
Well, over here, unemployment among university graduates is significantly lower than among their not academically educated contemporaries. Of course, it depends on what you have studied and how far you have gone (Bachelor, Master, Doctorate). Still, academics are less and shorter unemployed, from a statistical point of view. I concede though, that you might take a different decision, if you have to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for your education. A crime, in my view.

An acquaintance of mine who holds a degree (MA, actually a Magister) in comparative literature now works as a call center agent for about EUR 9 per hour (pre-tax). Small market.

EVOLghost - We call those MINT disciplines (STEM subjectes?). I think you don't have to worry. My government would embrace you - i don't know, if that's based on reciprocity, though.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 02:52 PM   #70
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
i dont have regrets for my studies (economics/ masters in international banking and financial studies+some other related things), even though i m unemployed now and before i was entirely miserable in my fields of work.

i want, but its pointless to talk about my reality (my country's reality).
have had all over past decade. ah my posts are deleted. its ok.

i never had high expectations and i never cared/seeked for making loads of money.

one thing that might be good with this crisis -have said the same 3+ years ago- is that people* will view life differently, less materialistic to name one. *the ones who are lucky and will survive this.
i have real hopes for people who just finish school now. at first, they were the ones who i felt mostly bad for, 'paying' all the shit that system has been doing over the last 40 years. they wont have to go to uni to get a 'decent' job. fuck 'decent'. they will be more bold with their choices, they will follow their dreams, because what more do you have to lose. basically they ll think and believe: fuck 'decent'.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 02:56 PM   #71
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
ah people are telling me that i am wrong. that people and young people, keep caring about the material as a life goal.
dunno. that thought above is stuck in my head.
Old 07.05.2012, 03:00 PM   #72
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
i dont have regrets for my studies (economics/ masters in international banking and financial studies+some other related things), even though i m unemployed now and before i was entirely miserable in my fields of work.

i want, but its pointless to talk about my reality (my country's reality).
have had all over past decade. ah my posts are deleted. its ok.

i never had high expectations and i never cared/seeked for making loads of money.

one thing that might be good with this crisis -have said the same 3+ years ago- is that people* will view life differently, less materialistic to name one. *the ones who are lucky and will survive this.
i have real hopes for people who just finish school now. at first, they were the ones who i felt mostly bad for, 'paying' all the shit that system has been doing over the last 40 years. they wont have to go to uni to get a 'decent' job. fuck 'decent'. they will be more bold with their choices, they will follow their dreams, because what more do you have to lose. basically they ll think and believe: fuck 'decent'.
Amen, sister!
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 05:46 PM   #73
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
make my own films/music

going to college for that is just a bunch of useless debt unless you're going on a scholarship

so-- where are your films and music now? and do you have a day job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Fuck college. With a RAKE.

^^THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
comparative literature

oooh haaa haaa!

yeah...
Old 07.05.2012, 06:00 PM   #74
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
going to college for that is just a bunch of useless debt unless you're going on a scholarship

so-- where are your films and music now? and do you have a day job?

(

This is quite a good response. Yer gonna have to work hard if j00 wanna do that. Yer still young too mumer. So milk all the ime ya got to do shit you want to do because man...after high school, shit is gone be fucked.
Old 07.05.2012, 06:01 PM   #75
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I left art college to join a militant communist party where I dressed the shit and worked my arse off night and day. I don't regret any of it apart from the fact that I never had time for anything else in my late teens. I'm still a loser, but at least I've got skills in dealing with people taking things away from me now.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2012, 10:40 PM   #76
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
I say go to college for Gen Ed. 2 years general education. Then decide again if it's worth it to you to continue. For me, it wasn't. I was working at a software company, while going to school for computer stuff... doesn't make sense. Everyone including software developers urged me to not waste my money. I feel like 2 years was a good investment in "general education". Any more would be a waste for me, as I'm a better independent learner. Plus, you can always go back.
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2012, 03:16 AM   #77
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
i'm going to sleep with old men for money probably

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2012, 03:38 AM   #78
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

eww...
Old 07.06.2012, 04:16 AM   #79
Nefeli
invito al cielo

i m gonna start selling my dreams for scenarios.
Old 07.06.2012, 04:17 AM   #80
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
i'm going to sleep with old men for money probably

nah your idea is safer bet.

ugh dead end. too late for me. i m old as it is. next.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth