Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2017, 01:04 PM   #20921
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
under the skin was a creepy cool flick
Old 04.13.2017, 02:50 PM   #20922
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
great soundtrack
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2017, 03:22 PM   #20923
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
anyone else get a chance to see the new movie, "I Called Him Morgan"?

excellent. Really nice music, the Art Blakey sets are just the coolest and most adventurous stuff imaginable. Some fine still photos most people have never seen and some great interviews of, among others, Wayne Shorter and Bennie Maupin. A very sensitive bio.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/m...view.html?_r=0
Old 04.17.2017, 07:56 AM   #20924
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Watched Amy Schumer's latest special on Netflix. I'd never seen her and heard a few people saying how bad it is. How she's gotten popular is beyond. So bad, just so bad.

"My pussy smells like a barnyard animal" Yeah? Good for you, now say something funny.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2017, 07:56 AM   #20925
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Ghost in the Shell

I'll watch the remake cos I'm genuinely curious how Hollywood deals with it. I hope they don't just go too overboard with the action though, cos the brilliance of the original was totally down to its sombre introspection. Whatever they do, the original will always be one of those perfectly formed things that only gets better the more times you watch it and if the remake only leads people who haven't seen it to give it a look, then all the better.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2017, 07:58 AM   #20926
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Ghost in the Shell

I'll watch the remake cos I'm genuinely curious how Hollywood deals with it. I hope they don't just go too overboard with the action though, cos the brilliance of the original was totally down to its sombre introspection. Whatever they do, the original will always be one of those perfectly formed things that only gets better the more times you watch it and if the remake only leads people who haven't seen it to give it a look, then all the better.

I went to see it on Thursday. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2017, 08:08 AM   #20927
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm seeing it next week. I'll go with an open mind and like I said, more out of curiosity than anything.
Old 04.17.2017, 08:08 AM   #20928
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i started watching boondock saints and it was soooooo bad ha ha ha ha

so bad it's good kinda but not really. just ridiculous.

but yeah i'll finish it. it's not hateable yet--it just relies so much on its campiness that it offers little (nothing?) else--- so that the camp itself soon loses its edge

this is exactly what didn't happen in pulp fiction, which had a little bit of everything for everyone so that you can read in multiple ways. but this one is a one-trick pony at halftime, which is when i stopped.

but yeah i'll finish it... maybe...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2017, 08:20 AM   #20929
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I really can't fault that film, although I weirdly never actually liked Ferris. I'm definitely Team Cameron.
i used to see them as people but nowadays i read them rather as "forces"... that pull the adolescent psyche either one way or another. like... they're all parts of the same thing, i suppose. they're inside someone's head not out there in the world.

i used to dislike ferris more because of his apparent sociopathy. but after rewatches at different ages i realized that he's totally necessary for cameron not to be crushed under the weight of everything that's been loaded upon him. on his own he'd be a monster, but as counterbalance to his depressed and joyless friend he's a necessary evil/not evil.

fucking high school was a prison. i went bananas much later.
Old 04.17.2017, 08:44 AM   #20930
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
When Boondock Saints came out everyone I knew was sucking it's limp dick, and I fucking found that shit so BORING. That movie sucks so fucking much.
Old 04.17.2017, 09:08 AM   #20931
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i started watching boondock saints and it was soooooo bad ha ha ha ha

so bad it's good kinda but not really. just ridiculous.

but yeah i'll finish it. it's not hateable yet--it just relies so much on its campiness that it offers little (nothing?) else--- so that the camp itself soon loses its edge

this is exactly what didn't happen in pulp fiction, which had a little bit of everything for everyone so that you can read in multiple ways. but this one is a one-trick pony at halftime, which is when i stopped.

but yeah i'll finish it... maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
When Boondock Saints came out everyone I knew was sucking it's limp dick, and I fucking found that shit so BORING. That movie sucks so fucking much.

Oh hallelujah, I thought I was the only one.

Quote:
i used to see them as people but nowadays i read them rather as "forces"... that pull the adolescent psyche either one way or another. like... they're all parts of the same thing, i suppose. they're inside someone's head not out there in the world.

i used to dislike ferris more because of his apparent sociopathy. but after rewatches at different ages i realized that he's totally necessary for cameron not to be crushed under the weight of everything that's been loaded upon him. on his own he'd be a monster, but as counterbalance to his depressed and joyless friend he's a necessary evil/not evil.

fucking high school was a prison. i went bananas much later.

I saw a documentary with John Hughes where he says he had to be really careful casting for Ferris because of how easy it would be for audiences to lose sympathy for a character like that. Matthew Broderick just about manages to pull it off but even so, I LOVE Cameron's character. There's a weird theory going around that actually Ferris is only a figment of Cameron's imagination. It doesn't quite work in terms of the film itself but it's still a nice idea that, with a few script adjustments, could've made perfect sense.

Also nice is that Hollywood never tried to turn it into a franchise or attempt a remake (so far at least).
Old 04.17.2017, 09:40 AM   #20932
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh those "figment" theories, yeah... no, those are misunderstandings about how art works. if fiction is a poetic interpretation of reality then they're obviously all figments of the writer's imagination and that's that. this is not fight club. if one is a figment then both are. and yeah i see it that way.

so yeah i realize i'm psychologizing the characters rather than giving them a full personal reality, but i don't think it's the same sort of crime as trying to invent some hidden plot. i think a psychological reading is valid here.

i never liked cameron, he seemed to me a huge killjoy, but at the same time for me (for me at a personal level, i'm not claiming that this is the key to the whole thing) the central moment of the move is when they're at the art museum and he sees the seurat painting and realizes how it works. and how it all works, in a way, that reality is an illusion constructed by our senses and interpretation. that for me is the greatest moment of the whole thing.

so while ferris is good at manipulation those illusions, and cameron is oppressed by them, cameron learns something from it and eventually "wakes up."

i only like him at the end, once he's "cured" or whatever, of his terrible funk. but before that-- man, i wanted to kick him on the head. it's neither one nor the other that i like, it's the combination of both that clicks for me.

same thing btw with the sister-- she's a more extreme form of killjoy and resentment that eventually finds her match/complement in charlie sheen at the police station and also finds her own balance, or what do you call that. she's cool at the end.

the teacher though haaaa haaaa haaaa haaaa haaaa haaaaa

fuck him.
Old 04.17.2017, 11:49 AM   #20933
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
if fiction is a poetic interpretation of reality then they're obviously all figments of the writer's imagination and that's that. this is not fight club. if one is a figment then both are. and yeah i see it that way.

Not sure I get what you're saying there. Fight Club was a figment of its creator's imagination. That doesn't mean that because Tyler Durden doesn't exist then none of the others do. Unless you're arguing that they're all just characters in a movie and not actual people, in which case yeah, obviously. But even then we can stlll have illusions within illusions.

Bottom line though, I don't think this theory reflects what John Hughes was doing (not that we'll ever know for sure now). I just think it's a fun way of watching the film. Most of these imaginary interpretations of Hollywood films (like the Back to the Future-9/11 one) are just bullshit that really add nothing to the movie but the 'imaginary Ferris' one is pretty cool, even if personally I don't buy it.
Old 04.17.2017, 12:00 PM   #20934
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

HARD BOILED baby. John Woo!! I remember first watching this at the art house theater and being blown away by how the bad guys shot cop[s right and left, shot innocents, killed sick people in the hospital, brutal. in 1992 Hollywood bad guys were not allowed to be so "evil."

Old 04.17.2017, 12:31 PM   #20935
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Not sure I get what you're saying there. Fight Club was a figment of its creator's imagination. That doesn't mean that because Tyler Durden doesn't exist then none of the others do. Unless you're arguing that they're all just characters in a movie and not actual people, in which case yeah, obviously. But even then we can stlll have illusions within illusions.

Bottom line though, I don't think this theory reflects what John Hughes was doing (not that we'll ever know for sure now). I just think it's a fun way of watching the film. Most of these imaginary interpretations of Hollywood films (like the Back to the Future-9/11 one) are just bullshit that really add nothing to the movie but the 'imaginary Ferris' one is pretty cool, even if personally I don't buy it.
what i was trying to say is that i don't buy it either as an interpretation of the movie-- hellz no i don't.

but i do see that this fanfic reading comes from looking at ferris as how cameron would like to be: loved by his parents, free to do as he likes, etc. sure, ferris could be seen as an "imaginary" friend, alter ego, jungian shadow, etc.

what im saying though is that the reason that it fits this explanation is because they're meant to be that way, a complimentary pair, just like the sister and teh charlie sheen character-- created by the writer's imagination.

so of course the features that make this possible are there--but it's because they're imaginary creations that are meant to fit each other in a fiction, not because cameron in the story suffers from dissociation and hallucinations.

it's kinda like saying that superman is a dream of lex luthor and romeo was invented by a kooky suicidal juliet. i mean, sure, "it could be". but no. the locus of invention was elsewhere.

then again, don quijote might have invented sancho. or maybe it was the other way around.
Old 04.17.2017, 01:54 PM   #20936
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I Ferris Bueller was black/hispanic he would have been killed/incarcerated by 10 AM.
Old 04.17.2017, 01:55 PM   #20937
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

besides, the only real reason to watch Ferris Bueller is to see Richard Edson joyride in Cameron's dad's sweet car.
Old 04.17.2017, 02:05 PM   #20938
ilduclo
invito al cielo

Quote:

Ghost in the Shell

"Hua Hua media" = joke's on you
Old 04.17.2017, 02:12 PM   #20939
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I Ferris Bueller was black/hispanic he would have been killed/incarcerated by 10 AM.

ha ha ha!

yes

he'd be labeled a "thug" and shot while his hands were up

and one of the reasons i disliked him before was because of his race and class privilege.

but now.. i see him as just a kid trying to GTFO of the edu-prison to which he's been confined. i don't blame him. use everything you've got.

o man i hated high school so much.

college was awesome though.
Old 04.17.2017, 02:20 PM   #20940
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
HARD BOILED baby

Shitty drinking game: take a swig every time someone gets shot. No will be conscious after five minutes.

Dude! When he's in the kitchen! Rolls over flour, shoots bad guy in the head, gets his white face splattered with blood, then spits out his toothpick! Love that part.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
5479479971037104410451046 1047 104810491050105710971147 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth