Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What DO YOU think we should all hear?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2006, 03:41 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Avril Lavigne? The only other "rock" act in recent memory that is worse than this person is Fall Out Boy... really... I mean how does one even summon the nerve to perform if you're in Fall Out Boy? It makes no sense. They are beyond horrible. 9 out of 10 people making music in their garage have more talent to be developed than fucking Fall Out Boy who are successful artists.

Sorry, did I go through your lists and pick out everything I can't stand from it? No. So leave Avril alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 03:45 PM   #42
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
They were a group of supermusicians, but Cream is the worst thing that Clapton was ever involved with (pre-Michelob commercial), that is.

The roots of punk are in rockabilly & garage, just like I wrote. But no one, not The Sonics, not anyone, had ever made a song with a guitar sound like "All Day & All of the Night".

You did get Link Wray in there. Stop hehe patronizing me with Kraftwerk. What makes you think that I've never heard of them? I just mentioned them as an influence on The Cars' third album, Panorama, only yesterday. In the lead-off title track, The Cars employ a synthesized voice that was most likely inspired by Tour de France.

PiL? I just mentioned them in the last post. There you go again patronizing haha me & everyone. Is it good for the gander?
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 03:46 PM   #43
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
And what is it with this signing in as invisble and editing your posts as a reply to others?C'mon old bag,you aint The Phantom of the Opera or are you?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 03:49 PM   #44
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
They were a group of supermusicians, but Cream is the worst thing that Claption was ever involved with (pre-Michelob commercial), that is.

The roots of punk are in rockabilly & garage. But no one, not The Sonics, not anyone, had ever made a song with the guitar sound like "All Day & All of the Night".

You did get Link Wray in there. Stop hehe patronizing me with Kraftwerk. What makes you think that I've never heard of them? I just mentioned them as an influence on The Cars' third album, Panorama, only yesterday. In the lead-off title track, The Cars employ a synthesized voice was most likely inspired by Tour de France.

PiL? I just mentioned them in the last post. There you go again patronizing me & everyone. Is it good for the gander?
As it happens atari i like you a lot.I'm not patronizing anyone on here.Have you been drinking again?

Old 06.21.2006, 03:52 PM   #45
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
Anal Cunt
Cradle of Filth
The Fall
The Cure
Diamanda Galas
Belle & Sebastian
Dolly Parton
Early Nirvana
Wagner
Britten
Muse

*Edit - and, of course, early New Kids on the Block

you are the only person here that has expressed that they like some Dolly Parton besides myself & marleypumpkin.
but...
Anal Cunt, Cradle of Filth, Muse, Belle & Sebastian, and ANY New Kids on the Block...should burn all that shit unless it's still in good enough shape to take back for store credit. Well, to be fair, if your thing is Belle & Sebastian then go for it. They aren't completely horrible, I guess. Nah...put on some yr Diamanda Galas really loud to set the mood & go ahead & burn it while you dance around the fire.
Old 06.21.2006, 03:54 PM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Did I not mention Dolly Parton? Christ. I'm getting forgetful.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 03:58 PM   #47
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I would just like to say that the voice of Kate Bush has always made me want to shove red-hot spikes in my ears as the logical alternative to having to ever hear it again.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 03:58 PM   #48
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses

Vistalites......mmmmmmm. But seriously, Ginger Baker is one of the drummers that made we want to pick up the sticks and destroy.
Old 06.21.2006, 03:59 PM   #49
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ANY New Kids on the Block...you should burn all that shit unless it's still in good enough shape to take back for store credit.

A good point. But in my defence, i was a young and naive 10 at the time they were popular and Joey Macintyre did weird things to my no no place.
Confucious is sex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 04:06 PM   #50
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
I would just like to say that the voice of Kate Bush has always made me want to shove red-hot spikes in my ears as the logical alternative to having to ever hear it again.

Haha yeah I've seen you write that before. I'm not wild about all of her music. Her early stuff is unique in some respects, but I'm not the hugest fan. I love her mid-period (1985's Hounds of Love is a too-often-overlooked classic) & her 2005 double album is good in the sense that it's better than most of what came out last year.

Just the other day (pardon me, but I cannot recall who) someone else expressed the diametrically opposite opinion of Kate Bush's voice, remarking that she had the best voice on the planet.
Old 06.21.2006, 04:11 PM   #51
porkmarras
invito al cielo

(1985's Hounds of Love is a too-often-overlooked classic)?
In what part of the world?

Old 06.21.2006, 04:14 PM   #52
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Kate Bush is a polarizer for sure.
I will not say she "sucks," because there is obvious talent there. Purely a taste issue going on for me. I know plenty of reasonable people who love her voice and music.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 04:18 PM   #53
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
(1985's Hounds of Love is a too-often-overlooked classic)?
In what part of the world?
it's just easier this way

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ounds_of_love/

excerpts

Anxiety
Jan 11, 2006

CD [Rating2736647]
This is one of those albums that, when I meet anyone who means anything significant to me at all, I make sure they've heard at least once so I'll have the comfort of knowing they've at least experienced it before they die.

Of course, most people I meet have already heard this album, so it's not like I'm exactly standing on street corners ranting the gospels of Kate.

This album is an absolute masterpiece, deserving of every bloated accolade thrown its way (including these).

As she would do again to greater (yet somewhat simpler) effect on 2005's Aerial, this album is divided into a set of loosely woven pop chestnuts which open the album and (what I suppose can be called) a mini-rock opera which takes up the album's second side.

The first half is full of Kate Bush classics: "Running Up That Hill", "The Big Sky", "Cloudbusting", "Mother Stands for Comfort" and the title track all attach themselves with undeniable melody, quirky and sensual songwriting and, often, a stew of oddly seductive bombast.

The second half of the record is anyone's guess, but it sure does sound good. Subtitled "The Ninth Wave" (presumably after a Tennyson poem), it's the story of a woman trapped at sea, drowning, either dreaming or re-living (or living through) a witch trial. I think. And then she dies and floats above the earth and hears astronauts. Or something like that, I'm pretty sure. To be honest, I never sat down and mapped the thing out or researched what she was on about (until now, and even Google isn't bringing me closure).

What I do know is, Hounds of Love is a loopy slice of delirious beauty, crafted with love and care by someone who wanted her music to be enjoyed for years to come. Kate Bush has never been one to release anything on a level less than epic, and this album is the perfect example of the artist in her prime.

Tatem
May 21, 2006

CD [Rating4919673]
Once in a while you come across an album which you cannot believe you had never listened to it earlier. I expected Hounds of Loveto be tainted by the sound of the eighties like so much music from that decade, and yes there are synthesisers, but what an incredibly lush, atmospheric album this is. Chiefly that is due to Kate herself who is rightly a national treasure in Britain and someone who creates something so wierd and unique, yet so successful has to be applauded. Running Up That HillCloudbustingHounds Of Loveare all intoxicating pieces of music that still sound great today with those totally unique vocals. This is a Kate Bush album that is both accessible and bonkers in the way only she can do.

MoaM
May 01, 2006

Digital [Rating4715919]
Gawd, this album is the perfect combination of danceable tunes and experimentation. "A Jig For Life"? I'm doing a jig For Kate Bush!

Jiggity-Jig. Jig.

Has someone dubbed her the queen of Prog-Pop yet?
GalleryMinstrel
Mar 31, 2006

CD [Rating4402849]
She has such exquisite range, and her music takes me away to a dream land. Few women have dared go where Kate takes us on this magical journey. She plays the piano better than even Tori could, and not only that but the entire album is good from start to amazing finish. "Cloudbusting" is one of my all time favourite songs, everyone should own this.

daddythoseme

May 19, 2006

[Rating4889897]
Words cannot describe the genius of this album.
It is perfect, probably the best album of all time.
Kate Bush is a channel for the divine, and this album proves, beyond doubt, the existence of God.
Old 06.21.2006, 04:20 PM   #54
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
listens to be heard:
stereolab
ledbelly
roue'
serge gainsbourgh (the dub style record)
the upsetters
galaxie 500
marc ribot
bikini kill
dj shadow
raphe malik
horace silver quintet
dizzy gillespie - panamericana
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 04:24 PM   #55
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:

excerpts

Anxiety
Jan 11, 2006

CD [Rating2736647]
This is one of those albums that, when I meet anyone who means anything significant to me at all, I make sure they've heard at least once so I'll have the comfort of knowing they've at least experienced it before they die.

Of course, most people I meet have already heard this album, so it's not like I'm exactly standing on street corners ranting the gospels of Kate.

This album is an absolute masterpiece, deserving of every bloated accolade thrown its way (including these).

As she would do again to greater (yet somewhat simpler) effect on 2005's Aerial, this album is divided into a set of loosely woven pop chestnuts which open the album and (what I suppose can be called) a mini-rock opera which takes up the album's second side.

The first half is full of Kate Bush classics: "Running Up That Hill", "The Big Sky", "Cloudbusting", "Mother Stands for Comfort" and the title track all attach themselves with undeniable melody, quirky and sensual songwriting and, often, a stew of oddly seductive bombast.

The second half of the record is anyone's guess, but it sure does sound good. Subtitled "The Ninth Wave" (presumably after a Tennyson poem), it's the story of a woman trapped at sea, drowning, either dreaming or re-living (or living through) a witch trial. I think. And then she dies and floats above the earth and hears astronauts. Or something like that, I'm pretty sure. To be honest, I never sat down and mapped the thing out or researched what she was on about (until now, and even Google isn't bringing me closure).

What I do know is, Hounds of Love is a loopy slice of delirious beauty, crafted with love and care by someone who wanted her music to be enjoyed for years to come. Kate Bush has never been one to release anything on a level less than epic, and this album is the perfect example of the artist in her prime.

Tatem
May 21, 2006

CD [Rating4919673]
Once in a while you come across an album which you cannot believe you had never listened to it earlier. I expected Hounds of Loveto be tainted by the sound of the eighties like so much music from that decade, and yes there are synthesisers, but what an incredibly lush, atmospheric album this is. Chiefly that is due to Kate herself who is rightly a national treasure in Britain and someone who creates something so wierd and unique, yet so successful has to be applauded. Running Up That HillCloudbustingHounds Of Loveare all intoxicating pieces of music that still sound great today with those totally unique vocals. This is a Kate Bush album that is both accessible and bonkers in the way only she can do.

MoaM
May 01, 2006

Digital [Rating4715919]
Gawd, this album is the perfect combination of danceable tunes and experimentation. "A Jig For Life"? I'm doing a jig For Kate Bush!

Jiggity-Jig. Jig.

GalleryMinstrel
Mar 31, 2006

CD [Rating4402849]
She has such exquisite range, and her music takes me away to a dream land. Few women have dared go where Kate takes us on this magical journey. She plays the piano better than even Tori could, and not only that but the entire album is good from start to amazing finish. "Cloudbusting" is one of my all time favourite songs, everyone should own this.

daddythoseme

May 19, 2006

[Rating4889897]
Kate Bush is a channel for the divine, and this album proves, beyond doubt, the existence of God.

Erm....what are we trying to say here atari?You're just copying and pasting reviews of 'Hounds of Love' that declare its genius.Been there,watched the movie,read the book etc etc.My question was,where is this album meant to be criminally underrated?I've hardly ever read a bad review about it.Just asking..........

Old 06.21.2006, 04:33 PM   #56
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:

excerpts

Anxiety
Jan 11, 2006

CD [Rating2736647]

Tatem
May 21, 2006

CD [Rating4919673]

MoaM
May 01, 2006

Digital [Rating4715919]

Jiggity-Jig. Jig.

GalleryMinstrel
Mar 31, 2006

CD [Rating4402849]

daddythoseme

May 19, 2006

[Rating4889897]

I also have the original 'Hounds of Love' VHS and i can do the 'trapped into a box' dance moves just like Kate used to do in early videos.In front of my mirror.

Old 06.21.2006, 04:33 PM   #57
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I thought this thread was just to let peope know what we have been listening to lately (old and new) not to hype some new obscure bands. Cuz I could do that till the cows come home. TILL THE COWS COME HOME DAMNIT!
Old 06.21.2006, 04:33 PM   #58
atari 2600
invito al cielo

What part of "it's just easier this way" do you feign to not understand?

I jammed to Silver's Opus de Funk just yesterday, RdTv.

Horace is no Bud, Art, Lennie, Thelonius, Red, McCoy, Herbie, Bill, Keith, Sal or Brad.

Horace Silver's playing is mighty fine though. I know Hip Priest & I can at least agree on that last point.
Old 06.21.2006, 04:37 PM   #59
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
What part of "it's just easier this way" do you feign to not understand? .

I jammed to Silver's Opus de Funk just yesterday, RdTv.
Oh look,granddad is getting all offensive again.

Old 06.21.2006, 04:59 PM   #60
atari 2600
invito al cielo

what a tangled web you weave, porkmarras.

I fully realize that I made a mistake by participating in this thread & championing some of my favorite artists that don't get much respect here.
I thought that was what the topic was about, but found out the topic was really "we're bored, so let's badger & bait atari 2600."

Kate Bush gets primarily negative reviews at this forum (whenever I mention her, which, as you can notice, is precisely why I chose to omit her from the first two lists) & (as you mentioned yourself) this isn't fair, because it's difficult to find any bad reviews of Hounds of Love.

Is there so much hate for the ones we love?
Tell me we both matter--
Don't we?
-Running Up That Hill

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth